What the Real Truth About Rome Pickpockets?

After reading these posts, and reading elsewhere about pickpockets in Rome, we bought two of the neck wallets from Rick Steeves, along with one of his maps of Italy. Surprisingly, although they said 10 days for shipping, they arrived in 3 days!

The wallets are silk and very very light, with separate pockets for cash, credit card, and passport. We originally were going to use our fanny packs, but after hearing about knives, and having it cut and being removed - we would much rather have something with our valuables inside of our clothes. We tried it out naturally, and it is easy to get to, and is quite comfortable.

I wonder if anyone has had experience where the thief cuts the neck cord? Anyway, thanks for all the great information and advice from all of you.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I still don't understand....Where can you carry money,credit card(s) and cruise card so that they are easily accessible, but away from prying hands? :confused:

Thanks!

Donna

my husband carries one of those truck driver/biker wallets. they have a chain attached, with snap closure (some have zippers) & he keeps it in his front pocket.. most of the time he also keeps his hand IN his pocket also.

I'd like some comments about 'if' the front pants pocket is safer.... I know darn well its a better shot than a back pocket without a chain..... that is just asking for it!.

I wonder if anyone has had experience where the thief cuts the neck cord? Anyway, thanks for all the great information and advice from all of you.

I have seen that some purses have a steel cord in the strap... I was thinking of running something like that in my cheap purse.. also,, maybe a thin piece of wire shoved in the neck strap of what you are talking about would work??

Regarding the infamous #64 bus as mentioned by dbh62ark, we were on it last summer and had a lucky escape. The bus was packed and we were crammed near the back exit. I was separated from my wife and thought I saw a well dressed guy fiddling with her backpack when I heard my daughter yell "what are you doing". My wife had been distracted and was chatting with his well dressed lady partner near the door and hadn't noticed anything amiss. Of course the whole incident was perfectly timed and happened just as we came to a stop and the doors opened and they both jumped off. Fortunatley they got nothing as she had a lot of "crap" packed on top of anything of value and we chalked it up to experience and thanked the guide books for alerting us to the danger before we ever got to Rome. Stay alert and if possible travel in pairs like they do and watch out for one another. Still a great city though!

We had Bob Arno 'perform' on my Golden Med 2003 cruise. He is an expert on pickpockets and has great advice. Check out his Travel Intelligence webpage at bobarno(dot)com/bata.htm. It has great advice and he really is an expert and has done extensive research (plus he is very entertaining). I use a fanny pack (which Bob notes is fine) and I secure it with a safety pin to hold the zippers shut. During Bob's show, he demonstrates how easy it is to lift a man's wallet, even from a front pocket! Bob also notes that carrying your passport around with you is generally not required and not a good idea.

PS It is possible to fly from one country to another with only a copy of your passport in certain situations. A group of 6 of us did this after we missed our ship in Naples and had to fly to Athens to catch up with it. We had a letter from the Italian police and copies of our passport and that was enough. Your risk of losing a passport to a thief is much higher than the chance of you actually needing your passport during the day. We go with the odds and leave ours in the safe. With the exception of checking into a hotel (and planes,etc), we've never needed our passports in our daily travels for work or business.

The gypsies often try to cut the underside of fanny packs and the strap part that goes around your waist on the buses in Rome, so I don't recommend a fanny pack unless it is resistant to knives. As noted before, the gypsies are very good, and they frequently cut without the victim even knowing that their fanny pack (bum bag) was touched. I talked to a man in my hotel who had his cut, and he said he felt pressure because the bus was full so there were people pressing in from all side, but he never felt the cutting. These gypsies are SMART, so you have to do more than just safeguard against pickpocketing in the areas of Italy noted previously (this is not a problem in many areas).

One thing that all of us who have experience in this area have forgotten to mention is that the gypsies are so prevalent on the buses in Rome because the tickets are never checked, so they jump on and off and ride for free.

I also leave my passport in the safe because I think I would rather chance not having it when I need it than to have something happen to it. I regularly read and hear horror stories about the time (even a few days can make a difference) it takes to have it replaced if it's stolen and the enormous travel costs to pay fees for rebooking flights, hotels, etc. that are often not covered by insurance.

On our many European cruises, sometimes the passports are kept, and sometimes they aren't. I haven't seen a pattern on the cruise lines that we've been on in Europe (Holland, Princess, RCCL, NCL), so just FYI.

Donna

• 3 weeks later...

I was robbed once in Rome several years ago by a bunch of gypsy kids, but all they got were traveler's cheques. I knew it was happening when they surrounded me but there were too many to fight them all off. On our last trip to Rome, for the Millennium, I saw a new ploy. They insert their arm inside a rolled up newspaper so you can't see where their hand is. They come up behind you and you think it's just the newspaper, but they're actually getting into your handbag. As a man, I ALWAYS walk with my hand in my pocket gripping my wallet.

You have to be careful in the tourist areas, like around the coliseum. Our local guide explained that under Italian law the kids can't be prosecuted. (I think the cut-off age was 14 or 15), so the parents use the children to do their robbing for them because they can't be touched if they're caught.

All that being said, if you're careful and watch out for bands of kids, you should be okay. Various family members have had their purses snatched on a London bus, by thieves on a Vespa on the French Riviera, and in Paris, but never in Rome.

And one last piece of advice: leave your jewelry and valuables on the ship in the safe. Why advertise for trouble?

You said to watch out for bands of kids. Did you unknowingly walk into the group of kids, or were you accosted by them? I'm concerned because of my own kids. Has anyone ever had that experience where their kids were bothered by the gypsies, or used as bait to get to the parents wallets?

Would everyone agree that a firm NO! with your hand up is the best way to deal with them if they come up to you? Or, should you just ignore them?

When we went to Rome, we also used the neck-wallets. There were 2 pouches. One was zippered, 1 wasn't and the whole thing had a velcroed flap over both compartment. We would put the more valuable things in the zippered compartment: passports, VISA cards, large money denominations, key cards. In the non-zippered compartments, we put smaller demonination bills so we could access it easier. The whole thing sat around our necks, inside our shirts and tucked into our pants 1/2 way. We never had to worry about our pockets being pick-pocketed this way...

On another note, the worst places for pickpockets are around the churches because no one is turned away. Pickpockets will hide inbetween the pews or act as if they are praying. While you're taking in the gorgeous architecture, the pickpockets are into your goods...one person (not in my group, but another group) was pickpocketed in the Sistine Chapel as it is wall-to-wall people and everyone is looking up at the ceiling!!! Perfect diversion!!!

You said to watch out for bands of kids. Did you unknowingly walk into the group of kids, or were you accosted by them? I'm concerned because of my own kids. Has anyone ever had that experience where their kids were bothered by the gypsies, or used as bait to get to the parents wallets?

Would everyone agree that a firm NO! with your hand up is the best way to deal with them if they come up to you? Or, should you just ignore them?

The kids just come up to you. These are not big gangs, just 2,3 or 4. I've been able to just waive them off on occassion. We were walking on the Via Condotti near the Spanish steps. They stick out like a sore thumb in this fancy shopping area. They saw I had my hand in my pocket and I think I threatened them with my umbrella before they even reached me. They crossed the street and looked for another pigeon to rob. I really think everyone is being overly dramatic about this. Rome is really quite safe compared to American cities. If you were a tourist in LA, NYC or Miami there would be plenty of thieves hanging around the airports and tourist areas too. My wallet was lifted at O'Hare some years ago. It can happen anywhere. Actually, in Rome, I think the gypsies are pretty easy to pick out in a crowd, so you have some advantage. I used to wear a money belt but I don't any more. It occurred to me that I don't use one at home in LA, where it is at least as dangerous as abroad, and I find it a nuisance to keep digging under my waistband to pull out money or a credit card. A wallet is easier but I always have my hand in my pocket gripping the wallet when I'm in a crowd. Just don't carry much with you, take reasonable precautions and you should be fine.

What about carrying camera bags and video recorders. Are they also a target of thieves? How should someone protect these?

I think the camera should be in your hand, with the strap wrapped several times around your wrist (in the case of 35mm or a DSLR). I plan to take an extra lens or 2. Small ones. So I'm going with a wired fanny pack for that.

If you have large amounts of gear, it gets tough. Somewhere in my readings, I think I saw something about Rick Steves getting camera gear ripped off on a trip (part of their production video gear).

I had a kid try to pick my pocket on the Metro at Spagna (Spanish Steps). As soon as I step into the car I felt a hand start into my pocket. I immediately grabbed his hand and he took off. The Italian gentleman next to us reached down and picked up my husband's wallet from the floor of the train and handed it to my husband. The only thing we could think was that the kid already had my husband's wallet when I grabbed him and dropped it when he took off.

I would never recommend grabbing a pickpocket....I think I just reacted on instinct. Thank goodness it was daylight in a crowded subway car.

Another trick is for gypsy women to practically shove their tiny infants right at you like they are going to drop the baby if you don't hold out your arms or hands to catch them. What will they think of next to distract us? A friend of mine experienced this several years ago in Rome but luckily they did not have anything stolen.

My main concern about having a bag or pack stolen is that I am unable to travel that light as I am a diabetic and always have to have my glucometer and rapid acting glucose gel or tablets on me at all times. Even though I travel with a spare glucometer, I would hate to have even one stolen!

Our experiences so far.

In Palma airport we had our flight bag opened and our ticket wallet taken prior to a cruise. Never felt a thing and the tickets were retrieved from a bin outside the airport by another passenger.

Two people in the same train carriage between Monte Carlo and Villefranche had their wallets taken. They had been careful and were carrying no cards and just enough money for the day. No one we saw on the train looked any way like gypsies or suspicious.

A fellow passenger was knocked over 'accidentally' in Barcelona, by a respectable couple, who helped her up from the floor. She later discovered her purse missing.

We actually saw a respectably dressed man 'lift' a mobile phone from a woman's bag on the metro in Rome. A shout went out and the woman took back her phone as calm as you like.

The best was in the market in Barcelona. A woman had her purse taken and we saw her husband, a giant of a man, chase after the thief. As we walked down the road, we saw a commotion. The thief was on the floor, bleeding profusely and his nose was a couple of feet away. The woman's husband had hit him so hard that his nose had literally been ripped off.

This is over a 5 year period.

I've been reading all these posts and I haven't read any suggestions as to what people might carry with them as a personal defense item in case they are attact by a group of teenagers or professionals.

I know guns and knives are out of the question (unlike here in the states) but I wonder if one could legally carry a tube of pepper spray around in Rome or Barcelona? If so, would it be legal to carry this pepper spray in our carry on luggage?

I've been reading all these posts and I haven't read any suggestions as to what people might carry with them as a personal defense item in case they are attact by a group of teenagers or professionals.

I know guns and knives are out of the question (unlike here in the states) but I wonder if one could legally carry a tube of pepper spray around in Rome or Barcelona? If so, would it be legal to carry this pepper spray in our carry on luggage?

You are extremely unlikely to get mugged in Rome or Barcelona, although there are dodgy parts of every city. You might get your pocket picked if you are unlucky/unwary, but don't worry about being assaluted by groups of people bent on violence.

Pepper spray is illegal in the UK, as far as I know, and is likely to be illegal in Spain or Italy as well.

Rome and Barcelona are beautiful cities, and it would be a shame to let worry spoil your time there. I have spent time in both cities and never felt threatened, although it is always good to stay alert.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Pickpockets are everywhere. I had my passport and birth certificate taken from my purse at a Golden Spoon Yogert store in Irvine Ca,

I also had some children try to pick my pocket me on the Via Contdeti in Rome. I used my elbows and voice to push them away.

I also had a man..very nicely dressed, try to pick my pocket in Venice. (Don't think they don't do it there..) we were crossing a bridge by the Bridge of Sighs near the Daneli Hotel...I screamed at him and made a scene and he dropped my wallet.

I wasn't afraid as there were a lot of people around.

The point is...dont' wear Rolex watches and diamond jewelry off the ship.

Keep your wits about you and you will be fine. These people will not hurt you..just rob you. especially onTrains and public transport .:)

Forgive me if this has been covered already. I was just quickly scanning this board and was surprised by the advice regarding carrying a passport. We are US citizens living in Germany and we never carry our passport with us when travelling within the country. We were given a wealth of information about the rules and regulations we need to follow (we are US government employees) and were never told that a passport was necessary at all times. The US State Department website may help to clarify this. They are an excellent source for the laws governing your stay in a foreign country. They do not mention a requirement for carrying a passport in Germany. In fact they state that, "Your passport, cash and credit cards are most secure when locked in a hotel safe." (htps://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety) This advice probably applies to all EU countries, but it wouldn't hurt to check out the pages for each country you are visiting, to be on the safe side. Of course, you will need your passport when arriving and departing.:)

I'm sorry that one poster had a run-in with the German police. We haven't had much personal experience with them, but have heard of plenty of stories where different sets of rules applied to Americans. I'm sure it isn't the case for all police officers here, but it does seem to be a trend. You would likely have gotten a hard time with or without your passport!

The State Department website also has great tips for staying safe from pickpockets and other criminals.

We took public transportation everywhere in Rome. You need to be aware of your surroundings but not scared. As I posted earlier, when the young biy tried to pick my pocket (it was empty) in the Metro I grabbed his wrist and he took off. I didn't feel unsafe in any way. We dressed moderately, wore no jewelry, and carried money in money belts under our clothes. No problems!

Got back last week from my Med cruise. I actually got pick-pocketed in Barcelona, but it was funny because whoever it was must have been mighty disappointed! I wore a backpack just to carry things like my sweater, water bottle, map, guidebook, etc, but I carried all my valuables in a Rick Steves moneybelt. After our day exploring Barcelona, when I got back to the pier I realized that the small pocket on the outside of my backpack was unzipped and the contents emptied...the contents being a small packet of tissues, and the little leather folio that contained my cabin cardkey. (I was on a Radisson ship, and they give you your cardkeys in these really nice little leather folder thingies.) Thankfully it wasn't a problem getting onboard -- they just looked me up on the computer and issued me another cardkey on the spot. We all got a laugh out of the fact that the thief probably thought he had his hands on a leather wallet -- and how disappointed he must be when he realized that he got absolutely nuthin! And the cardkey would be of no value, as it has my picture on it. Everyone was teasing me that I was going to find a Catalonian teen-ager in my cabin. LOL!

Bottom line is, my system worked for me. I knew that a backpack is vulnerable, but I still wanted to carry one so I could keep my hands free. I'm not a bit surprised that someone managed to get into it, which is why I didn't put anything of value in there. I might rethink where I'll carry my cardkey in the future, though!

LeeAnne

When someone advises wearing no jewelry, do they mean absolutely no jewelry? Should I take off earrings, wedding rings, watches??

None of the jewelry I wear is very valuable.....my wedding ring diamond is very small (heh, we were 19 years old), my watch cost $100, and my earrings are just simple gold, no gems. Would this still be too much to have on while on tours?

Margie, don't worry about that kind of stuff, really. Some people in here make it sound like it's a horrifying jungle of magical muggers out there with powers to unclasp your earings undetected, and that's just not the case. When you are advised not to wear jewelry, it's more about not ostentatiously advertising yourself as a prosperous target. But no one is going to try to slip your wedding ring off your finger. And unless you plan on haunting dark back alleys at night in the bad sections of town, you don't have to worry about getting assaulted by mauranding bands of gypsies.

I really think the whole message is simply to not be foolish and make yourself an easy mark, either by displaying flamboyant wealth or by leaving your valuables exposed and easily lifted by light fingers.

LeeAnne

Some of the things said remind me of a cruise to Brazil. We were told not to carry any jewelry and not to dress expensively because it was supposed to be so dangerous. But you should have seen all the Brazilians on our cruise. They dressed nicely and wore beautiful jewelry when they went on shore. Maybe they even wanted to make a point that their country is not just full of robbers and thiefs.

Now, we here in Europe also think that our countries are quite civilzed. Thus, Desertbelle, your astonishment is absolutey right

When someone advises wearing no jewelry, do they mean absolutely no jewelry? Should I take off earrings, wedding rings, watches??

Obviously, if somebody is totally uncomfortable otherwise, it is best to leave all valuables locked away. But normally, no, you shouldn't take off everything. Just look around when you are in Rome or anywhere else, all the locals will wear watches, wedding rings and many ladies nice jewelry (of course different ones during day time and at night). And remember, Rome is one of the most important fashion capitals.

Thanks LeeAnne and Carl. I hadn't really given any thought to taking everything off, but after hearing it so often I was beginning to think I was being rather naive. I am glad to know that my first impression, which was to be careful but not obsessive, was the truth. :)

Archived