Athens/Dephi/Monestary tours

newbie2468

Any suggestions as to who to use for a Delphi/Monestary tour? We have seen Athens and are ready to "venture" out... Any other ideas.. >We will be in Greece for 3 days... Thanks for any information... Has anyone stayed in the Plaka Palace Hotel? Ideas for a Hotel? Oh I also read about Mount Athos... but I think it said "no women" could go there?

Tory

When you say Delphi/Monastery -- I assume you mean Meteora? As you probably already know, that's an overnight tour. There are many different options ranging from inexpensive large-bus tours to private drivers -- what do you have in mind?

I just spent 4 days in Athens after my cruise, plus one day pre-cruise (and another day on a previous cruise) and still feel there were things in Athens worth seeing that I haven't gotten to! I'm not sure how much time you've spent there, but both museums -- the National Archaeological Museum and the Acropolis Museum are wonderful. The Greek and Roman agoras would also be high on my list, and the Temple of Olympian Zeus. If you get tired of ancient ruins, there are some lovely Byzantine churches as well.

I visited Delphi (in a long day trip) but opted not to go to Meteora and do the overnight, because I didn't want to short my time in Athens.

• 2 weeks later...
Delphi / Monastary could be Hosios Loukas monastary which is just outside of Livadia a side visit on the way to or back from Delphi. Meteora is a 3-4 hour drive from Delphi making it an overnight stay or an extremeley long day!

Is Meteora closer or further from Athens? We are thinking of going to Delphi this year as a day trip, and Meteora next year prior to a another cruise. Thanks.

Meteora is further away from Athens about 450kms from there in the North of Greece, nearest town is KALAMBAKA.

Ok, thanks. If we go to Delphi this year, and than fly to Athens a couple of days early next year prior to a cruise and want to go to Meteora, do we end up driving by Delphi? Thanks.

You can drive up and back past Thermopylae on the way to Kalambaka. If you go to Delphi first, you will come back on the other road.

I recommend the Pension-Restaurant-Taverna Arsenis for your hotel. Very reasonable, clean rooms w/own bathroom and really good food.

On a previous trip, we hired George "the famous taxidriver" to pick us up at the airport and drive us to Delphi and then to Meteora. He made the arrangements at the Arsenis. After taking us to all the monasteries in Meteora in the morning and a late lunch in Kalambaka, he drove us to our hotel in Athens. He came back past Thermopylae and we made a brief stop there to see the thermal spring.

Ok, thanks. If we go to Delphi this year, and than fly to Athens a couple of days early next year prior to a cruise and want to go to Meteora, do we end up driving by Delphi? Thanks.

Not really driving towards Delphi you exit the Highway after about 80kms whereas you would continue north till Lamia for Meteora.

Archived