Cell phones to use in port in Europe

crenee44

We have a group of 10 and were wanting a way to keep in touch in port in case of emergency. We will be in Italy, Spain, France and (maybe) Tunisia. We don’t need a lot of time to chit chat or anything, but want to be able to let people know what is going on if we get separated. We aren’t too worried about using them on the ship either. Are there disposable prepaid cell phones that we could pick up which would work in all of the countries? Or would it be better to check with our regular cell carriers here in the US about international plans?

Thanks!

Try Brightroam. You can buy a simple phone for around $40 with a SIM card that lasts 90 days. The phone will have a UK number. I used this last August when we sailed the Baltics and it was great. I will be using it again for my May TA cruise.

It may be cheaper to purchase a SIM card and cheap phone while in Europe than to use your regular cell. I've been living abroad and purchased a pay-as-you-go SIM card and cell phone for 40 euro; the rates for texts and calls have been much more reasonable than using my Verizon blackberry and the phone has worked everywhere I've traveled in Europe without an issue. In my case, I purchased a Vodafone pay-as-you-go phone, but I'm sure there are plenty of other companies that provide similar services. (O2, Vodafone, 3, Orange, and Meteor are just some options that I've seen advertised in Ireland and I know that O2 and Vodafone definitely have stores in Italy, France, and Spain).

Enjoy your trip! :)

and remember US phones are CDMA and do not work with the European system unless they are dual phones and have a sim card or similar that allows such access. verizon will give you for 30 days for free a dual phone that will work on both and charge you international rates.....which if you use it only a few minutes....less than getting a local phone...

There is a company called Mobal Communications. They will rent you an international phone very reasonably. They will send you the phone all of the electrical adapters that you might need, etc. There are different plans to meet your needs -- some are fairly expensive per minute others are cheaper. This eliminates the need to get different SIM cards for each country. Bear in mind that it will be a lot more expensive than using your U.S. phone in the U.S.

There's a product called OneSimCard that offers pay-as-you-go cell phone service in Europe and around the world. http://www.onesimcard.com

You don't have to worry about expiration and the rates are very cheap in Europe, including for texts. You can also add a US or Toll Free phone number so it's easy for family to call you wherever you are. :cool:

There is a company called Mobal Communications. They will rent you an international phone very reasonably. They will send you the phone all of the electrical adapters that you might need, etc. There are different plans to meet your needs -- some are fairly expensive per minute others are cheaper. This eliminates the need to get different SIM cards for each country. Bear in mind that it will be a lot more expensive than using your U.S. phone in the U.S.

No need to rent an international cell. Mobal is SELLING phones for $29.00. The $29.00 phones DO NOT work in the USA for outbound calls but they work in 150+ countries. In Europe, about $1.50 per minute to the US and to other places in Europe. You are assigned a UK phone number. http://www.mobal.com/

There are cheaper options-buying a European phone in Europe and using various SIM cards is usually the cheapest. I have a stack of SIM cards and trying to keep track of which country, how many minutes are left and where I can reload them is a real PITA. PLUS you need an unlocked GSM phone. Readily available on Ebay but if you are not particularly "techy", can bring a lot of problems. I went through three Ebay purchased phones before I finally got one that would work with SIMS in South American AND parts of Asia.

The Mobal phone is really a keep it and forget it phone. I leave mine in the suitcase at the end of each trip. When I am ready to leave again, get out the phone, charge it up and I have a cell phone good most places in the world when I step off the plane. And the plug adapter set Mobal sends is one of the best I have used.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Mobal website yesterday and I agree with you. If you travel internationally at least once a year this phone company seems worthwhile. You can rent or purchase a phone from them for between $49 and $149 (depending on whether or not you want internet capability on that phone). The per minute rate may be slightly more expensive than other companies but the convenience of the phone working in almost 190 countries may outweigh that slightly increased cost. We are going on a river cruise in a few months and I'm debating whether or not to purchase the $49 version or the $99 version or even the $149 version. The river cruise offers free WiFi connectivity and that will allow us to have e-mail access with our IPad. Since we will be travelling to several different countries the Mobal phone seems like the right choice. Does anyone have experience with this company?

Archived