Chef's Table Gratuity

John&John

We were told on the Miracle Jan. 6 cruise that the bartender that served the champange in the galley did not get any of the gratuity that we left. We reconized her as the atrium bartender so we left her a little extra there. Host Mach, do you know if this was correct information?

pat

Upon paying the $75/pp fee, is there a grautity line? Or since the MDR servers are involved, the normal tips already included ($10/pp/pday) we just figure its covered?

Yes, there is. The bill looks exactly like the one that you would be presented with at one of the steakhouses...

:)

We were told on the Miracle Jan. 6 cruise that the bartender that served the champange in the galley did not get any of the gratuity that we left. We reconized her as the atrium bartender so we left her a little extra there. Host Mach, do you know if this was correct information?

pat

I don't know what the breakdown is but I suspect what you were told is correct...

:)

OK, so can someone then explain this information taken DIRECTLY from the Carnival website:

Chef’s Table - $75 FEE (including wine and gratuity)

This unique culinary experience is now available for groups of 12 guests. It includes cocktails and hors d’ouevres as well as a personalized tour of the galley in operation, followed by a multi-course full-service dinner created by our master chefs – all hosted by the ship’s chef de cuisine. The dinner takes place in non-traditional dining venues – such as the galley, library and conference centre -- which will vary by ship. Reservations can be made onboard through the Guest Services desk and the fee is $75 per person (including wine and gratuity.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that clearly stay that the gratuity is INCLUDED?

KC

OK, so can someone then explain this information taken DIRECTLY from the Carnival website:

This unique culinary experience is now available for groups of 12 guests. It includes cocktails and hors d’ouevres as well as a personalized tour of the galley in operation, followed by a multi-course full-service dinner created by our master chefs – all hosted by the ship’s chef de cuisine. The dinner takes place in non-traditional dining venues – such as the galley, library and conference centre -- which will vary by ship. Reservations can be made onboard through the Guest Services desk and the fee is $75 per person (including wine and gratuity.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that clearly stay that the gratuity is INCLUDED?

KC

Yep

KC

It sure does. The info I found in a post (from a Carnival employee) was from August, 2010, as stated. The policy must have changed. Thanks for the update.

Tim

Wait, I thought that the $75 included the gratuity?

Me too.

KC

Yes it does. I did give 20% extra last Chefs table, next time I will not.

So- just to be sure I have it right- the gratuity is included in the $75- correct? Just as it is in the steak house? Which means that if you leave a bit more it is additional, not the entire tip?

Thats how it looks to me too.

I don't mind tipping at all, but I DO mind tipping on top of a tip of which I was not aware. And I do understand that the servers on board make the bulk of their salary from tips, and don't begrudge them a cent, but if they are already receiveing a percentage, then I believe that's fair. I overtip at times stateside, but servers in the USA are taxed on their tips - I don't believe the servers onboard are.

And the argument I hear at times, that you should tip on what you WOULD have tipped for a similar meal at a fine dining establishment back home, is a fallacious argument. If the gratuity is included, then the establishment has identified THAT amount as the correct gratuity for the meal being served. Anything above that would have to be for incredibly superior service. And would certainly not be an additional 20%!

Anyway, I try to always to be fair, and in return, I expect to be treated fairly, and not like a stupid human ATM. I encounter that at some ports, I don't want to see it on board.

KC

I don't mind tipping at all, but I DO mind tipping on top of a tip of which I was not aware. And I do understand that the servers on board make the bulk of their salary from tips, and don't begrudge them a cent, but if they are already receiveing a percentage, then I believe that's fair. I overtip at times stateside, but servers in the USA are taxed on their tips - I don't believe the servers onboard are.

And the argument I hear at times, that you should tip on what you WOULD have tipped for a similar meal at a fine dining establishment back home, is a fallacious argument. If the gratuity is included, then the establishment has identified THAT amount as the correct gratuity for the meal being served. Anything above that would have to be for incredibly superior service. And would certainly not be an additional 20%!

Anyway, I try to always to be fair, and in return, I expect to be treated fairly, and not like a stupid human ATM. I encounter that at some ports, I don't want to see it on board.

KC

I really agree- and also love your human ATM machine. We have done this meal on Princess and it was both wonderful food and the service really was exceptional so I will probably leave something extra but 30 or 40% is out of line, as far I can see.

This is from Onboard with Carnival dated May 2010 and appears to be a newsletter distributed to travel agents in the UK.

Just because it states that the gratuity is included doesn't necessarily mean it is correct. :eek: It also states cocktails are included and as far as I know only champagne and wine are included.:eek:

KC

This is from Onboard with Carnival dated May 2010 and appears to be a newsletter distributed to travel agents in the UK.

Just because it states that the gratuity is included doesn't necessarily mean it is correct. :eek: It also states cocktails are included and as far as I know only champagne and wine are included.:eek:

If it says gratuity is included on Carnival website then it is.......

Archived