What the Real Truth About Rome Pickpockets?

When someone advises wearing no jewelry, do they mean absolutely no jewelry? Should I take off earrings, wedding rings, watches??

You know, I didn't even think about wedding rings & the like when I said no jewelry. I wore earrings, wedding ring & an inexpensive watch. I just wouldn't have worn a Rolex, big diamonds, or such, but then I don't HAVE a Rolex, big diamonds, and such :)

My husband and I have been to Rome previously and we read all the same things in travel guides, websites, etc. that some individuals have posted here on the board. You could get yourself stressed out even before you get to Rome and then are so wired up that you can't enjoy the sites and the many good people you will meet.

Every city we have traveled to both in the US , Europe and Asia carry the same issues - good and bad.

Best advice is to be aware of who is around you.

Enjoy your trip! Europe is fantastic!!!

I never bring a wallet when I travel. I always wear a neck safe and carry small amounts of cash in a front pocket for small purchases and to minimize the number of times I have to pull out the neck safe.

We are presently in Barcelona and spent the last five days in Rome. Happy to report that everyone we met in Rome was very friendly and helpful. We walked all over the city and never had or saw a problem. Just hide your valuables and blend in and you should be fine. We felt very comfortable in the city.

Well, there certainly seems to be a lot of good advice about keeping passports, money and jewelry safe, and/or in the safe which, by the way, the person who occupied our cabin prior to us on a recent cruise in the Mediterranean did not take. After several days of ignoring the in cabin safe, I decided it was a good place to leave my glasses which I often misplace, and while reaching in found a birth certificate with all the appropriate legal seals. Upon turning it in at the reception desk, I was informed this wasn't unusual at all. People have left not only passports, but also airline tickets in the in cabin safe aboard ship. It must be quite a surprise when trying to get home.

Just returned from a cruise including Rome, Barcelona, Casablanca, and many other ports. I left all of the jewelry at home, didn't carry a purse out in town. Didn't see anyone threatening. The groups of kids that I saw were on school trips. In Rome we walked to the Forum, Coliseum, Spanish Steps, and Vatican from our hotel across from the Am. Embassy. I saw other people on our tours wearing expensive jewelry and carrying purses, but didn't hear of any problems.

As I said in earlier post, we felt safe once we got off the metro in Rome, and have always felt safe walking in the ports in the Med.

It's good to know that a copy of your passport will probably do if you do miss the ship. I've never brought my passport into port on cruises and I'll continue to carry a colour copy.

Years ago when I first started travelling in Europe, I had to carry my passport/airline ticket at all times because the places I could afford didn't have safes. One summer I studied at the University in Montpellier in the south of France with 25 other Canadians, staying in residence. Nine out of 25 of us had the purses/wallets picked during te month. Three had their passports stolen. They all figured that it had to have happened on the buses we rode to get into town n the evening. There were students from all over the world so it must have good sport for the pickpockets.

We just returned last night from our cruise. We spent 2 days pre-cruise in Rome. Each day we saw a group of pickpockets. The first group was 5 young girls around 14 years old by the Trajan Forum. They came up to us and started begging for money and then continued trying to distract us by throwing their arms about us and wailing for money. We yelled to get away from us and they did. The next batch was 3 young women each with a baby in tow and one also with a piece of cardboard. We were sitting on the steps of the Vittorio Emmanuel Monument and they were at the right corner just below us as tourists came around the corner. At first, I didn't think anything about it until I saw the cardboard. I quickly told my husband to let's get out of there because there were 3 pickpockets within reach of us. At the same time, suddenly the three ladies together descended on some tourists who fortunately were aware of what was about to take place as the women attempted to distract them. The tourists shouted at the women to get away. In hindsight, I wished I would have yelled "picketpockets" to make others aware. No one was picketpocketed that I could see. Apparently, a woman will put the cardboard in front of tourists' faces while the other two pickpocket or they shove a baby into a tourist's arms and then pickpocket. I also saw various women begging on busy streets with a baby in arms or a dog by them. If the dog started to get spunky, the woman/girl would press the dog flat to the ground again to make the dog look tired or ill.

Two years ago in Piazza Navona, I saw an "old" women dressed in black hunched over and hobbling around as though she were an old widow begging money. At one point, she threw back her black hood, and there erectly stood a young women gleefully counting her money she had just begged from tourists.

Rome is a wonderful place and it is one of my favorite cities, but just be aware of those around you.

Archived