My New Year's Dream

tinaky1114

Let me start by saying I am very long-winded so this could take me awhile to finish. I had good intentions of doing my review while on the ship but was too tired in the evenings except the first night.

You will find the review pretty positive although not all was perfect. It had been 5 years since my last cruise which was also on Carnival. In five years, I did notice they had made cut backs. That being said, the negatives I experienced would not keep me from cruising Carnival or The Dream again.

FOOD

Dining Room (Scarlett) - quality of meats were lower than in the past. BBQ Ribs - fantastic.

Alternate Dining - Loved the Indian Tandoor and burrito bar. (did not east at the pasta bar, mongolian, or deli).

Staff - With only a couple exceptions, I found the staff to be the best of all 3 of my cruises. In fact, probably the best in all my travels and I travel often for work.

Entertainment - Could tell there were cut backs in this area with the exception of comedians. The band in Ocean Plaza (Blackjack Band) was great. I did not hear the latin band so I can't comment. The house band (Dream Show Band) was lacking. They play at the main shows, the Superstar Live, Captain's Party, Deck Party, Past Guest Party and Farewell Party. It was clear they were using musical tracks to back them, the singer was talented although she had to use a music stand and read the words even though they didn't perform many songs. They also had no charisma or interaction with the audience.

This gives a brief overview and I will begin the in-depth review in just a bit. Please feel free to ask questions as I go.

Tina

A little bit about myself: I am a 41 year-old single lady and this was my first time cruising as a solo. I travel quite a lot for work so I am used to entertaining myself. I had a few people ask if I was nervous about going on vacation by myself. My response was I was boarding the ship by myself but there were also 4000 friends I just hadn’t met. To me, only I can ruin my vacation.

I arrived in Orlando 2 days before the cruise and stayed at the Radisson at the Port. It is a perfect location to the port with a beautiful pool. I think it was an ok hotel especially if you are only looking for a place to sleep prior to the cruise and/or if you were driving and needed to park your car. Next time, I would probably stay in Cocoa Beach to be closer walking distance to more things to do. If you do stay at the Radisson, I highly recommend dinner at Zachary’s next door to the hotel. It is a mix of Greek and American food. I ate there one dinner and had some of the best Greek food I have ever had then the next morning had wonderful eggs benedict.

New Year’s Eve, I met up with two people from our Cruise Critic roll call (Hi Kari and Chris) and we had a fun evening a Fishlips. Once we welcomed in 2011, it was time to go get some sleep to be ready for “The Dream”.

I took a taxi to the port rather than wait on the shuttle. I arrived at the port at about 11am. It was a little congested with shuttles pulling in and we didn’t go anywhere too quickly. It seemed as if there were limited porters taking baggage. Maybe, they had a great NYE and were running late. Finally got let off, luggage loaded, and off to check in. It was a very quick and painless embarkation and I was on the lido deck having lunch before noon. You have to try the Indian Tandoor – delicious. The trays of free champagne were flowing – yes, you heard me right free champagne through sail away because it was New Year's Day. What a nice way to start a cruise.

After lunch, I went to the dining room to see about changing my seating. I had booked Your Time Dining; however, was waitlisted and assigned Late Seating which was the only thing I didn’t want. They took my request and said that they would try to do everything to change my assignment to either Anytime or Early seating. I would receive a confirmation the next day if they could change me. I tried to give a tip for their assistance and they would not take it.

Now it was time to go check out the spa. I booked the Dream due to the upgraded spa area. Did a walk through and purchased my $149 pass for the week. It is going to be well worth it.

Next, it was time to go see my room. This was the first time I had an inside cabin but felt it was the way to go this time with the solo supplement. I know there are many people that complain about having to pay the price for 2 people; however, when you consider other vacation options, it is very cost effective. It seems fine having an inside cabin but I am glad I am traveling as a solo. I have used all the closet space and drawers for stuff. My cabin was 10231 on the Lido deck forward and met my cabin steward, Bernie from the Philippines.

Now, off to explore some more. I went on a mini ship tour, which was just a little walk through deck five with social hostess, Lori Glory. Met a few nice people on the tour. So far, not feeling like I am alone. Even through I haven’t been on a cruise in 5 years, I felt as if I knew my way around because the floor plans are similar. I love the lower key décor of the Dream and that deck five has the Lanai area that extends the entire circle of deck 5 with hot tubs on either side.

Went to Deck 10 as it was time for our Cruise Critic meet and greet. I had a slice of pizza on the way – not as good as I remember the pizza in the past but not bad. We had great attendance. It was so nice meeting everyone and am hoping to see them throughout the cruise. Muster Drill – very painless and short. I popped on up and saw a little bit off sail away. Went to my room hoping luggage would be there. I was walking down the hall and saw a lot of bags but none at my door. Lo and behold, my luggage was waiting in my room thanks to Bernie. A little tip in the beginning goes a long way to extra good service throughout the cruise.

So, I thought this would be a good time to try out the spa that I paid a lot of money to use. The thalosotherapy pool was very nice and relaxing – warm not hot but good for aching muscles and I am here with a pinched sciatic nerve. Met a nice mom/daughter in the pool from Canada. We got out to use the steam room and got a surprise with a couple there who was completely naked. They covered up when we came in but we saw more than we needed to see. Very awkward. We mentioned it to the spa staff and I think there were going to mention that the spa was clothing mandatory.

Time to get ready for some entertainment. I started looking through the fun shops but know that you don’t buy on the first day. There seemed to be more variety on The Dream. Took a walk to mid-ship on deck five to Ocean Plaza and the Blackjacks were playing. They are good band playing a great mix of music. They had one lady that got up and started dancing and was a hoot. I met her and her group on the way to Karaoke. I could only stay a few minutes in karaoke and then off to Dinner in the Scarlett Dining Room. I had some nice tablemates and had a great meal. I certainly recommend the bbq ribs. The service was only so-so. Back up for more karaoke. The host is not the most personable – he tries but is sort of irritating repeating the same comments over again. After karaoke, I headed back to see the Blackjacks staying till the end.

With Nassau being a short port, I decided not to do an excursion. I just got off the ship and walked around downtown. You can see Atlantis in the distance from the dock and it looks amazing. I spent most of my time in the straw market and I really didn’t find any good deals. If you are looking for fake designer purses, watches, etc; they have tons. Be careful to look at quality. I find prices in NYC and San Francisco to be better for these type of items. I heard people enjoyed their excursions to Atlantis. And, there were many who had a good time in Senor Frogs – too early for me to drink like that.

I was back on the ship about 11:30am. That was the first day they had bbq lunch on the Lanai. I went and there was barely any line for hot dogs, sliders (not beef), quesadillas, and ribs. The ribs were great but the sliders were very dry. After lunch, it was time for the spa. Let me say I got my money’s worth for the week. It was a nice afternoon so I went to lay out by the pool and found a chair by my new Canadian friends. Let me add that all week, I did not find the chair hogging to be a problem. I usually could find a spot; however, I was alone. It may be tough if you are with a group of people. If the pool area is full, go to the lanai deck because there are always chairs plus it is a great view.

I found out after I got back to my room that they were able to change my dining request to early even though I had wanted to try anytime dining. So, time to get ready for dinner as it was elegant night. Boy, was I glad for the change in dining time because I ended up with a great group of people and a wonderful waiter, Pong. I was in the Scarlett Dining Room, table 405. I had the Flat Iron Steak and it was a little tough even though ordered med-rare but the warm chocolate melting cake made the meal worth it.

After dinner, I went to karaoke with host, Vitallii. Let me warm you ahead of time about Vitallii. He is a very nice guy from the Western Ukraine. He will ask you what part of Western Ukraine you are from and he likes to say “Vacation” even while you are singing and whoo hoo. At first, you get annoyed but then it grows on you. I finished karaoke and headed to Ocean Plaza for the Blackjack Band. They had a 50’s/60’s dance party with trivia, which I did very well. People were shocked that someone my age knew most of the oldies questions. Received a Carnival medal. I finished the night with the adult comedy show. I forget who the comedian was but he was ok. Let me say I am not a big fan of comedy shows although Punchliner always had a large crowd so it is popular. That was the finish of the evening except to get an ice cream cone on the way back to my room – this became a nightly ritual since I lived on the lido deck.

PICT0004.jpg.896905c9e78cc907f6ac0ae3c13957ea.jpg

PICT0011.jpg.154494d643d9204834bf0ae7c48a40b4.jpg

I was back on the ship about 11:30am. That was the first day they had bbq lunch on the Lanai. I went and there was barely any line for hot dogs, sliders (not beef), quesadillas, and ribs. The ribs were great but the sliders were very dry.

If the sliders weren't beef, what were they?

Thanks,

Maggie

Hi,

Enjoying your review. We were on this sailing with you, and think I remember you from the 50s / 60s trivia contest. Don't have time to write my own, so I'll add to yours if that's OK.

The ribs from the Lanai grills were OUTSTANDING. I don't even generally like ribs all that much, and we made sure that got them each time they had the barbecue grills on the Lanai. Many cruisers never realize the grills are there from roughly noon to 2:30 on sea days (weather permitting). The salad bar just inside where the Wasabi sushi bar is was a great compliment to the ribs, and open at the same time.

I agree that the sliders were not our favorites. Maybe they were beef...maybe not. Didn't care for the sliders at all. Frankly, they didn't slide. Dry and odd texture. Tried twice, but focused on the yummy ribs.

Thanks for the review. I will add that the pasta bar was my usual lunch, and service was very slow, despite having four or five line cooks involved with the preparation. Not sure why it took so long (average 20 to 25 minutes?) to get orders, but it was very good food. We thought that the way Celebrity does their pasta bars on ships are much more efficient and faster. They use two line cooks and use an omlet station type set up....much faster. I did like pasta bar, but the process of ordering seemed needlessly convoluted as well as slow. You have to get slip from "hostess"....and your little pencil stub. You then have to fill out order form, and there is no counter to use...and take it to serving counter to hand in and get your number on a little metal stand. I always felt I was in the way of the servers there. Bring a book ;-)

Deli sandwiches were excellent and rarely much of a line. Fast service.. Turkey was shaved breast (not processed type) on roll with tomato, onion and mayo & mustard was great, and my wife ate the grilled reuben almost every day at least once. Could use chips to go with the pickles :rolleyes: Contrary to some recent posts, the Deli counter was not open 24 hours. It closed in the evening.

Pizza was bland to me, but my daughter said the pies they made to order were better...I didn't try those. The burgers by the pool were great, and open until 1:00 a.m or 1:30 a.m...fast moving line. Great fries..which surprised me.

Regards,

Johncn

I

did like pasta bar, but the process of ordering seemed needlessly convoluted as well as slow. You have to get slip from "hostess"....and your little pencil stub. You then have to fill out order form, and there is no counter to use...and take it to serving counter to hand in and get your number on a little metal stand. I always felt I was in the way of the servers there. Bring a book ;-)

The hostess should have advised you to take a seat at the table you would be eating at, fill out your order and then pass it to either one of the wait staff or at the counter. Even if you were not staying up there to eat your pasta, you should have sat and waited for your order, not feel that you are in the way.

To the OP, thanks for the review. Looking forward to the rest. We have been on the Dream twice and love it!

Hi,

Enjoying your review. We were on this sailing with you, and think I remember you from the 50s / 60s trivia contest. Don't have time to write my own, so I'll add to yours if that's OK.

The ribs from the Lanai grills were OUTSTANDING. I don't even generally like ribs all that much, and we made sure that got them each time they had the barbecue grills on the Lanai. Many cruisers never realize the grills are there from roughly noon to 2:30 on sea days (weather permitting). The salad bar just inside where the Wasabi sushi bar is was a great compliment to the ribs, and open at the same time.

I agree that the sliders were not our favorites. Maybe they were beef...maybe not. Didn't care for the sliders at all. Frankly, they didn't slide. Dry and odd texture. Tried twice, but focused on the yummy ribs.

Thanks for the review. I will add that the pasta bar was my usual lunch, and service was very slow, despite having four or five line cooks involved with the preparation. Not sure why it took so long (average 20 to 25 minutes?) to get orders, but it was very good food. We thought that the way Celebrity does their pasta bars on ships are much more efficient and faster. They use two line cooks and use an omlet station type set up....much faster. I did like pasta bar, but the process of ordering seemed needlessly convoluted as well as slow. You have to get slip from "hostess"....and your little pencil stub. You then have to fill out order form, and there is no counter to use...and take it to serving counter to hand in and get your number on a little metal stand. I always felt I was in the way of the servers there. Bring a book ;-)

Deli sandwiches were excellent and rarely much of a line. Fast service.. Turkey was shaved breast (not processed type) on roll with tomato, onion and mayo & mustard was great, and my wife ate the grilled reuben almost every day at least once. Could use chips to go with the pickles :rolleyes: Contrary to some recent posts, the Deli counter was not open 24 hours. It closed in the evening.

Pizza was bland to me, but my daughter said the pies they made to order were better...I didn't try those. The burgers by the pool were great, and open until 1:00 a.m or 1:30 a.m...fast moving line. Great fries..which surprised me.

Regards,

Johncn

Hi Johncn, if you are thinking of the girl that was showing off at the oldies trivia with the Blackjacks, that was me. Having worked for one of the top oldies radio personality/historian was probably an unfair advantage.

You can certainly piggyback on my review. I am going to try to get more done tomorrow.

I missed the late night burgers. It was my evening ritual on my last cruise. Now, it just seems as if I got up there too late.

I didn't try the pasta bar. I had a reaction back in August and think it is to pasta. I was afraid to test it.

Hope you had a good trip.

Tina

After dinner, I went to karaoke with host, Vitallii. Let me warm you ahead of time about Vitallii. He is a very nice guy from the Western Ukraine. He will ask you what part of Western Ukraine you are from and he likes to say “Vacation” even while you are singing and whoo hoo. At first, you get annoyed but then it grows on you.

--------

We had Vitalli on our Liberty cruise last year. We still say "vay-cay-shunnnn" and laugh about him:D Thanks for putting up this review:)

After dinner, I went to karaoke with host, Vitallii. Let me warm you ahead of time about Vitallii. He is a very nice guy from the Western Ukraine. He will ask you what part of Western Ukraine you are from and he likes to say “Vacation” even while you are singing and whoo hoo. At first, you get annoyed but then it grows on you.

--------

We had Vitalli on our Liberty cruise last year. We still say "vay-cay-shunnnn" and laugh about him:D Thanks for putting up this review:)

Every time I got up to sing, he kept announcing me from a different state in Western Ukraine. It got to the point of me getting on the mic and saying what part of Western Ukraine am I from now? I am still vay-cay-shunnn, whoo hoo. Of course, no one gets it. He actually started his vacation the Thursday of my cruise so when I would see him in the hallway, I would yell "Vacation". He was telling me he has a website but it isn't working.

• 1 month later...

Archived