Comparison of Solstice class vs. RCCL Voyager class?

Travelalot2

We are debating on which cruise to book for a 12 day med cruise. Being RCCL diamond members, we've sailed on all RCCL Voyager class ships, but never on the Celebrity Solstice class. We would be happy with either ship's itinerary, so it comes down to a AQ room on Silhouette or a JS on the Mariner (very similar pricing). It will just be my DH and I and it appears that the Silhouette may be a little more upscale for adults than the Mariner? We like to eat outside and it also appears the Silhouette may offer more opportunities for that?

Any insight into this is appreciated - especially if you've sailed on both a RCCL voyager class ship and a Celebrity solstice class ship.

We have sailed both classes of ships as you can see in my signature. We had a JS on both VOS cruises, and an AQ cabin on the Solstice. The cabin comparison is easy; the Junior Suite wins easily mainly because it is far larger with considerably more storage room. The AQ does win the bathroom contest though; great shower.

The VOS class ships are big, noticeably so vs. the Solstice Class. This difference really comes into play with the very nice open area in the middle of the ship where there are many activities nearly around the clock.

However, we really like the AQ class extras including being able to dine in Blu, which was a much better "fit" for us than the MDR in the VOS. We much prefer the more personal service of having a table for two, and not being seated with strangers. Not to mention that the meals in Blu where the best we have encountered; even when compared to Oceania.

Another AQ extra that we enjoyed was The Persian Gardens. We are not spa people by any stretch of the imagination, but we went there nearly every day and we were usually by ourselves.

Overall we prefer Celebrity, and especially the Solstice Class, but also enjoyed the VOS cruises. Therefore, if I was in your position, it would be tough call. But, since you are talking about a 12 day cruise, the JS would be very tempting since the pricing, as you report, are very close.

I think that I would lean towards RCCL on this one just because of the cabin size, but I may have to flip a coin several times before deciding.

We are debating on which cruise to book for a 12 day med cruise. Being RCCL diamond members, we've sailed on all RCCL Voyager class ships, but never on the Celebrity Solstice class. We would be happy with either ship's itinerary, so it comes down to a AQ room on Silhouette or a JS on the Mariner (very similar pricing). It will just be my DH and I and it appears that the Silhouette may be a little more upscale for adults than the Mariner? We like to eat outside and it also appears the Silhouette may offer more opportunities for that?

Any insight into this is appreciated - especially if you've sailed on both a RCCL voyager class ship and a Celebrity solstice class ship.

We've sailed on the Mariner, Voyager and Navigator and just got off the Eclipse on Saturday. IMO - the voyager class does not even compare to the Solstice class ships!!! Again, this is an opinion. But also as a Diamond member on RCI, I can say with 99% certainty, I will not sail RCI again! I also think the cabin decor/amenities/balcony furniture/bathrooms on X put RCI to shame. There are just too many reasons why Celebrity is superior and to name a few:

*a glass of champagne upon entering the ship

*robes in all staterooms

*free on demand movies (not that you go on a cruise for movies, but we were tired on night and enjoyed staying in!

*the hand-towels in the bathrooms are actually towels and not paper towels

*pool towels a-plenty - no need to sign them in or out

*limited announcements

*cold/iced hand towels by the pool

*daily newspapers

*lotion/shampoo/conditioner/soap/qtips/cotton balls in the bathrooms

*and the elite lounge! :)

*I even appreciate the "plastic" poolside barware better on X

These are just a few of the little "touches" that make a big difference for me. Cruising and your preferred line is all a matter of personal taste, however, I see no disputing the fact that X is a more refined "grown-up" product. RCI has gone waaaay too kid/family friendly with their marketing and that just does not appeal to us at all.

OH - and we, too love the option of dining outdoors - it's very nice on the S-class ships! OH... much better entertainment, too!

This is all very helpful. I think we're ready for a change, but, the JS being the same price as the AQ room made going with the Mariner very tempting. It seems that the Solstice class will be an upgrade from the Mariner so we"ll probably lean that way. We cruised on the Brilliance on the med a few years ago and loved all the glass and the outside eating area off the back of the ship. The cruise we are looking at will be on the Silhouette which will be brand new.

On a Med cruise you will be off the ship far more then a normal Caribbean cruise. And the Voyager/Freedom cabin design is not as attractive as the new S class cabins. And seems dated.

That being said, the S class balcony cabins play a lot smaller then their specs would indicate. They are rated at 194 sq. ft. but an RCI D1 at 188 seems much more open and spacious. We were on the Solstice in a balcony for 7 days and felt that the storage was limited, even with the overhead cabinets above the bed. And we had to leave the basket with the life jackets out on the balcony to get adequate storage in the closet. Also, the nice leather couch takes up a lot of room and partially blocks access to the closet.

My webshots area has pictures of this cruise and cabin.

I had read quite a few reviews regarding storage on the S-class ships prior to sailing the Eclipse and must say, I may be the exception in that I did not feel it was limited. We had three adults in a standard veranda and were able to easily put everything away. And mind you - we're talking about two women who had a different outfit for each night, plus a few backups/shoes/etc. Additionally, there is much more storage in the S-class bathrooms than on the Voyager class ships. However, if you are considering a Jr. Suite on the Mariner, you will definitely have more room. We sailed in a Jr. Suite on the Serenade and it was very spacious.

One more add... we did have a room with the bed near the bathroom and that may have made access to the closet seem easier and therefore less limited.

Archived