Swan Hellenic Minerva/Discovery

Mel

Hi Tamara,

Yes we will be happy to pay you 25 euros each for the shuttle as lomg as the other three are going to be joining in.

Thank you for your work,

Jean

Jean,

I found out that the Hilton Hotel which is at the airport (joined by a moving walkway) does have day rates from 9 am to 6 pm. I don't know how much but you can email them at RM.RomeAirport@hilton.com. They have a pool, fitness center, etc.

Thanks, Tamara. I have thought about a hotel but at that stage in our trip home we should be at our perkiest. It is later that we will be zombies. I am not looking forward to it as it will be one of our worst long haul journeys and the best are bad enough! From Rome at 5-30 we fly to Munich. 2 1/2 hours later catch a flight to Singapore ( 12 hours 15). 5 hours in Singapore and then 9 hrs 40 flight to Auckland. 2 hours later flight to Nelson and then if we are fit enough to drive a two hour drive home! I have booked a hotel room in Singapore so we can at least have a shower and a lie down. NZ is a great country to live in but the long haul flying if you want to travel is a killer!

Jean

Thanks, Tamara. I have thought about a hotel but at that stage in our trip home we should be at our perkiest. It is later that we will be zombies. I am not looking forward to it as it will be one of our worst long haul journeys and the best are bad enough! From Rome at 5-30 we fly to Munich. 2 1/2 hours later catch a flight to Singapore ( 12 hours 15). 5 hours in Singapore and then 9 hrs 40 flight to Auckland. 2 hours later flight to Nelson and then if we are fit enough to drive a two hour drive home! I have booked a hotel room in Singapore so we can at least have a shower and a lie down. NZ is a great country to live in but the long haul flying if you want to travel is a killer!

Jean

Boy, I've had some long flights but your's sounds just awful. I think my worst was Cape Town to Seattle--3 flights plus layovers and a bus ride totally 38 hours. NZ was one of my favorite trips-simply beautiful.

I have not heard back from Mel on the shuttle yet. I could just reserve it for the three of us--it would be 105 euros or 35 each that way. I could then add Mel's party if they ever get back to me. Let me know.

Boy, I've had some long flights but your's sounds just awful. I think my worst was Cape Town to Seattle--3 flights plus layovers and a bus ride totally 38 hours. NZ was one of my favorite trips-simply beautiful...........

MV Discovery included and arranged our flights from Capetown to LAX with Emirates Air with a stopover in Dubai - the most fantastic flight I have ever been on. The Dubai-LAX was 16 hours non-stop on their long-haul plane which is I think one of the longest non-stop planes out there.

Our route went across Iran, Uzbekistan, Caspian Sea, Lake Aral, Siberia and directly over the North Pole all on a crystal clear day (until we met night time). Brilliant views from the plane and then from the under-belly TV cameras. Good food, reasonable seating and an A+ coach flight experience.

Plus MV Discovery got us to our departure port in Hong Kong non-stop from LAX via Cathay Pacific. Thank you MV Discovery!

Jean and Mel,

Let's move our discussion over to the normal section for booked passengers: Roll Call>All Other Cruise Lines>Swan Hellenic Minerva 27 April-25 May 2011.

And Mel I need to hear confirmation from you regarding shuttle at 9:30 am. Thanks.

We are travelling on the Minerva this May and would love information about the ship. We have been on the Discovery twice and loved it (the small number of passengers, service, itineraries, food all made it a very good experience for us) and wondered if the Minerva will be more or less like it. A couple of questions - I see that they have a launderette on board - do they have an iron and ironing board as well? Can you bring alcohol on board to drink in your cabin? Is it absolutely mandatory that men wear jackets and ties every evening in the dining room? Any and all information past travellers could give us would be greatly appreciated. Mel

I have cruise three times on Discovery and three on Minerva. I love Minerva! Tie etc necessary for dining room but not for buffet. Blazer or dark suit helps for formal night if you dont have DJ. Open dining is wonderful. Passenger are not stuffy - intelligent travellers but rather mature...level of lectures is of highest standard on any ship. Entertainment is highbrow - often young opera singers. Excursions are brilliantly organised. I really envy you!

Mave

I have cruise three times on Discovery and three on Minerva. I love Minerva! Tie etc necessary for dining room but not for buffet. Blazer or dark suit helps for formal night if you dont have DJ. Open dining is wonderful. Passenger are not stuffy - intelligent travellers but rather mature...level of lectures is of highest standard on any ship. Entertainment is highbrow - often young opera singers. Excursions are brilliantly organised. I really envy you!

Mave

PS

Laundry has iron,ironing board, and dryers.

Alcohol can be "smuggled" on board by the discreet

Hi Mave,

Lovely to hear from you and with such positive comments. Thanks for the information re the Laundry. Nice to have one we can use. We were on Discovery 18 months ago and no laundry facilities on her. Would you know what type of electrical plug adapter is needed? We have an American one and a British one but don't know which to bring with us.

Thanks,

Jean

Hi Mave,

Lovely to hear from you and with such positive comments. Thanks for the information re the Laundry. Nice to have one we can use. We were on Discovery 18 months ago and no laundry facilities on her. Would you know what type of electrical plug adapter is needed? We have an American one and a British one but don't know which to bring with us.

Thanks,

Jean

Hi Jean,

I called Swan about this myself and was told they use the British flat pin style.

Hi Tamara,

I'm so sorry for the delay in answering you - we were away for the month of February and I didn't get to check the website. The three of us definitely would like to be on the shuttle with you (I think you are arranging it for 9:30 - right?) and we will give you Euros for the cost when we meet you on board. We are booked in a 'guarantee' cabin, so don't know if we will know ahead of time what cabin # we will be in but will definitely let you know when we find out. Thanks for all your work on this. Mel

Hi Tamara,

I'm so sorry for the delay in answering you - we were away for the month of February and I didn't get to check the website. The three of us definitely would like to be on the shuttle with you (I think you are arranging it for 9:30 - right?) and we will give you Euros for the cost when we meet you on board. We are booked in a 'guarantee' cabin, so don't know if we will know ahead of time what cabin # we will be in but will definitely let you know when we find out. Thanks for all your work on this. Mel

I'll notify airport shuttle folks and get you added. Do you have an idea of how many suitcases you will have? That was a question they had on the booking form. They will meet us right in front of where we pick-up our luggage at the dock.

I'm also in a "guarantee" cabin and I don't know when they will let us know or if it will be a surprise at check-in. I'm flying in the day before to Venice and staying at the Hotel Arlecchino near the bus station. I called Swan to ask about embarkation time and was told not until 3 pm so I'm hoping the hotel can store my suitcase so I can go exploring before I head for the dock.

Thanks for info re plug, Tamara. We can't contact Swan Hellenic direct- have to go through T/A who contacts rep. and then back down the line so very slow!

Good to hear from you again, Mel.

Jean

Jean,

We have toll-free number to call U.S. office with questions so if there is anything else you need to know, let me know. Although I can't guarantee whoever answers the phone really does know whats what.

Hi Tamara,

At the very most we will have three large suitcases and three carry-ons total. That seems to be all that Lufthansa and Air Canada will allow on flights to Europe now - only one checked bag per person! Mel

Thanks very much for the offer Tamara. I have looked at our "British "plug and it says European so am not sure if it is the same thing. It has two round pins. I am sure we used it on the Discovery as a British plug.

As regards luggage we will have two suitcases and two cabin bags. We have never been able to have two suitcases each from NZ unless flying to or through the US although I think the weight has gone up a bit.

Jean

Thanks very much for the offer Tamara. I have looked at our "British "plug and it says European so am not sure if it is the same thing. It has two round pins. I am sure we used it on the Discovery as a British plug.

As regards luggage we will have two suitcases and two cabin bags. We have never been able to have two suitcases each from NZ unless flying to or through the US although I think the weight has gone up a bit.

Jean

The round pins are European; the British plug looks like: _ _ with a straight vertical bar below (tried to "draw" but it wouldn't preview right).

Or you can check websites like: http://www.adaptelec.com/travel-plug-adapters-c-1.html for photos.

Just back from a fantastic cruise on the Minerva. The organisation was superb especially getting on board, less than 5 minutes. A big plus was the absence of any ships photographer. On our 15 nighter we had two 'black tie' formal evenings although lounge suit was also acceptable. These coincided with the Captain's Welcome party and Gala night with champagne reception and free wine at dinner, a nice touch. Jacket and tie were required in the main dining room but not if eating in the buffet. The food was the same in both.

There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the cabins but room service is free.

Also in every cabin are towelling bathrobes and slippers. There are two washing machines and dryers with soaps provided. Only one iron and ironing board though.

Talks were of a very high standard and were related to the areas on the itinerary. We had a Canon as a guest speaker who also took Sunday service with Communion.

Excursions were very well organised and free bottled water provided. (we were in the far east and it was humid)

Would certainly recommend Swan Hellenic and Minerva.

Just back from a fantastic cruise on the Minerva. The organisation was superb especially getting on board, less than 5 minutes. A big plus was the absence of any ships photographer. On our 15 nighter we had two 'black tie' formal evenings although lounge suit was also acceptable. These coincided with the Captain's Welcome party and Gala night with champagne reception and free wine at dinner, a nice touch. Jacket and tie were required in the main dining room but not if eating in the buffet. The food was the same in both.

There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the cabins but room service is free.

Also in every cabin are towelling bathrobes and slippers. There are two washing machines and dryers with soaps provided. Only one iron and ironing board though.

Talks were of a very high standard and were related to the areas on the itinerary. We had a Canon as a guest speaker who also took Sunday service with Communion.

Excursions were very well organised and free bottled water provided. (we were in the far east and it was humid)

Would certainly recommend Swan Hellenic and Minerva.

Thanks for the information. I've never been on Swan so this was helpful.

Nice to know about the robes so I don't have to pack one.

On the two formal nights, was it still "informal" at the buffet? I'm so not into dressing up beyond a pair of nice slacks, blouse, and jacket.

Is bottled water provided just for excursions or in the cabins as well? How is the water from the tap in your cabin to drink?

How long before your cruise did you receive shore excursion information?

Thanks again.

Thanks, Tamara for the information about the plugs. Wouldn't it be nice if all the world had the same. I never knew there could be so many variations! Bu the way we have an American adaptor for NZ. It was left with us one time and is no use to us. if you are thinking of coming to NZ again would it be any use to you?

Lovely to get the information from you, Cruisecampo. We leave NZ in 7 weeks so getting nearer very fast. We have been told we should be getting the shore excursion brochure very soon and I understand you are supposed to book your choice before departure. Did you do this or did you find you could book once on board or change your choice once on board?

Jean

Mel,

Just paid balance and received notice from Airport Shuttle all six of us are paid for and reservation confirmed. If you send me your email address to my Cruise Critic ID name at yahoo (just put "Tamara" in subject line), I'll forward you a copy of the reservation (I did this for Jean) so you'll have it in hand for your trip.

Thanks, Tamara. I have sent off an e-mail to you, hopefully I got it correct!

Looking forward to meeting you and Jean when we get onboard. Merilyn (Mel)

Tamara

A free litre bottle of water will be in your cabin on arrival but others you have to pay for. We found that on excursions they didn't mind if you helped yourself to more than one bottle so we never had to pay.

I wouldn't drink the water from the tap in the cabin.

Dress for the Buffet on all evenings is smart casual so no need for jackets and ties.

The list of excursions is first posted on SH website as an ebook. You then get a hard copy through the post about 6 weeks before the cruise. With it is a form to complete indicating your choice for each location. This is then sent back by post but we also faxed it as it said it was on a first come first served. In reality people were still able to book or change excursions whilst on board. On arrival in your cabin you will find an envelope containing all the tickets for your excursions. On the more popular excursions disembarkation is done by decks to avoid a mad rush. I have to say it was all very well organised.

One of the highlights for me was the opportunity to visit the Bridge where the Captain was there to answer questions.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask and I will help if I can.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Can you tell me how you find the e-book on the SH website please? I have had a look but cannot find a link. Having dial up only it becomes a painful exercise looking for things ( and viewing too in lots of cases).

Thanks,

Jean

Hi Trevor,

Can you tell me how you find the e-book on the SH website please? I have had a look but cannot find a link. Having dial up only it becomes a painful exercise looking for things ( and viewing too in lots of cases).

Thanks,

Jean

Hi Jean,

This one I figured out but ours is not "up" yet.

Go to www.swanhellenic.com home page. There's a blue strip mid page; click on Brochures. That will take you to another page and in the upper right corner click on "View Cruise E-books." You will now get a list of cruises (right now there are 3). Click on the title of the cruise (not on View Details) and this will bring up the e-book.

U.S. office told me our cruise book would be mailed mid-March so I'm hoping our e-book is listed by then.

Archived