Will Mexico hurt the cruise industry?

Kstofflet

Just curious as we are planning our vacations for 2011 and tend to take 3 cruises a year. Will the Mexican violence hurt the cruise industry with all the negative US press as of late? Alcapulco has definitely had it's share over the past weekend in the news with the death toll at 31 in just four days with 14 decapitated... Not really a cruise stop I now want to visit... Before you say my city or your US city has violence... well maybe? yet, I'm guessing less than 10 in a year "here"... not over a weekend and what seems to be every weekend. Just curious if this will sway folks to different vacation options away from MX

NO. Certainly no more than US violence. All the more inspiration to vacation outside of the US.

I would not feel comfortable going to border towns in Mexico but I would go To the rest of Mexico tomorrow. When the swine flu first started my husband and I went to Mexico for a week. Never thought anything of it. When we got back the panic had set into normal people. Weeks later and I was still hearing how I was carrying the swine flu. We drove from Ma to Mi and back and could not go threw Canada because we had been in Mexico and they were not letting people back in US without a 2day wait.

Acapulco is the only port that I have visited that I did not feel 100% safe in. Plus it is a very smelly city. No desire to go back there, but it's not stopping me from visiting the other parts of Mexico. Cozumel is my favorite, followed by Cabo and PV.

I have been to Cozumel a few times, as recent as this past summer. This, in my opinion is one of the safer ports to visit. Compare it to Jamaica and Antigua.

I have to completly agree with you! Just got back from Cozumel, Caymen Islands and Jamaica. Cozumel was our favorite by far. People were SO nice, prices were very reasonable, and it was absolutly gorgous! Now lets talk about Jamaica... Went to Ocho Rio. Wow....lots of road blocks with police banishing their military machine guns! Had all my kids with us so this was a little more than I expected. On the way back, our tour was running late and our driver put it into gear at 110 kmh in a 60 kmh, swearving in and out of traffic, honking his horn the entire way back to the ship. Pedestrians jumping out of his way and he pushed two other cars right off the road!! We plan on cruising again very soon and two of the four stops are indeed in Mexio. I had no fear at all there. Treated wonderfully by all. Jamaica......Never again!

We spent 3 nights at a resort in Puerto Vallarta this past October, walked around town at night and never felt unsafe. We have another 4 night trip coming up this month and am looking forward to it without any hesitation.

Mexico yes, Ocho Rios no.......:cool:

I think I'd walk naked down the street in Tijuana before I ever went back to Ocho Rios, jamaica.

Let everyone stop going to Mexico and lower the prices for the rest of us, with some common sense.

Bill

I think I'd walk naked down the street in Tijuana before I ever went back to Ocho Rios, jamaica.

Let everyone stop going to Mexico and lower the prices for the rest of us, with some common sense.

Bill

Hear Hear! A man of reason!:D

Archived