Anchorage Hotel recommendation

SherBear

Any positive/negative comments on the following hotels:

SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown

Fairfield Inn & Suites Anchorage Midtown (New 2004)

Would prefer to stay at the Downtown Marriott but not willing to pay $229/night.

Thanks

Drove by both places last week look nice and not bad locations.

Personally, I have stayed at the Sheraton, the Westmark, The Capt Cook, The Voyager, and a coupl others DT. If I stay DT and have a choice, I prefer the Voyager. It's small only like 30 rooms, no real view but the rooms are huge and have a microwave, fridge and wetbar so you can feed yourself. Staff are really friendly.

Otherwise, I would probably say the Hampton is a good bet. There are 6 restaurants almost on the property. Applebees is in the parking lot, Sea Galley and a couple others right behind it and Stuart Andersons across the street. It's also centerally located between DT and the Airport.

Dave

Do you have any experience or opinion with the Ramada DT? Most of the hotels list an airport shuttle but Ramada was the only one listing a free train shuttle as well. We will be in Anchorage for an afternoon only then taking the 6:30 am train to Seward. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Do you have any experience or opinion with the Ramada DT? Most of the hotels list an airport shuttle but Ramada was the only one listing a free train shuttle as well. We will be in Anchorage for an afternoon only then taking the 6:30 am train to Seward. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

vhord,

I think the Residence Inn also has a free shuttle to the train depot.

Donnalaka--We stayed at the Millenium in Achorage in Aug. '03, one night post-cruise. It was a convenient location to the airport, and it is on a beautiful lake (Lake Hood I believe). The hotel is quite large, nice and spread out. Nice restaurant there. Rooms were nice; large and comfortable (2 adults, 2 teenagers). The drawback with the hotel I thought was that it wasn't near the downtown area, so it wouldn't be as convenient to tour downtown Anchorage. We had cruised with Holland, and when we arrived in Anchorage they watched our luggage (in a secure area in a downtown convention hall, I think) while we toured around. Keep in mind, though, that the hotel does offer free shuttle service to/from downtown Anchorage and to the airport. Enjoy!

we are booked at the carabou inn (I read about it in Frommer's) it is like a B & B. The rate is very reasonable compared to the chain hotels (peak rate is like $125 at night). They have a web site if u want to check it out. I have used Frommer's books for many vacations and have yet to be disappointed.

correction to my above post - the rate is $109 for a double room with private bath, plus a hot breakfast in AM; they also have courtesy van. Frommers describes the location as "on a corner in the very best part of downtown". It did state it had budget accommodations, but was very clean. Their web site is cariboubnb.com

Actually the Ramada Inn sits right on the hill above the train depot.

There is a Comfort Inn just down the street from the train depot and the Holiday Inn which is now a Howard Johnson's is right across the street from the Ramada and a Hilton right down the street so there wouldn't be a big cab bill if you have to grab a cab.

Do warn you though hotel rooms in this town in the summer go through the roof. Got to make up for those lean winter months.

Susan in Anchorage :)

correction to my above post - the rate is $109 for a double room with private bath, plus a hot breakfast in AM; they also have courtesy van. Frommers describes the location as "on a corner in the very best part of downtown". It did state it had budget accommodations, but was very clean. Their web site is cariboubnb.com

You will basically be at the very end of the downtown area. Though if you walk down the hill from the place you will have Elderberry park and can hook up to the Coastal trail. A very nice walk/bike trail that goes miles through Anchorage. Drive by the place all the time, but have never been in there and I would agree that it's title budget accomodations fit it right.

Across the street is a great but spendy restaurant called Simon & Seaforts. If you can't swing dinner prices, the hordvores and drinks aren't too bad in their bar. They have a great hot dungeness crab and artichoke dip that is just fantastic.

You're about 2 blocks from the Captain Cook but quite a few blocks from the other restaurants and stores in downtown though.

always looking for confirmation.................... heard many +/- on millenium hotel. anyone w/input ?????????????? thanks in advance !

Have never stayed at the hotel itself but have dined and partaken of beverages many times in their lounge and restaurant.

It's a fantastic location in the summer. They have this huge deck off their lounge that allows you watch the float planes take off and land at Lake Hood. The largest floatplane lake in the world.

Susan,

We have also booked the Catibou Inn in June. Can you give more detail. You sounded a little unsure of the place. Plan on doing the Alaskan Heritage Center, how far is it? And looking around downtown. Our your blocks normal size. Is the walking safe. A little walking would be fine after a long plane ride and before a long train ride the next morning.

How far would the Ulu Factory be?

Thanks

Susan,

We have also booked the Catibou Inn in June. Can you give more detail. You sounded a little unsure of the place. Plan on doing the Alaskan Heritage Center, how far is it? And looking around downtown. Our your blocks normal size. Is the walking safe. A little walking would be fine after a long plane ride and before a long train ride the next morning.

Thanks

Will you have a car??? The Native Heritage Museum is not downtown. Yep probably described as "regular" sized blocks. You are a walk from your downtown listings.

Both Ramada's are fine, as is the Days Inn. All have airport and depot shuttles.

Susan,

Thanks

Basically it's a two story blue house that sits on a corner where two main streets intersect. Behind you is a paid parking lot and then one corner is a huge multi story office building, other corner another B&B http://www.copperwhale.com/, and then the other corner is about a 3 story office building.

We do have average blocks and you'll be at 5th & L and the main gift/shopping area is in the 4th and 5th street between A & F. Our east/west roads are our numbers and the north/south are our letters. Walking is safe. Though you won't be walking to the Heritage Center. It's out a ways off of one of the highways. Though I do believe at they now have a store at the Ship Creek Center, on 4th between C & E, that you could possibly catch a bus, but not sure.

Again the Ulu Factory would be a good hike as it is down this big hill by the train station. You'd catch the stairs at about 2nd and E, coming back wouldn't be too fun. That again would be a cab ride.

Again I have no problem walking around downtown and I hope you enjoy your visit to our great city and state.

Hadn't planned on renting a car. The Inn offers free transportation from airport and to the train. So where would you visit walking from Caribou Inn and best place to eat, nice but not to pricey. We get in around 3:30. Do they demostrate the ulu knives any where? Are they cheaper at the factory?

Thanks.

You'll find ulus are over town in all the gift stores at different prices, even Walmart, but those aren't close to downtown. Not sure if they would be cheaper at the Factory or if they demonstrate - http://www.theulufactory.com/. Haven't been to their new shop. I've dealt with them as they made customized ones for me for a conference we held here.

Remember if you buy ulus they have to go into your checked bags for the airplane rides. If you put them in your carry one they will confiscate them.

Not sure where you live and what you consider pricey for dinner. If you want dinner a good place and probably about $20 and up is the Glacier Brewhouse http://www.glacierbrewhouse.com/. They have their own microbrews too. Place gets very busy though, so without reservations you may have to wait a while. It's on 5th between G & H, basically on the other side of the street from Caribou Inn and up 4 blocks up.

Not too much at your end you're staying besides Simon's which usually runs friends and I with drinks, appetizers, entrees, dessert and tip about $50 a person. http://www.r-u-i.com/sim/

Up in the Captain Cook which is about 2 1/2 blocks from you there is Fletchers. It's their bar/lounge and I've heard good things about their food just not sure about prices. http://www.captaincook.com/restaurants.php?PHPSESSID=9a324b0b8fdc57ed5d2780e58cc1ba2b

There is also the food court of the 5th Avenue Mall which is on the same street but between C & D. But mainly fast food there. http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=231

There is the Snowgoose http://www.snowgooserestaurant.com/ which is over two streets on 3rd. Just cross the street and stay on L and it will be a few blocks down on the left had side.

Think I covered a range of prices for you. Hope the links help.

Thanks Susan for all the good information. I'm starting to second guess myself on staying at the Caribou Inn. Will only be in hotel for a short time. Just need a clean room. Transferes a plus. Read the Ramada and Residence Inn have those. Would downtown be the best place? With only one evening what would you do? 4:00pm till bed time

Thanks Susan for all the good information. I'm starting to second guess myself on staying at the Caribou Inn. Will only be in hotel for a short time. Just need a clean room. Transferes a plus. Read the Ramada and Residence Inn have those. Would downtown be the best place? With only one evening what would you do? 4:00pm till bed time

I think you'll be happier downtown and for only one night you may be fine, just haven't known anyone to stay there, but then most my relatives when they come they are here at the house. The Residence Inn is out in Midtown and you really wouldn't be near anything there.

The other person mentioned the Voyager. It's basically a block and a half from where you are staying, so in the same vicinity but with only one night and the price difference, I'd probably wouldn't change.

Now the Ramada is a big motel, assuming we're talking about the one downtown because there is one out towards the Heritage Center which is no where near downtown. S

o you'd have more amenities than the B&B and assuming this is the one downtown this would put you on the exact opposite of town.

Not sure what day of the week you're coming in? If you get in at 4, on a Saturday or Sunday we have a great Downtown Market from 10 to 6 at 3rd and E.

Not sure when the Native Heritage center closes, so not sure if you could make it out there or not.

Basically with the time you're looking at you're probably looking at doing some walking around, shopping and then dinner.

One thing there is downtown is called the Alaska Experience theater http://www.alaskaexperiencetheatre.com/

or you could check out the Anchorage Visitors & Convention Bureau site for more ideas http://www.anchorage.net/

Hope this helps some!

Susan :)

Last summer, the Ulu Factory had a free sightseeing shuttle around Anchorage that leaves from their shop. We walked down to the factory but the driver/narrator dropped us off near our hotel (at one of the scheduled stops) so we didn't have to hike back uphill when we were all finished.

Archived