Directions and Distance in Athens

wannab4Ecruiser

Hi all. I'm wondering how far Plaka is from the destination of changing of the guards and/or Lykavittos Hill. Could I get from Plaka to the changing of the guards and to Lykavittos Hill and back to Plaka in 3 hours? Also, how far is the port from the pier? How easy and expensive is getting from Plaka or Constitution Square to the pier? Any information will be helpful.

Hi all. I'm wondering how far Plaka is from the destination of changing of the guards and/or Lykavittos Hill. Could I get from Plaka to the changing of the guards and to Lykavittos Hill and back to Plaka in 3 hours? ...

Plaka is very close to Sintagma Square (changing of the guards) - YES you can do it in 3 hours.

Also, how far is the port from the pier?
Piraeus center 2kms - Athens center 9kms - 20 minute walk from Terminal A' to metro station.

How easy and expensive is getting from Plaka or Constitution Square to the pier?
Very easy with the metro 1 Euro ticket plus the 20 minute walk to the pier. Or a taxi would be 10-12 Euros.

NOTE: Beware of pickpockets on the Piraeus - Athens metro line wear a body-belt or similar !

You'll really enjoy the Changing of the Guard! Well worth the walk. We had spent the afternoon at the Acropolis, got back to Monasteriki station at 4:30 and decided "what the heck; we'll never be back here again so let's see if we can find the palace in time for the 5pm ceremony." We got there in 15 minutes and thoroughly enjoyed it! That put us on the metro at rush hour but we managed to find seats. I had heard about the theft problem so I held my daypack close, but no problems. It was a long walk back to the pier after being on our feet all day. Took us almost 30 minutes for the return trip but you can't beat 1E.

There is a bus from the pier to the Metro station (your cue to get off is a pedestrian bridge over the street, right next to the Metro station) and vice versa. Problem is that you have to walk past the bus stop near the pier to a newsstand that sells transit tickets (good for an hour, work on bus and Metro), and then BACK to the bus stop. Simpler returning, just take the bridge across the road, turn left and you get the bus at the first or second stop along the sidewalk, using your Metro ticket.

Can't recall the bus route number, but perhaps someone else will post it.

Hi all. I'm wondering how far Plaka is from the destination of changing of the guards and/or Lykavittos Hill. Could I get from Plaka to the changing of the guards and to Lykavittos Hill and back to Plaka in 3 hours? Also, how far is the port from the pier? How easy and expensive is getting from Plaka or Constitution Square to the pier? Any information will be helpful.

As the others have noted, it is all possible, kind of. Much depends on your walking style and speed. Plus, there are the variables of traffic, weather, strikes, etc.

On the Plaka, I don't know your overall schedule and total plan. Tell us more. We might have added tips. I hope you have time to walk around in the Plaka, soak up its charm, see the shops, maybe have a beer or something to eat or drink there, etc. It's a fun and very interesting place. Below are a couple of Athens pictures to get you ready for the history there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,860 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athen’s historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

A lower-angle view of the Parthenon:

ParthLowAngle.jpg

From Acropolis Hill, a view towards the old Olympic Statium in Athens, other Roman ruins. This includes at the bottom, Hadrian's Arch, a monumental gateway resembling a Roman triumphal arch.:

AthOlymStadium.jpg

Plus, there are the variables of traffic, weather, strikes, etc.

On the Plaka, I don't know your overall schedule and total plan. Tell us more. We might have added tips. I hope you have time to walk around in the Plaka, soak up its charm, see the shops, maybe have a beer or something to eat or drink there, etc. It's a fun and very interesting place. Below are a couple of Athens pictures to get you ready for the history there.

Terry,

Thank you for your response. I know many people are pro on your own excursions (and I don't disagree but my fiance is unsure), but the plan right now is to take an excursion through the cruiseline. There are two options that we are considering. Both include the Acropolis, but one leaves us at Constitution Square and leaves us to find our own transportation back to the ship and the other leaves us at the pedestrian zone (I guess the bottom of the Acropolis) and gives us 3 hours free time before departing back to the ship. We are leaning towards the second because we've heard of the transportation strikes and don't want to be stuck, but we are open to advice from more experienced travelers. We would like to explore Placa (maybe grab a quick bite), see the changing of the guards and also Lykattivous Hill. Thank you. :)

Archived