Sunscreen for Cozumel

DQlover

I believe I read somewhere that you need to have enviornmentally-friendly sunscreen while in Cozumel. There was a reference to preservation of the reefs.

Does anyone know if this is accurate, if mandatory, and if so where to purchase this sunscreen.

Thanks.

They will have the sunscreen for purchase down there in alot of differ stores. Now im not sure if it is for the entire island that it is required but I do know most if not all the National Marine parks require it. I had a ton of info on this and cant find it. Ill post some of what I do have saved.

http://www.puertovallartatours.net/biodegradable-sunscreen.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k663433-Biodegradable_sunscreen-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

we were told this last year and when we got there saw people putting on the regular store brands nothing enviromentally friendly and no one was saying anything to them. We still have the stuff and we will use it becuase we want to do our part for protecting the reefs and such....but the stuff is expensive and also has a different feel. I just choose not to wear the stuff instead and for hubby and DS who are very fair to wear it no matter what. It is like paint to me.

They require the special stuff at Xel Ha and Xcaret and supposedly at all national marine parks in Mexico. They sell it at the parks, but it is cheaper if you get it ahead of time. We bought MexiTan SPF 15 online. The label says it is all natural and no harsh chemicals. The main thing is that whatever you use has to be biodegradable. Got it from Mexitan dot com and delivery was quick. Also got some great insect repellant (Skeedadle) in a small pump spray. Works well and is also biodegradable. FYI they checked at Xel Ha. Lots of people went without any lotion because they thought it was too expensive. We fly down to Cozumel or Akumal to snorkle a couple of times a year and have used this stuff for several years now.

You can buy these at all the "natural" grocery stores in your area at home and they usually have testers open you can try for a better "feel". Of course, if you live someplace that doesn't exactly operate with a natural, organic, or environmental attitude, you'll need to get it online.

Just think though, if the chemical laden sunblock (or other shampoos, cosmetics, etc) are bad for the reef, don't you think that all those chemicals might also be bad for you? just sayin...

I switched to chemical (and paraben, petroleum, fragrance) free skincare, cosmetics, and shampoos about 6 months ago...my skin has never looked better. Devita brand is awesome (and they make sunblock).

Here is some information about the requirements and reasons for using biodegradable.

Biodegradable sunscreen is the only type of sunscreen that is allowed on any snorkeling tour, scuba diving trip, or other water activity inside Cozumel's protected marine park, or at the major parks like Chankanaab, Xcaret, Xel Ha, and Garrafon. This is not our rule, it is federal regulation, and it is enforced. Make sure you plan for this when coming to Cozumel.

We recommend MexiTan, because it is specifically engineered for use on the coral reefs of Mexico. It also says "Biodegradable" in big huge red letters on the front of the bottle, so it is easy to prove to the parks that it is in fact biodegradable - no hassles with trying to prove it to them. However, there are several other kinds available that are good as well.

Q: What is biodegradable sunscreen?

A: Biodegradable sunblock is environmentally friendly sunscreen that lacks the harmful ingredients that are destroying the world's coral reefs. These sunscreens are biodegradable, meaning they break down naturally in the environment, and eco-friendly, meaning that they minimize damage to the environment. We strongly encourage using only biodegradable sunscreen anytime you are going to be in the water.

Q: How do I know if my sunscreen is biodegradable?

A: If it doesn't say it is on the package then it isn't. None of the major brands are biodegradable - such as Coppertone, Banana Boat, No-Ad, etc.

Q: Are there certain ingredients to watch out for?

A: Some of the most harmful ingredients that many sunscreens contain, including some that are actually biodegradable such as those made by Nature's Gate, are PABA, octinoxate, oxybenzone, 4-methylbenzylidene camphor and the preservative butylparaben. If your sunscreen has any of these ingredients, it is not safe for use on the reefs.

Q: What kind of damage does sunscreen do to the marine ecosystem?

A: One of the most harmful things to the natural underwater environment of Mexico and elsewhere is the sunscreens, oils, and sunblocks worn by tourists. We don't think of it, but when we swim in the water, these oils come off and settle on the coral reefs and other marine life, and in volume can almost act like an oil slick in the water, creating damage to the delicate ecosystems. The reefs are suffocated, and sunscreens are one of the biggest causes of bleaching to our reefs, and the death of much of the world's coral.

Q: Why does coral get bleached? Is coral bleaching really a problem?

A: The ingredients in normal sunscreens promote viral infection in the coral, as well as covering it with oils and goo. Between 4,000 and 6,000 tons of sunscreen wash off swimmers every year on their vacations. As much as 25% of the world's coral reefs are in imminent danger of collapse due to human pressures, and another 25% is in longer term danger.

Q: I've never heard of this before. Are you making this stuff up?

A: See the links below for the latest information.

National Geographic: Swimmer's Suncreen Killing Off Corals

E-Turbo News: Tourist Sunscreen Killing Off Coral Reefs

Indian Ocean Sea Turtles: Sunscreen May Be Killing Corals

Environmental Science & Tech: Sunscreens go Viral on Coral

Discover Magazine: The Biology of Sunscreens

Archived