Maui - Time from debarkation to leaving with rental car

kcruisin15

What time will we be able to get off the POA when arriving in Maui and then how long does it take from there to drive off with our rental car? We have an excursion to snorkel at 9:45 a.m. - does that give us enough time? We have a car using Thrifty (BlueChip member) but still wonder if we are cutting it too close.

What time will we be able to get off the POA when arriving in Maui and then how long does it take from there to drive off with our rental car? We have an excursion to snorkel at 9:45 a.m. - does that give us enough time? We have a car using Thrifty (BlueChip member) but still wonder if we are cutting it too close.

You are scheduled to dock at 8:00 am. I just checked the timestamps on my pictures and we were docked around 7:30 am. I never timed how soon after physically docking they let people off but you should be able to make it (depending on where you are going snorkeling). The shuttle picks you up right outside the cruise terminal and the airport and Thrifty counter are a short drive away. Picking up as a Blue Chip member was always fast.

Depends on where you need to be for your excursion. If Ma'alaea (20 minutes or so straight across the island), you should be more than fine. If Lahaina/Ka'anapali or Wailea/Makena, iffier. If you are among the first off the ship, in the shuttle, in line at the rental location, and then on your way by 8:15 (8:30 at the latest), then probably fine. But traffic from Kahului to Lahaina or Wailea can be a buggah in the morning, so you need to figure more than 1 hour to get there. You also need to factor in time to park and get to the excursion embarkation spot. In Lahaina/Ka'anapali, parking is also a buggah and I suspect that Wailea/Makena is the same.

Where is your excursion and what time is check in?

beachchick

Our excursion is with Maui Dive Shop in Kihei. Our check in time is 9:30 at the dive shop and the excursion begins at 10:15. Thanks for your help.

It may be a bit tight. We had a scuba excursion with Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures also in Kihei and had to be there at 6:30 am; it took us about 30-35 minutes to drive there from the cruise terminal on a Monday morning and using GPS. ;)

That's going to be tight, but if you get off the ship right away, get in line for the shuttles, get your rental car without much of a wait, and have no delays it should be doable. Have exact directions to the MDS Kihei location because you must be at the store and checked in before the whole group drives down to the Kihei boat launch. They will not hold the excursion for you, so if you're running a few minutes late you'll want to call. You'll want to ask about their refund policy too. I don't mean to scare you; I just want you to be aware of the possibilities. Most of the time things are fine and chances are you'll have no problems.

As an aside, we use MDS for our snorkel excursions on Maui because they do not have the huge party boats. Plus, the 10:15 trip generally gets you to Molokini after the early morning boats have departed, but before the afternoon winds kick up and make conditions lousy.

Have a great time!

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...

You need to check with Thrifty and see what time thier shuttle starts pickups at the pier on Maui. When we took the POA the Thrifty shuttle didnt start till an hour after we got off the ship. Hertz made 15 shuttle pickups before Thrifty showed up the first time. Loved Thrifty on all the other islands, But would do Hertz on Maui if this is still their practice. I was first in line to get off the ship everyday and was wasting time standing at the dock waiting.

You need to check with Thrifty and see what time thier shuttle starts pickups at the pier on Maui. When we took the POA the Thrifty shuttle didnt start till an hour after we got off the ship. Hertz made 15 shuttle pickups before Thrifty showed up the first time. Loved Thrifty on all the other islands, But would do Hertz on Maui if this is still their practice. I was first in line to get off the ship everyday and was wasting time standing at the dock waiting.

Good to know! We do't have any excursions the morning of Day 1. We will just get our Thrifty car and start exploring at our leisure. I guess I won't hurry DH to hurry up to leave the ship, LOL!

I can help you with the timing since I took good notes when we went!

Off the ship: 8:45 am

Arrived at Thrifty office: 9 am

Driving off the lot: 9:23 am

You can obviously get off the ship as early as 8 am but that'll give you an idea of how long picking up the car takes. We were also Blue Chip members.

You said that you got off the ship at 8:45. What time did you dock and would you have been able to get off earlier?

I can help you with the timing since I took good notes when we went!

Off the ship: 8:45 am

Arrived at Thrifty office: 9 am

Driving off the lot: 9:23 am

You can obviously get off the ship as early as 8 am but that'll give you an idea of how long picking up the car takes. We were also Blue Chip members.

You said that you got off the ship at 8:45. What time did you dock and would you have been able to get off earlier?

Yes, for the most part, you can get off as early as 8 am at every port, unless there are unforeseen delays. When the ship is docked overnight, you can come and go as you please all night and the following day.

Archived