QM2 Pics in Port Everglades

eroller

Today was a picture perfect day in South Florida for a little ShipSpotting. I started in Miami and worked my way up to Ft Lauderdale. The highlight of course was QM2 as she is not a regular visitor. Looking regal as always, I enjoyed getting up close and personal with her. She is every bit an ocean liner. My only disappointment is her hull. It's quite faded and needs painting badly. I noticed this last April when I sailed on her, and it's only gotten worse. None the less she is still a sight to behold. She may no longer be the largest, but she is still the most impressive to look at IMO. My second favorite ship of the day was CELEBRITY ECLIPSE. I just really like the looks of the Solstice Class. My least favorite? The poor ugly duckling NORWEGIAN EPIC. You would think her appearance would grow on you, but each time I see her I think she looks even less attractive.

Attached are some preview pics and the full album can be found at the link below. Hope you enjoy.

Ernie

ShipSpotting Album

web.jpg?ver=12951284290001

web.jpg?ver=12951284590001

web.jpg?ver=12951284770001

web.jpg?ver=12951284100001

web.jpg?ver=12951284530001

Crikey, nice pics but just how many ships were in the port today??

Seven ships in Ft. Lauderdale and five in Miami. Pretty typical for a Winter weekend in South Florida.

Tomorrow QV and QE will be in. I'm not all that interested in seeing them, as there are Vista's in Port Everglades every week. The only major difference with the Cunard Vista's (on the exterior) is the funnel and no outside elevators. Not sure that is enough to peak my interest. QM2 on the other hand is truly a sight to behold. Just stunning even with the faded hull.

Ernie

Seven ships in Ft. Lauderdale and five in Miami. Pretty typical for a Winter weekend in South Florida.

Tomorrow QV and QE will be in. I'm not all that interested in seeing them, as there are Vista's in Port Everglades every week. The only major difference with the Cunard Vista's (on the exterior) is the funnel and no outside elevators. Not sure that is enough to peak my interest. QM2 on the other hand is truly a sight to behold. Just stunning even with the faded hull.

Ernie

Cool pix! Were these taken from the parking lots?

Great pictures Ernie! The QM2's lines look practically yacht-like compared to the other ships docked nearby. Quite a feat for a megaship! Whets the appetite for my next crossing. It's still almost a year off, but the countdown is on as far as I'm concerned. Hope that you're well.

Great pictures Ernie! The QM2's lines look practically yacht-like compared to the other ships docked nearby. Quite a feat for a megaship! Whets the appetite for my next crossing. It's still almost a year off, but the countdown is on as far as I'm concerned. Hope that you're well.

Glad you enjoyed the pics John. QM2 is such a special ship, I never get tired of looking at her. She is no box-boat, and even though she has a ton of balconies they are so nicely incorporated into her design. I love the fact she is one-of-a-kind.

Even though she is smaller than other ships these days, she has such a powerful presence that your eyes are immediately drawn to her. She just appears bigger than life!

I'm not sure when she will be back in Ft. Lauderdale, so I'm glad I had the opportunity to photograph her. QV and QE are in today, but there is no excitement in seeing them. They don't hold the same appeal that QM2 does.

Ernie

Queen Mary 2 was built at Chantiers de l'Atlantique in what were the last best days of the famous ship builder. She is a testimonial of the best ship builders.

QV and QE are Fincantieri. Chain Italian ship builders. Not the same breed. They certainly look much better than what we can see in Port Everglades and other harbours around the world but I agree, they are not special at least not looking at them from the outside at a distance.

They should never have sold the QE2. She could have been refitted and brought to SOLAS standard and sailed again under Cunard flagship. She could have done another 10 to 15 years of service if properly refitted.

Sad to see her idle in Port Rashid. Meaningless. :(

Nice viewings of the two Queens in the night and early morning at Port Everglades.

Queen Mary 2 was built at Chantiers de l'Atlantique in what were the last best days of the famous ship builder. She is a testimonial of the best ship builders.

QV and QE are Fincantieri. Chain Italian ship builders. Not the same breed. They certainly look much better than what we can see in Port Everglades and other harbours around the world but I agree, they are not special at least not looking at them from the outside at a distance.

They should never have sold the QE2. She could have been refitted and brought to SOLAS standard and sailed again under Cunard flagship. She could have done another 10 to 15 years of service if properly refitted.

Sad to see her idle in Port Rashid. Meaningless. :(

Nice viewings of the two Queens in the night and early morning at Port Everglades.

There wasn't a call for QV and QE to be built to the same design or even near design of the QM2 though. The twin sisters serve a different purpose than the QM2. As it is, there isn't enough business for another QM2 to do transatlantics as well which is why there is only one.

The QE2 had her day, in terms of number of passengers, cost to refurb, etc - it was never going to happen - you can't keep a cruise ship/ocean liner just because people love it - it's a business at the end of the day..

Chris

The QE2 had her day, in terms of number of passengers, cost to refurb, etc - it was never going to happen - you can't keep a cruise ship/ocean liner just because people love it - it's a business at the end of the day..

Chris

I am still keeping my hope that she will be sailed back to Southampton to be in the U.K. in 2012 for the Olympics and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Back to topic.

This is the link to the two Queens schedule in FLL for today. It shows both ships leaving at 5.00 PM.

https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx

Liz will be sailing to Curacao and Victoria to Bonaire. Some very pretty islands. Maybe they will have live webcams?

:)

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Isn't the QM2 magnificient?

The ship was last in drydock in October 2008 and two years of transatlantics have taken their toll on her exterior. I noticed in October how weather-beaten she was looking but she still looked darned good to me.

Archived