Club HAL on Zaandam

brego

We are sailing on the Zaandam on 3/26. I know that with the recent reburbishment there were more extensive children's facilities added.I am wondering where they are located. I know Club HAL used to be on the Sky Deck. Is it still there? I am traveling with a "tween" (12 year old). The web site has not updated the ship floor plan since 2004 and I have not been able to get ahold of the the new brochure. Also, where is the Exploration Cafe located? Thank you for your help!

Hi,

I have just joined this message board and saw your post. We are traveling on the Zaandam also leaving on the 26th of March from Cape Canaveral. I also have a 12 year old son traveling with me. It sounds like you have been on this ship before. Is it nice? Is your 12 year old a boy or a girl?

To get a better idea of the type of facilities Zaandam has, I'd recommend going to the HAL information on the Ryndam's SOE improvements. The facilities should be quite simular. We will be cruising with boys ages 12, 13, 16 and 17 the week before you cruise.:cool:

Cruisinwithkids - I have a 12 year old daughter, Sarah. What is your sons name? I think there will be lots of kids on this cruise being Easter break. We have been on the Zaandam and loved it. I have older children as well and all had a great time!

In reference to the refurbishment, I have looked at the Ryndam but can't figure out where the Club HAL is located on the ship.

Thanks for the reply, Brego. My son's name is Derek. We did a Carnival cruise last year over Spring Break and there were a bunch of kids on that one. We had a great time, as we were also traveling with a lot of friends and kids. This year I am traveling with family: my son and 8 year old daughter and 7 & 8 year old nephews (along with their parents and grandparents).

But of course, Derek is looking to meet some kids his age.

Have you been on the Western Caribbean trip before? If so, do you have any recommendations for excursions? We are booking them off the ship and have found some we like, but I am not sure what to do in Montego Bay.

Thanks for the reply, Brego. My son's name is Derek. We did a Carnival cruise last year over Spring Break and there were a bunch of kids on that one. We had a great time, as we were also traveling with a lot of friends and kids. This year I am traveling with family: my son and 8 year old daughter and 7 & 8 year old nephews (along with their parents and grandparents).

But of course, Derek is looking to meet some kids his age.

Have you been on the Western Caribbean trip before? If so, do you have any recommendations for excursions? We are booking them off the ship and have found some we like, but I am not sure what to do in Montego Bay.

Hi Cruisinwkids. My son is 13 and my daugther is 17. there names are Ross and Tiffany. Just wanted to let you know there is a wonderful excursion that I know of that goes to YS Falls and river tubing. It is an all day thing and includes lunch and snacks. it is out of the way on private land. Not alot of people there. You will be away from all the rudness of the towns people also. If you are interested in this let me know and I will give you some info on it. If you love nature this will be a blast for yall. :D Well, thought I would say hi and a few other things:rolleyes: . Hope to see yall on the ship. have a great day.

Is any one travelling with little children? We will have a 2 1/2 year old grandaughter with us. I know there is no "club" for her but I'm sure she would love to see children her own age. Also on the Zaandam 3/26. There will be 15 of us welcoming a nepew safely back from Iraq but Christina is the only child.

Hi Cruisinwkids. My son is 13 and my daugther is 17. there names are Ross and Tiffany. Just wanted to let you know there is a wonderful excursion that I know of that goes to YS Falls and river tubing. It is an all day thing and includes lunch and snacks. it is out of the way on private land. Not alot of people there. You will be away from all the rudness of the towns people also. If you are interested in this let me know and I will give you some info on it. If you love nature this will be a blast for yall. :D Well, thought I would say hi and a few other things:rolleyes: . Hope to see yall on the ship. have a great day.

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I had read about the YS falls and it looks great, but I was afraid it would be too far. I have been looking at Mayfield Falls. I think they are closer. Are you familiar with them? I woudl love to see what you have on YS. My sister in law wants to go to Negril, so that's on the table, too.

I'm sure my son will want to meet Ross. Derek is in 6th grade and we live in VA.

Hope to meet you on the ship.

Hi! We are also cruising on the Zaandam on March 26 with our 13-year-old twin daughters (Brielle & Starla). We can't wait and neither can they. This will be their first 7-day cruise (we took them on the Disney 3-day a few years ago) so they're in for a big treat. They haven't really expressed an interest in the Club Hal so far but we're hoping they find a few friends to hang out with.

Also, does anyone know anything about the horseback riding in Montego Bay where you ride and then swim with your horse? Sounds interesting and fun but we're not sure if we should sign up.

Thanks! See you in 23 days!!

hello again cruisinwkids. YS Falls is about 1 hour and a half away. Only about 35 miles but Carolyn tells you alot of educational stuff about Jamaica. you stop on the way for some fresh cut pineapple also. Mayfield falls is about 15-25 minutes away. Although YS falls are alot more spectacular mayfield is also nice from what I hear. Go to www.BarrettAdventures.com this will tell you more about all the tours they have to offer. She books on the trust system..which means when you tell her you want to go she writes your name down and she expects you to be there. you don't pay till your there. Also I was wanting to tell you about Moby dick tours for Cayman Island. great sting ray city tour and only 30$ per person. He does the same way when booking. Hope this helps you out some and maybe we will see you on these tours. We are on both of these tours and undecided on Cozumel. We did the Catamaran Fury the last time we was there and it was a blast. Negril is ok for like 18 and above. I don't think I would take my young kids there. alot of people offering drugs and there always asking. thats the reason we are going to ys this time. well, again I hope this helps. Just remember this is just my opinion. You might like alot of other things:) . Till the 26th, stay safe and smilin:D

hello again cruisinwkids. YS Falls is about 1 hour and a half away. Only about 35 miles but Carolyn tells you alot of educational stuff about Jamaica. you stop on the way for some fresh cut pineapple also. Mayfield falls is about 15-25 minutes away. Although YS falls are alot more spectacular mayfield is also nice from what I hear. Go to www.BarrettAdventures.com this will tell you more about all the tours they have to offer. She books on the trust system..which means when you tell her you want to go she writes your name down and she expects you to be there. you don't pay till your there. Also I was wanting to tell you about Moby dick tours for Cayman Island. great sting ray city tour and only 30$ per person. He does the same way when booking. Hope this helps you out some and maybe we will see you on these tours. We are on both of these tours and undecided on Cozumel. We did the Catamaran Fury the last time we was there and it was a blast. Negril is ok for like 18 and above. I don't think I would take my young kids there. alot of people offering drugs and there always asking. thats the reason we are going to ys this time. well, again I hope this helps. Just remember this is just my opinion. You might like alot of other things:) . Till the 26th, stay safe and smilin:D
T

Thank you for all the great suggestions. We booked with Soto in the Caymans. I read a lot about them but did not see anything about Moby Dick. DO they have a web site?

I am still thinking about Mayfield. Both of the falls sound good. I will check out Barretts.

I think we will skip Negril.

In Cozumel, I think we are just going to go to Chankanaab park by taxi. It sounds beautiful and we don't have much time there. WHat do you think?

Cruisinwithkids, it sounds like we have very similar plans. We also are booked with Sotos. Are you doing the morining or afternoon trip. We are in the morning. Have had some concerns about making if off the ship in time with tendering at that port.

Club Hal is located on the sky deck in the rear of the ship. Your kids will love it. I had my 15,14, and 11 year old on the Zaandam in February. The kids had a wonderful time. They will enjoy the loft and the oasis. Have fun and enjoy.

Karen

karensj, thank you for the information. Just out of curiosity, how strict are they with the age use of the oasis. My daughter is 12 (almost 13) and really wants to utilize this space. thanks!

to cruisenwkids. the web site is www.mobydicktours.com .

to brego. I don't think they would have a problem with your daughter being in there. but thats my opinion. I have seen some soon to bes in with the older groups before.

Only 2 more weeks yall. can't wait for it. pray for smooth seas and clear skys.:)

Cruisinwithkids, it sounds like we have very similar plans. We also are booked with Sotos. Are you doing the morining or afternoon trip. We are in the morning. Have had some concerns about making if off the ship in time with tendering at that port.

Hi Brego,

We are going on the morning trip, too. I have the same concern you do. I was told by Joe on his Cayman web site that we should be OK. He recommended that we tell the cruise director that we have an early trip and they will put us on the first tender. So that's what we are hoping for. Joe recommended that afterwards we go to one of the hotels along the 7-mile beach for the afternoon. They let you hang out for free if you buy a few drinks. The Cayman site is http://www.caymanactivityguide.com/forums/index.php

cruisinwithkids, I think if you are on the morning Sotos trip as well we should be OK time wise. Sotos uses pretty small boats so I would imagine that between your party and ours we should take up most of the boat and it would be in their best interest to wait for us.

Cute Cruise Staff,

Thanks for the information. We are leaving on the Zaandam on Saturday and I have heard we have about 130 teenagers on the ship. They will definetly need a few extra staff for that crowd.

Archived