Blast from the Past. I just came across vintage glasswear while sifting through stuff

fig414

4 different shaped real glass with just a Carnival logo on them. The blue half moon next to the red I don't know what geometrical shape it is. My parents turned us on to cruising CCL in 94 and going through their FLA condo, we found these:

1 - The drink of the day shaped glass. I think they are yellow now and of course plastic, as they should be. I can't imagine how much broken glass was up on the Lido Deck.

2 - A nice snifter.

3 - A rocks glass

4 - A jar shaped glass (I'm not sure what they are called) that I remember was my my old man's favorite.

He passed at age 60 right before our 2nd cruise in 96.

My mother passed on last year and my favorite Carnival line came from her. In 04, my wife and I booked on Princess and took her along. My mother says "Let's go on Carnival, Princess is old fogies". She was 74 and we laughed our asses off.

I kinda forgot that we had glass glasses on deck back then. Then again I could not believe that my parents and their friends and relatives actually filled one whole suitcase with just booze. It was mandatory that each couple had a cocktail party before dinner each night. They ordered room service munchies and mixers (probably was free back then) broke out the liquor and had a full fledged Irish happy hour.

Anyway, the glass got me reminiscing. No jeans back then and it was only 17 years ago. 40 years ago, we actually went on board as kids for a 3 hour party and then they kicked us off to a relative and they went cruising to Bermuda from NYC.

Long live Carnival.

Around Christmas at the salon where I get my nails done they were selling these little sleeves that you put on the base of stemware and, lo and behold, there on the display was a glass Carnival brandy snifter. Oh, how I wanted to buy that glass but the glass itself wasn't for sale... part of the manager's personal collection.

I have some heavy duty goblets from my grandparents sailing on the ms Europa sitting proudly in my breakfront.

Probably the only cruising connection memory to them of all those bon voyage parties of yore on all the great liners.

Had one last gleem of hope to set foot on the Norway, after being so impressed with her as the ss France, but that explosion put that one to rest.

Archived