Cheapest way to go to Coral World

retirepopo

Does any one know how to catch the bus to Coral World from the port?

We are sailing with Celebrity, and I believe the ship dock at Havensight.( I hope that is right) I understand that after we get off the ship, we have to walk east and pass K-mart, the bus stop should be near by. I am a little confuses. Please help me. Thanks

Only my opinion, but I strongly suggest just catching the regular taxi. It's quite a walk to catch the safari and then a much longer walk to get to Coral World from the main road where it drops off. You're only saving $12 roundtrip per person and doing a whole lot of walking in an unfamiliar place.

Just catch one of the open air taxis going to Coki Beach with others from the ship. It's right there. I would never walk in deserted areas...too far and too creepy.

Thank Dirtynammers. Betsy's mom and Kendon suggestions. Is the open air taxis cheaper than the regular one? Any idea how much it cost?

Thanks again for the input.

If you should decide to try to take the cheap bus, check out my thread below, $2 Bus from Havensight. Even though I had read all the threads about the bus, it was still a little difficult to find where to catch one. If you are 2 adults who don't have a problem walking a little bit and are not in a huge hurry, it is a good option. I never felt unsafe walking to it or taking it.

If you should decide to try to take the cheap bus, check out my thread below, $2 Bus from Havensight. Even though I had read all the threads about the bus, it was still a little difficult to find where to catch one. If you are 2 adults who don't have a problem walking a little bit and are not in a huge hurry, it is a good option. I never felt unsafe walking to it or taking it.

We have 5 adults in the group and walking is not a problem for us. 5x20 =100 it is a lot of money, that is why we are thinking to take the bus. The issue we have are : is it safe, how to catch it.

mcmarya, I gather that there are no number or destination sign on the bus. Before we get on the bus, I will ask and make sure Coral World is one of the stop. Is Sapphire before Coki beach?

Thanks.

Coki is before Sapphire. These are not buses, they are pickup trucks with the open air backs fitted with row seating. There is no sign or specific destination indications on the vehicle. You tell the driver where you want to go-there is only one route it circles from town to country- and he will stop to let you off. You pay when you get off. Usually there is a buzzer to push, but sometimes not. Ask. You will be let off on the main road to walk to the beach. Just mind your ps and qs on the way to the beach. On the way back you stand on the other side of the road. Leave plenty of time to return to your ship as once school and jobs let out these vehicles fill fast. The bus/safari is safe,it is the area around between the main road and Coki that is the problem. The one good restaurant there has armed guards! Enjoy:)

B.

Coki is before Sapphire. These are not buses' date=' they are pickup trucks with the open air backs fitted with row seating. There is no sign or specific destination indications on the vehicle. You tell the driver where you want to go-there is only one route it circles from town to country- and he will stop to let you off. You pay when you get off. Usually there is a buzzer to push, but sometimes not. Ask. You will be let off on the main road to walk to the beach. Just mind your ps and qs on the way to the beach. On the way back you stand on the other side of the road. Leave plenty of time to return to your ship as once school and jobs let out these vehicles fill fast. The bus/safari is safe,it is the area around between the main road and Coki that is the problem. The one good restaurant there has armed guards! Enjoy:)

B.[/quote']

Thanks so much for the info. Yes, my friend said she remembered last year, a tourist was gun down at the beach. We are going to vote this weekend to decide either take the bus or the taxi.

Thanks again.

I have another post that gives more details, but Coki beach comes before Sapphire. You need to jump on the bus pretty fast to avoid holding up traffic, but I asked one of the locals on the bus where to get off and she alerted the driver. You can always ask the driver when someone gets off and is paying if no one on the bus can help you. Our driver was very helpful and let us know in advance when to get off.

We did not get off at Coki point so I have no personal knowledge of that walk, but, as always, be aware of your surroundings and at least look like you know where you are going. When it is time to go home, you will get back on the bus where you got off--same side of the road--since the bus will make a loop. If you are docked at Havensight, I think the closest place to get off on the return trip is directly across the street from the K-Mart.

Keep in mind you are only saving $14/per person, not $20. The safari will cost you at least $4/round trip as opposed to $18/round trip per person for a regular direct point to point taxi. Again, this taxi is mainly used and meant for locals to get to and from work, school, groceries, etc. Sometimes large groups of tourists (like your group of 5) using this as a mode of transportation is frowned upon. The Coki beach "stop" is far away from Coki as you have to walk down to the end of the peninsula from the main road. Road is steep at points and I've seen it flooded out in spots more than once.

Last time I'll give my opinion on this subject, just trying to help you enjoy your day, but spend the extra $14 per person, it'll be worth it.

Archived