Guatemala port to Antiqua

Sid Baxter

We are planning to do your trip -- get from the port to Antigua. But since we won't go there until Sept. 27, 2012, I haven't done any recent research. I did so a couple of years ago and found plenty on the google and CC about making that trip. In summary: You surely can take a cab, or even a bus possibly, but there are also tour agencies that will transport you and guide you.

We will be on the Norwegian Jewel's trans-canal passage from San Diego to Miami. We are taking this cruise specifically to see Antigua and Cartagena. Also, by three month-long HAL cruises added to our roster, we'll need a change of pace and will go NCL.

FWIW, a friend of mine who spends quite a bit of time in Guatemala suggests that one should not take a random taxi but pre-arrange one. There has been an increasing incidence of "casual" kidnapping there. She is NOT someone who is overly cautious about such things. Note, though, that her view of the situation is from the northern rural areas not from the port ara.

That's very good advice. When I have been reading trip reports from El Quetzal, I get the impression that security is a constant concern. Tour operators want to err on the side of caution.

When we get closer to our trip, I'll contact local agencies and see what they can offer. Some cruise excursions may include just the bus trip from El Quetzal to Antigua and back as an option, without a requirement to buy a guided tour. Whether this makes much sense, I don't know. I don't use the cruise line tours -- they are just too expensive. Often CC members on a given sailing talk about tours on the roll call thread and an organizer or two emerge. They make the local arrangements. This has worked quite well the few times I have taken such tours.

We just got back from Guatemala on the Statendam. The ship had a tour called

"Antigua on your own" They provided transportation to Antigua and back for $98 for

two persons. It is a 90 minute trip each way from the port. These were air condidtioned

buses with a guide. It was a good deal. I do not take tours, but for 90 minutes I do

not want to ride in a taxi. Antigua was beautiful, but as usual with a cruise there was

not enough time.

Greg

Could someone make suggestions as to what to do when you get to Antigua on the HAL, Antigua on Your Own tour? What are the don't miss places and can you easily hire reputable guides there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Could someone make suggestions as to what to do when you get to Antigua on the HAL, Antigua on Your Own tour? What are the don't miss places and can you easily hire reputable guides there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Go to the Cathedral. Pay the admission (about US$1) and walk inside the courtyard. There will be tours of the ruins of the older church under the "new" building -- in English. Very interesting.

Archived