What the Real Truth About Rome Pickpockets?

Just a quick comment on passports....that may only apply to Princess Cruise Line passengers.

We didn't have to worry about this issue on our Rome to Venice Mediterranean cruise on the Star Princess last April. When we boarded the Star Princess in Venice they took our passport at the embarkation check-in. After that, for the next 12 days as we visited Dubovnik, Corfu, Ephesus, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini, Rhodes and Naples we just used our Cruise Card for identification. Our passports were then returned to us on the last day of the cruise. It really was nice to not have to keep up with passports on our shore excursions. We just carried our Cruise Card, one credit card apiece and a few dollars of cash when we left the ship. It was very convenient.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, as I have related question. We are taking several private tours during our upcoming Med cruise so we need not worry about trains or buses. While I intend to get us security wallets for credit cards, larger amounts of money, and other important documents, what do you suggest we do about carrying around our digital camera and video camera? Originally I thought to carry them in a backpack, but read stories about the bottoms being slit and the contents removed. I fully intend to tell my husband to leave his beloved 35mm SLR camera at home, but I don't want each of us to carry a camera on a strap around our necks the entire trip.

Is there a particular type of pack anyone recommends that is more difficult to cut through? What did you do with your cameras during those long days?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I take a small backpack to keep my cameras, maps, water, sunglasses, etc. in. When were just walking along I keep it on my back. Whenever we are in the metro or in a place packed with people I move the backpack to the front and carry it that way. I always keep my credit cards and money and passport safety tucked away.

Olliekl, part of the fun of the trip is taking your favorite digital camera - don't make your DH leave it at home! I am not going to Europe without mine!

For carrying around a digital camera and video camera, either a backpack or shoulder tote bag will work fine provided it meets a few criteria. It should be inconspicuous and non-discript - as in plain black. Gucci or Louis Vuitton should be left at home, because it's a target. Leather is durable, but looks expensive (again attracting a thief's attention), and may be slit with a very sharp knife. Certain nylons are much more difficult to cut, and they don't look expensive (even if they were!) Price is not an indicator of suitability. If you can find a bag made of Kevlar, or "ballistic" nylon, that material is not only very durable, it's very difficult to slit - it's the material used for bullet-proof vests in law enforcement.

I wish I could recommend a store - I have such a bag I bought several years ago, and am looking for another. If anyone knows a source - please post it! I will if I find a source!

Don't know of a Kelvar bag, but I bought an inconspicuous black microfiber recommended by Rick Steves as looking like a typical bookbag. It came today and I'm quite happy with it...front pocket - good for camera, inside big enough to put a sweater and a mesh side pocket for water bottle. Very light weight, easily rolls up to almost nothing when not in use. DH is wearing a lightweight money belt with two pockets than is not visible under pants. And so, we're ready to go. Best bet is to be alert and look people in the eye - much like I would do in a big city at home (I'm orginally from NYC). Good idea to be careful - no flashy jewelry or watches - and not let this get in the way of a trip of a life time. That's what I'm planning to do.

Sheila

You must not get carried away here and not be parranoid about security.

These places are just like any other big city wherever you live. They are just a lot more tourists.

You just need to keep your wits about you and keep to the popular areas.

When you are in a space with lots of people, be aware of others standing by you and if you feel uncomfortable with anyone, just move aside.

Take your cameras, we have ours in our hands most of the time, as will most of the others around you. Keep it an a bag when not in use but treat the bag as if it were your wallet, ie, always be aware of where it is.

So Be Aware and Enjoy.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Don't worry, Andym, I'm not being paranoid, simply cautious. I work in New York City and while there are thieves here, I don't think I've ever seen a band of gypsies moving through midtown in the middle of the day! I am cautious and aware every day, but I'm also not juggling cameras, backpacks, bottled water, guidebooks, and sunglasses while I tour around an unfamiliar place.

Several years ago, we purchased a pack that DH could wear around his waist or carry over one shoulder but I'm not certain of the material. It's survived several trips to Walt Disney World, the Caribbean, and Hawaii, so perhaps we'll use that. My only concern is the wide strap that goes around his waist -- one slice and it would drop right off him. Maybe we'll check out some more traditional backpacks before we leave.

GATKLT, I wouldn't mind if he was carrying a digital SLR. It's the bulky, old style SLR with the different lenses and the big carrying bag and the 42 rolls of film that make "traveling light" impossible! If he could find a digital SLR he likes before we leave, I'll be very pleased, but no luck so far. I guess you can tell who's from the old school and who has to restrain herself from buying new gadgets. :)

Karen

Karen,

Didn't aim the parranoid thing at anyone in particular, I just meant that if we get too hung up on this then the holiday enjoyment will tart to suffer.

I class myself as being very careful and keeping my eyes and ears open, but that didn't stop someone openning my bag and stealing a folder in Barcelona. The guy had a suit on but he gave back my stuff after I thumped him. Barcelona is a very nice place, but las ramblas on a night is full of people that you need to keep in sight. There are gangs of up to 10 people who are doing the 3 card trick (find the lady), the operator calls in a crowd, but they are all part of the gang, except the unfortunate tourist who is sucked in.

Andym, I agree. If we begin to concentrate only on the bad that could happen, we can miss the wonderful things that will happen. It's important to be aware of one's surroundings and other people, but not to the exclusion of taking in the beautiful sights and fantastic experience of traveling to a new city/country/continent.

Karen

If we begin to concentrate only on the bad that could happen, we can miss the wonderful things that will happen. It's important to be aware of one's surroundings and other people, but not to the exclusion of taking in the beautiful sights and fantastic experience of traveling to a new city/country/continent.

Very well said Karen. I have appreciated all the comments on this thread. We are so thankful to do a bit of traveling and see parts of the world we never dreamed we would see. We do all need to be informed and aware of what COULD happen, in order to at least make it less likely that we will be a target.

Julie

Olliekl... don't give your DH a hard time with his SLR! I rely on my SLR for the majority of my photos, although I do have a small digital camera. For the past year, I've looked at all the new digital SLR's but they still can't compare to the regular SLR's... the lenses don't have the range and the pesky delays when focusing on a moving subject are terribly frustrating. I will be taking my SLR on my June cruise, along with 25+ rolls of film.

I've been wondering why someone would want to steal an SLR camera that is bulky and uses expensive film, now that digital cameras seems to be the norm. Could it be that our SLR's might be less likely to be a target abroad?

Sandy

I don't think scanning and e-mailing things to yourself in order to access them in an emergency is necessarily a wise thing. E-mail is NOT secure - that's why we look for secure websites when we order merchandise, make payments etc. Why would you want to have all the information contained in a passport, including a photo, accessible to anyone who can get into your e-mail account? And please don't scan your credit cards in, or make a list of them and e-mail them to yourself! As far as going to Kinko's to have it done (I think this sugggestion is for people who don't have scanners), unless things have changed, I'm not sure copy places are allowed to scan or photocopy official documents like passports, driver's licenses etc. I think it's a better idea to leave copies or lists with an easily reached trusted family member or friend and call them if you get into trouble. If you are going to scan and e-mail or make a list and e-mail, at least do it with the full knowledge that you may be opening yourself up to theft of a different kind!

Sandy R, my DH would appreciate your standing up for him! You're absolutely correct about the ability to take so great shots using various lenses, but I must say that most of my digital photos were clearer, crisper and had truer color. Part of that may have been the processing, though, since I print my photos at home and he sends them out through ShopRite. I hope you don't mind that I wait to tell him about your supportive e-mail until after we get home. ;)

Karen

My opinion of digital camera vs regular SLR is

[1] having to take multiple rolls of films which could be bulky (if above 12 plus rolls),

[2] Regular films degrade when passing thru x-ray check point, and painful if you want it hand check thru airport security.

[3] some ditgital camera is the same as SLR, you can change the lens, Canon makes the Rebel Digital which can use most of the Canon lens out there. Some professional photographer (my son included) use digital camera becuase it is easy to handle (processing and refining).

[4] Two or three 1 GB cards will be all you need for a 12 day Med cruise. (That is what I intend to take for my Med cruise trip, my digital Rebel and one 18-55 mm EFS lens and four 1GB CF cards. I use to take my telephoto lens on long trips but I find I rarely use it).

• 3 weeks later...
:confused: Is Rome really a haven for pickpockets? Can I use a bag that goes over the shoulder and head and sits on the left front like over my ribcage? I could put my left arm over it. There's a zippered compartment that would be right next to my body where I could keep our passports and money. Please give me some realistic and honest advice. Thanks!

I have a few suggestions. NEVER, EVER carry your passport w/u. You should never need it. Always carry a copy. Carry ONE credit card, Leave back-up in hotel/ship. Also wife/husband should carry a different company/bank credit card.

I just came across some EXCELLENT articles by Rick Steves about the pickpocket situation in Europe, and how to protect yourself. His #1 recommendation is to wear a money belt (he sells a really nice silk one for only $9.99!). He has other great suggestions too, as well as some really good info on how theives operate and how to spot them. Check this out:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/theft.htm

This next article offers some cautionary tales from travelers who've been targets:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/caution.htm

LeeAnne

What about when the ship takes your passport upon embarkation and does not return it to you until the end of the cruise? I think this only applied to non U.S. Citizens.

As a Canadian, we are in this situation more often than not - I think only NCL did not take our passports ( and that was perhaps because we were only sailing between Canada and the US).

We are travelling RCCL in May, 2005 - do any Canadians or non U.S. citizens know if keeping passports is still the policy on cruises in Europe?

Hi there,

Sorry I have not had a chance to read all th eposts but look here.

http://www.romebuddy.com/givesadvice/crime.html

I was mugged by a woman and two very young girls last year. They got nothing beacsue I did not carry any valuables outside my clothing and my camera case was kept well in front of me.

Has anyone ever used the slacks or shorts you can buy from Travelsmith with the zippered security pockets? They sounded like a good idea. My husband was pickpocketed by a young woman in New Orleans. If he had had the zippered pocket she would not have been able to just slip her hand in & out so easily.

You have all got me a little nervous about our Med cruise later this year. Pickpockets are something I didn't really think about. That being said, I am quite careful in any foreign country, and we will certainly have some type of under-clothing belt bag in which to carry cash and credit cards.

My big worry will be my camera, which is certainly more valuable than anything I would be carrying with me (assuming my passport is taken by Celebrity - I have never been on a cruise where my passport was not retained by the purser's office). However, my camera is quite small and will be hanging from my neck right in front of me.

I just thought of one way to make the items you are carrying less appealing to thieves - how about going to a local grocery store, buying something like a baguette, and then putting your valuables into the grocery bag with the baguette hanging out. I assume most theives wouldn't be too interested in stealing someone's groceries. :-)

Brenda

Archived