Nachi Cocom Gluten Free?

ks&ks

Has anyone with Celiac Disease been to Nachi or an other all-inclusive? Just wondering if there are any options for food and/or drinks that would be gf.

Thanks!:)

Obviously they will not have a separate GF menu, but there are choices that work. We have been GF for 5 years and I know within 30 minutes (sometimes earlier) If I have been glutened. If you can eat corn, you are OK. Just make sure anything is on corn tortillas - hecho con cien por ciento maiz (made with 100% corn). We had no problems with the chips, pico de gallo, guacamole, tacos (on corn tortillas) fajitas and grilled fish. If the fish is fresh that day unbreaded fish should not be a problem. I ask for no beans because I can't be sure what is in their refried beans. Some brands in the US are GF others have wheat in them.

We have eaten at Nachi, Palancar Beach & Mr. Sanchos with no problem. I can't remember which one made me quesadillas on corn tortillas. They were worried because they would be smaller. I said no problem - they ended up bringing me a double order.

Tell them you need food without gluten. (Necesito comida sin Gluten.) If they don't understand that then I tell them I am allergic to wheat - that they understand. ( Soy alergico al trigo.) If you can't have milk too then add "y leche" to the sentence.

Usually the ingredients are all fresh, so there is no issue with food additives and flavorings that contain gluten and there should be no barley or oats or rye in their food. Sorry, no GF beer, but the margaritas are a safe bet.

They have gringo food, but why go that route when in Mexico? - more chance of gluten contamination.

Actually, I have had better luck eating in Mexico than I have in many US restaurants that claim they have a GF menu. Ever get to the bottom of your salad at Outback after you specifically said no croutons and found crouton crumbs? Just happened right before Christmas. I was so ticked off because I knew I would be sick for days and I was by the time we got home. I am very sensitive. Stomach cramps and the inevitable that follows that, and I get a migraine and my gluten ataxia gets worse and I can hardly walk without falling over (and that's without any alcohol).

DebJ14,

Thanks so much for the information! We've been to Cozumel several times but never done an all-inclusive there. Since we're paying for food as well, I was hoping there would be a couple options that would work. We're very excited and it seems like a beautiful beach to visit. I have gf dining cards that I'll bring again with me as well. We had the same thing happen to us out our local restaurant before Christmas. It sounds like your reaction to gluten is very similar to mine.

Thanks again for your help!

• 5 years later...

I realize this is an old thread/request but I had the same inquiry before we went to Nachi Cocom and never found a solid answer here in Cruise Critic before going. I even e-mailed Nachi before going and they just sent me a link to the menu.

We just went there last week and I am happy to report that they were able to make a custom plate for me that was gluten free. Just explain your need to your waiter. Here is a photo of what they made me: (sorry a little blurry)

Nachi_Cocom_GF_Lunch_zpsueoyazvd.jpg

Chicken, rice, and veggies. (no issues for me and I am Celiac)

It was delicious btw :)