Question on Flight arrival in Tahiti

bionicbeacher

We are thinking about arranging our flight to Papeete with Princess( from Toronto through LA)

We have heard that with the late arrival of Air Tahiti, Princess arranges to bring you in the night before Embarkation day and also arranges accommodation for the night before as part of the package...are we correct in assuming this.

We were concerned that they would fly us in late on Embarkation Day and we wouldn't have any time to spend in Papeete.

Would appreciate any input from those in the kinow.

Cheers

Ken

We are thinking about arranging our flight to Papeete with Princess( from Toronto through LA)

We have heard that with the late arrival of Air Tahiti, Princess arranges to bring you in the night before Embarkation day and also arranges accommodation for the night before as part of the package...are we correct in assuming this.

We were concerned that they would fly us in late on Embarkation Day and we wouldn't have any time to spend in Papeete.

Cheers

Ken

We arranged our own air (ATN from LAX) on a 1pm flight which arrived in Tahiti around 7:30-7:45pm. We had purchased the Princess transfer and we boarded the last bus as we stopped to change money at the bank in the airport. We went directly to the ship. Got a good night's sleep and had plenty of time the next day before sailing to browse and shop in Papeete. Could have taken an island tour and still had time to go to the market, unless it's Sunday. I've heard it's not fully open then. There are many people on this board who can help in your planning, so ask all the questions you want.

We arranged our own air from Vancouver via LA. We departed on the 1600 Air Tahiti Nui flight from LA and arrived about 2300 in Papeete...to the Radisson Plaza Hotel (prebooked online) sometime between midnight and 0100. We did not use Princess transfers to the hotel, just hired a cab at the curb which was very easy. We had booked two nights at the Radisson Plaza so we could have one complete day of relaxation before boarding the ship. Even if you have just the one night in a hotel before embarkation, it should be pretty relaxed as you can board the Royal Princess any time from midmorning onward. The ship remains in port (right at the pier directly on the waterfront boulevard of Papeete) that whole day of embarkation as well as the full day the following day as you do not sail away until supper time on the day after boarding. Some people did not even fly in or board until the actual day of sailing.

Cheers

Ken

Ken, if Princess is now arranging to fly you in the night before and providing accomodations, this is something brand new that I have never heard of before.

We have seen passengers arrive at 5:00 AM and taken to the Sheraton to wait for transfers to the pier later that morning (no room provided), we have also seen passengers with Princess arranged flights arriving long into the night on embarkation day. (we normally sail from Hawaii to Tahiti and stay onboard for the 10 night Tahiti cruise, so we watch the passengers arriving long into the night and early morning hours on Princess arranged flights). One thing I have never heard of or seen is Princess providing complimentary accomodations for passengers for a night in Tahiti. I am not sure where you got your information, but I would check with your travel agent or Princess on this one, as I think it is incorrect. I haven't heard of Princess providing you a hotel room (when you didn't book and pay for it) in Tahiti as long as they can get you to the port before the ship sails.

I think you will have a choice of booking their pre-cruise hotel (therefore not having to pay the deviation fee for the flight), or paying the deviation fee and coming in the day prior to the ship boarding and booking the hotel yourself. But I must repeat, I have never heard of Princess bringing passengers in the day prior to Papeete and providing a complimentary hotel room for the night so they will have time in Papeete the next day. This is why they sell pre-cruise packages for those that would like time in the embarkation port. ;)

Best of luck on this one, and I would call and verify this before making up my mind to book, or deciding how you will arrange your travel to Papeete.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

Ken

Yes, this is true. You will have plenty of time in Papeete, although you don't need much time...We were on board by 11:30am the day b4 sailing. Some passengers arrived at 11 pm the day b4 sailing, and still had the next day in Papeete. Have a good time. Don't worry.

Yes, this is true. You will have plenty of time in Papeete, although you don't need much time...We were on board by 11:30am the day b4 sailing. Some passengers arrived at 11 pm the day b4 sailing, and still had the next day in Papeete. Have a good time. Don't worry.

If you check out the OP's countdown of future cruises, it seems they are enquiring about the Papeete to Sydney cruise, which has a totally different itineary then the 10 day Tahitian cruise where you have the entire next day docked in Papeete. ;)

Archived