Advice needed on transportation to ship in Barcelona

We are on the Splendour on June 4, 2005. Any advice on whether we should take a taxi or the ship transfer to the ship?

Do the taxi drivers usually speak English? I am a little nervous about being in a foreign country.

It sounds like to me this is your first trip to Europe. Don't panic...we sailed on Splendor last June and the wife loved it. We use taxis is Barcelona three times. None of the taxi drivers we had could speak English. Taxi fare from the airport to the port should run you about $22 to $27 Euros. We spent two nights precruise and two nights post cruise in Barcelona. The only time we had a problem was going from the Hotel to the Cruise Ship. Once I realized this driver was headed to the Air Port and not the Port I showed him my Cruise Ship Documents. This would be a good thing to do if you use a cab because there are several port terminals at the Port. If you are flying directly into Barcelona and plan on getting on the ship the day you arrive plan ahead. You are going to be jet lagged and it is confusing just landing in a different country. Barcelona has a really nice airport and I found the people to be "interesting" especially the French. If you are doing Splendor you might want to do a Ship excursion at Marsallie. The excursions into the French countryside was outstanding. Do your homework, your cruise is a very enjoyable one. Tim and Cathy.

Norwegian Sky Alaska 05/03

Norwegian Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Meditterean 05/04

We flew into Barcelona for our Med cruise in 2003 and used the ships transfers to get the ship. It made it a lot easier since they met us at the airport and then took us on a bus to the port. Since neither of us speaks spanish we decided that was the safest and easiest way to get there. I would recommend that over taxis especially since the cost should be about the same as what was quoted above.

Have a great next cruise.

Thanks for the information. I hadn't thought of showing my cruise documents. That's a good idea.

It is our first trip to Europe and I am very excited about it.

Did you use mostly the ship's excursions, or did you book on your own?

My travel agent told me transfers were $46 per person round trip. She said the airport is only 8 miles from the port, but it takes 40 minutes to get there - sounded high to me. I guess though if a taxi is $27 Euros, it is really not that much more.

HI Judy,

Traffic in Barcelona can really be terrible. We did a ship's tour to see the Sacred Family Cathredral by the architect Gaudi. The traffic around the dock was terrible but after we got away from there it was just busy until we started back and then we got caught in a traffic jam that had shut down the main central highway. The bus driver and guide got together and figured a back way to the dock but we got several views of the cars stopped on the highway and I mean stopped and people out walking around. When we got back to the dock area again the trucks, buses, cars and taxis made it a mess again. We were glad to get back to the ship although we were glad we did get to see the Sacred Family Cathedral. It is really something.

As I said earlier I would suggest taking the ship provided transportation. You can be sure you will make it to the airport because it is in their best interest to get you there. Also the difference in cost is small and by the time you tip the cab driver it will probably work out about the same. You don't need to tip the bus driver.

Have a great next cruise.

Since this is your first trip to Europe are you in for a treat. I think I have this one figured out for you. If you are arriving on the day your ship sails it would be to your benefit to do the Cruise Ship transfer. Thats because your are paying in dollars. The downside to this is the uncontrolable. If your plane should be diverted for any reason this can be stressful. There was a young couple we sailed with from Phoenix that made the ship on the day of the sailing but their plane had been divered because of mechanical issues. Flying into Barcelona a day or two in advance takes the stress out of this situation. However the cost of staying at a hotel in Barcelona can be pricy ($100 to $220) depending on your hotel quality level.

Take a good look at excursions. I would highly recommed the "Les Beaux" tour at Marsallie. Marsallie is your first port of call and you will be tired from your transalantic flight. This excursion is a half day trip so you do not have to hurry in the morning and can leave at a desent time. Unfortunately Marsallie is not like Paris. My wife freaks out when I say lets ride the trains. She did ride the train into Monico from Villdefrance. This is a nice place to do a on your own excursion.

We did the Ships Excursion into Florance and Rome. By the way, there is alot to do and see when you get to Rome. By the time we got to Naples we were so tired that we just walked around the port. It looks like the tour of Pompi will have to wait next time. For you I would suggest taking the hydrofoil to Capi. The hydrofoil's are right there at the Port an easy walk from the Ship. Just make sure you alow enough time to get back to the ship.

Another thing to consider is taking early dinner. Most Europeans do the late dinner which starts anywhere around 8-10 PM. At the early seating there is hardly anyone there so you do get sevice that is outstanding. I hope this information helps. You will love this Cruise. Tim and Cathy

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the tips, Tim and Cathy~We are looking forward to OUR Med cruise on the Splendor on August 27th. I will surely look into the transfers from the ship from the airport as we are arriving at 1 pm on the day the ship sails!!! Lori and Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing to know is who you are being charged when taking a taxi in Baceloan. One thing to remember is the charge is usually higher than what the meter reads. The reason for this is the fact that you are being charged for the number of bags you have. For example if the meter reads $23 Euros and the final price is $27 Euros your being charged for the number of bags plus the transportation the your destination. I know some American's think they are being ripped off but thats not the case. If you are going to the Port make sure you show your Cruise Documents. On the Documents will be the port terminal to go to. With most taxi drivers not knowing English it does cause some confusion. If you arrive in Barcelona a day before the cruise and are heading to the Las Ramblas area I would highly recommend taking the "Aero Porto Bus" Cheap and now you get the experience that the Europeans get...its call public transportation. In Europe local transportation is great. By the way the Euro this Friday closed at $1.25. This is what the Euro was trading at last year when we were in Barcelona. This means you are getting .75 cent on the dollar. Not a bargain but it has been as bad as .64 to the dollar. Enjoy Barcelona and its wonderful beaches. Tim

Archived