Oasis, The Chef's Table with a 3 and 6 year old.

DawnCt

We have no desire to dump our children on the Granparents for a week. We treasure each and every moment that we can spend with them. Life is precious and short, and we will not be deterred by negativity as you and others have shown on these boards towards the "little darlings".

Some people don't want to be with children 24/7. Get over it.

does anyone know how many courses are served? Also, is the wine pairing a standard glass (5-6 oz) for each course served? We love food, and these types of dining experiences, so just want to make sure that it is worth $75 pp.

Cheers!

It doesn't bother me. We're going on vacation no matter what. I just feel sad for those that hate the sight of an entire demographic, and lead themselves to believe that if that demographic were somewhere else, it would be better for them.

Love em but do not want to be with them 24/7,,,,,,Isn't that why grandparents say they spoil their grandchildren....they can enjoy them while they are there,,,,,,,,,,but enjoy the fact they are not there 24/7!

Edited by CruisesOnMyMind

It doesn't bother me. We're going on vacation no matter what. I just feel sad for those that hate the sight of an entire demographic, and lead themselves to believe that if that demographic were somewhere else, it would be better for them.

This is the problem: we're not talking about hating an entire demographic; we're talking about not allowing children at an adult dinner.

Let's not get off topic.

This is the problem: we're not talking about hating an entire demographic; we're talking about not allowing children at an adult dinner.

Let's not get off topic.

Marci,

My response was to the poster that stated:

"Originally Posted by cruisebunnies viewpost.gif

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does."

I disagree with this statement, and they do speak about an entire demographic. They were talking about an entire cruise, and not just the dinning situation.

Edited by Cruising Greek

Just to throw some doubt into the mix again, here's the reply I received when requesting the Chef's Table:

Good Day SkyGuy747,

We received your request for Chef’s Table. Guests must be 21 or older to

attend. If the guest are under 21 we have to request special access and we

would have to arrange this ahead of time. We do not have the age of guest_2 , they are listed as unknown. Please email me back with the age information so we can proceed with the reservation. Thank you.

Regards,

XX

Specialty Dining – Chef’s Table

Royal Caribbean International

800-398-9819 option #

It seems the TA didn't know the age of the other guest when the booking was made so left it blank (we're both over 12.) EDIT:: We're both over 21 as well, although you wouldn't say it if you saw us blowing bubbles at sail away :) ::

Discuss. :D

Edited by SkyGuy747
Transposed characters in age of participants causing threadmates to request refund.

Just to throw some doubt into the mix again, here's the reply I received when requesting the Chef's Table:

Good Day SkyGuy747,

would have to arrange this ahead of time. We do not have the age of guest_2 , they are listed as unknown. Please email me back with the age information so we can proceed with the reservation. Thank you.

Regards,

XX

800-398-9819 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************800-398-9819******end_of_the_skype_highlighting option #

It seems the TA didn't know the age of the other guest when the booking was made so left it blank (we're both over 12.)

Well, I hope that you are over 12, or your parents should be supervising what you do on your computer!

:p

Good Day SkyGuy747,

Regards,

XX

800-398-9819 option #

It seems the TA didn't know the age of the other guest when the booking was made so left it blank (we're both over 12.) EDIT:: We're both over 21 as well, although you wouldn't say it if you saw us blowing bubbles at sail away :) ::

Wow talk about exemptions. I guess rci's goal is to sell out the chef's table and they are going to do that any way that they can.

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does.

Gosh, my son is 5 and has been on 11 cruisers -- with Mommy, Daddy AND Grandma. I guarantee you he --and Grandma -- consider it a holiday. Would I take him to the Captains Table? No, I don't need to spend $75 for him to be bored silly. I noted on the Radiance that children are now welcomed in Portofino and Chops before 8:30 -- but I don't think we'll avail ourselves. The company might not be to our liking.

Kindly remember that children are full-fare passengers with the right to enjoy their time at sea. They don't smoke where it's not permited, get drunk and abusive and generally don't engage in pushy, rude behaviour with other passengers -- which I have seen from many adults.

I love children including my own three. However, if I booked the Chef's Table expecting an adult dinner, I would have been disappointed to find children at the table. As much as I enjoy children, the conversation is just not the same. I would not have objected at the time but I would have voiced my concerns privately after the fact.

To me, this has nothing to do with liking or disliking children. If the dinner is advertised as adult only, it is reasonable to expect that to be the case.

I just checked my confirmation from RCCL....the email they sent me to confirm my Chef's Table reservation on the Oasis. I didn't recall if it had an age restriction...but it sure does. I highlighted it in pink. Here is part of the email confirmation:

Reservations are for 7:30 PM and dinner is approximately 2 ½ hours long. Dress is smart casual except on formal nights where formal attire is also appropriate. Charges will be made to your Seapass Account once you are onboard. Cost is $75.00 per person and includes gratuities, guests must be 21, and penalty for cancellations within 24 hours is $25.00 per person.

An e-mail after the reservation has been made is too late. It is like a speed limit sign that says the speed for last mile prior to the sign is X. You've made the reservation and the reservation has been accepted. It is too late to now claim there is an age restriction. If there is an age restriction, it must be spelled out BEFORE you make the reservation - not after.

Edited by Cuizer2

Tamerella, the OP posted that 3 pages back. People like Cuizer2 just don't want to believe it. :rolleyes:

Maybe the second time's the charm. :p

Oh I believe it. It is just not enforceable. Once the reservation is made and the money paid, a contract exists. It is too late for the cruise line to now change the terms of the contract. As you will recall, the cruise lines tried to do this with the fuel supplement and the Florida AG said refund it or face criminal prosecution.

If the cruise line want to enforce an age restriction, it must be spelled out prior to the reservation and the exchange of money. After that point any material changes, such as an age restriction are unenforceable.

It is basic contract law. Perhaps you didn't read where a three and six year old were allowed at the Chef's table. Or perhaps you just don't believe that it happened.

Edited by Cuizer2

Oh I believe it. It is just not enforceable. Once the reservation is made and the money paid, a contract exists. It is too late for the cruise line to now change the terms of the contract. As you will recall, the cruise lines tried to do this with the fuel supplement and the Florida AG said refund it or face criminal prosecution.

If the cruise line want to enforce an age restriction, it must be spelled out prior to the reservation and the exchange of money. After that point any material changes, such as an age restriction are unenforceable.

It is basic contract law. Perhaps you didn't read where a three and six year old were allowed at the Chef's table. Or perhaps you just don't believe that it happened.

The reservation was made/must be made on the website.

The website will not accept the information for a guest who is not entered into the RC datebase as being 21 or older.

Clearly, they violated their own rules.

That doesn't mean that the rule isn't there.

That doesn't mean that anyone should flout the rule.

Oh yes it does. If Royal Caribbean will not enforce their own rule, then it is a non-existent rule.

Not true.

The rule exists. Unenforcement does not negate the existence of it.

We have plenty of laws on the books in this country that aren't enforced with any regularity. That doesn't negate the existence of the law. It merely demonstrates that there are plenty of idiots out there who ignore them.

First off, I agree that a dinner that is supposed to be an adult's only experience should not have children present. No argument there.

But those of you who think childen have no place on a cruise are completely confused. My daughter is 9 and will be going on her fifth cruise in June. My 4 year old son his second. Both look more forward to cruising than the two trips we've taken to Disneyworld. My daughter has been to more countries and experienced more culture than most adults in the US. I encourage her to learn about the history of the palces we visit. Next year we hope to expand that to a Mediterranean cruise.

I could also complain about old codgers with bad attitudes who shouldn't be in mixed public, but I won't. They have just as much right to cruise as my kids.

Cruisebunnies,

Really? In my experience, it is the perfect family vacation. Our daughter loves cruising. Our next cruise vacation will be her 4th, and she's only 5 years old. She loves eating in the main dining room as well as the specialty restaurants. She can't wait for the production shows as well as the ice shows.

Besides your opinion there are others on these boards that seem to loathe even seeing children onboard. I cannot fathom these attitudes. Were we not all children at one point in our lives? Did we not look forward to vacations and quality time spent with our parents and family?

I too have seen some fussy children on cruises, but did it really ruin our vacation? The state of the world these days puts a premium on time. It is the ability to take vacations such as cruising that makes all of our hard work seem worth it.

We have no desire to dump our children on the Granparents for a week. We treasure each and every moment that we can spend with them. Life is precious and short, and we will not be deterred by negativity as you and others have shown on these boards towards the "little darlings".

Perfectly stated. Thank you.

We cruised on Explorer in December and just got off the Adventure in January.

Could someone please tell me what "Chef's Table" is?

I've never heard of it until this thread.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

It needs a twist in direction...

This is from the Why Not? blog...

Chef’s table in the Concierge lounge (Oasis and Allure). The Chef’s table is in the upper level of the lounge, and the table is stunning. It features 14 seats, and at the head of the table is a presentation area where the chef can come out and explain how the courses are prepared, or demonstrate how to make something. Our Chef for the evening was our very own Keriann Von Raesfeld. from 150, so we were in for a real treat.

Before sitting down to dinner, the idea is for our guests to have a cocktail party where they can meet and mingle with the other guests at the table. The table also has a very cool chandelier concept that Kelly Gonzalez and I found while walking around downtown Turku one night.

The chef basically prepares the meal, and it is perfectly paired with a different wine for each course. The view of the boardwalk is amazing, and while we were having dinner, there was a demo of the fountain show at the Aquathreatre and the view was breathtaking.

The Chef’s table will be offered once each night of the cruise, and will cost $75.00 per person. The dinner will include a happy hour, the meal, wine pairings with each course, a signed cookbook, and a chef’s apron.

by Lisa Bauer - Senior VP, Hotel Operations

Edited by marci22

I've never been on an Oasis class ship yet.

Sounds like a very interesting concept and worth trying.

Silversea has a special wine-pairing menu in an intimate specialty restaurant. But dinner with the wine pairing costs $200 -- $75 sounds reasonable to me for such a nice, intimate experience.

Thanks for answering my question -- so the thread can go on ..........

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Oh yes it does. If Royal Caribbean will not enforce their own rule, then it is a non-existent rule.

Whether the rule actually "exists" or not isn't really the issue. The event is advertised as an adult only event. If not failing to enforce their own rules it certainly does constitute false advertising. Regardless, if someone is expecting adult only company and finds children at the table I think they have a valid complaint.

Not everyone will be disappointed if children are at the event but please understand that some (children loving) people sometimes want an adult only experience. It doesn't make us bad people :)

Cruisebunnies,

Really? In my experience, it is the perfect family vacation. Our daughter loves cruising. Our next cruise vacation will be her 4th, and she's only 5 years old. She loves eating in the main dining room as well as the specialty restaurants. She can't wait for the production shows as well as the ice shows.

Besides your opinion there are others on these boards that seem to loathe even seeing children onboard. I cannot fathom these attitudes. Were we not all children at one point in our lives? Did we not look forward to vacations and quality time spent with our parents and family?

I too have seen some fussy children on cruises, but did it really ruin our vacation? The state of the world these days puts a premium on time. It is the ability to take vacations such as cruising that makes all of our hard work seem worth it.

Dear cruising Greek,

Just to clarify ,I have no objection to family vacations ,my 4 children have been on many,but as I have said cruising is not for LITTLE kids.Would you take the kids to Las Vegas?

The reservation is made in advance and can be cancelled with at least 24 hours notice. There isn't a contract.....no money is paid until you are on the ship. The $75 fee is charged to your SeaPass card ON THE SHIP.