Labadee, Haiti. Good port excursions?

pldpheex3

Been to Labadee 5 times and this upcoming August will be #6

There are some great things to do.

For us we loved:

Zip line, well worth the money.

Jet Skis, being "land locked" at home we love this, even though it is follow the leader it is great.

Dragons coaster is a nice ride, but I see they raised the price.

The only activity we did not like was the water slide, over priced and not fun, quite lame and boring, no view.

We also do free stuff, swim, float and snorkel(included barefoot beach).

Eat, visit the vendors and spend some money.

Enjoy,

Safe travels

They aren't though. They only let in a few, leave them in the same low level jobs, and hire your service manager from South Africa. There are ladies sitting around in the restrooms handing out towels expecting a tip like any 3rd world area. That's helping? It's not a knock on Haiti, but RCI is taking advantage. Every other private island feels like a luxury resort. Not here.

Our jet ski guide said you can't snorkel at Haiti because the locals have overfished it and there aren't enough fish. They're that desperate. Such wealth of middle class Westerners juxtaposed against such dire poverty...

I would like to believe RCI, but they seemed to have set up the system that continues the cycle of poverty.

It's unlikely that you will come back to this thread, but I do want to let you know that Royal Caribbean is INDEED helping the Haitian economy. Simply put - almost EVERYONE you see at Labadee is Haitian - sure, some of the managers/supervisors are RCI imports, but everyone else you see takes home money from working at Labadee - and I will bet dollars to donuts that it's a lot more than the average Haitian makes. While it may not be as much as you and I make - they are well above average for a Haitian.

Also, did you know Royal Caribbean built, and sponsors a school just up the hill from Labadee? Check out my post history - you will see my trip report when I visited it with my family by special permission. There are teachers, and support staff who are employed at that school that RCI built.

• 1 year later...