Your own wine in public areas?

lindylee0803

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Just us.........[/B]

[B]We would not bring wine from our cabin out and about around the ship. If we want a glaas or wine when in a lounge or the dining room, we take out our card and purchase what we want.[/B]

[B]Just us.......... [/B][/quote]

We'd take a glass of wine from our cabin to a public area, such as the promenade deck railing, but wouldn't take it to a bar whose purpose is to sell liquor. Nor would we take it to the dining room.
I've sometimes taken one to the library.

[quote name='Boytjie']I have never had the urge to walk around the Promenade Deck drinking wine. Walking and drinking can be messy. :)[/quote]

When we take our glass of wine to the promenade deck, we're usually not walking but standing at the rail enjoying the sunset or some other view.

[quote name='Pettifogger']Peter(Boytjie):

I'm sorry, but I don't see that the old wine cards and the new beverage cards are "similar."

If I understand them correctly:
the old wine cards were an advance commitment to the sale and purchase of specified products at agreed prices.
the new beverage cards are an offer of a specified discount on unspecified products at unspecified prices, if minimum quantities are purchased.

They are two entirely different propositions.

I'd expect that different passengers would prefer different ones of the two cards if they were offered simultaneously. HAL has access to vast quantities of customer preference data and I do not, so, for all I know, the majority of passengers prefer the versatility of new beverage card. I happen to prefer the certainty of the old wine card.

In my lifetime, I have fallen in love at first sight a number of times; with my wife, with cafe au lait (which I make every morning), with my Border Collie, with HAL, and with my wine cards. I still carry the memory of the wine cards in my heart.[/quote]

I accept your emotional attachment to the wine cards, even if I don't understand it. But that's OK. :D

What John says re. it being less of a discount makes sense to me; it being versatile being an issue I don't get. You can still get your house wine by the glass with the new card and even something else should the mood strike you. :)

My parents brought a bottle of wine to the Explorations Cafe/Library and we all drank some wine before dinner. No one minded, though we brought our own glasses from the cabin versus drinking out of proper wine glasses (obviously they didn't have wine glasses at the cafe). It was nice and we were all able to sit comfortably while enjoying the wine, rather than being crammed into one cabin.

Peter(Boytjie)

My reservations with respect to the new beverage card are not with respect to the reduced discount.

Even though I tend to be a value-concious passenger, in view of the low prices of both cabins and wine cards, an increase of about 25% in the cost of the wine card would have been fine with me.

The appeal of the wine card was not so much economy as the convenience (don't have to match purchases made with the eventual bill and have a continuous measure of expenditures) and, more important, the certainty that over the course of a long cruise my wine expense would not far exceed what I had anticipated.

[quote name='Pettifogger']The appeal of the wine card was not so much economy as the convenience (don't have to match purchases made with the eventual bill and have a continuous measure of expenditures) and, more important, the certainty that over the course of a long cruise my wine expense would not far exceed what I had anticipated.[/quote][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Then you should be happy with the new beverage card. Nothing appears on your final bill except the original purchase price and there is no need to save any slips except possibly the last one that shows the remaining balance. All you have to remember over a long cruise is how many cards you've purchased in order to not far exceed what you had anticipated ... just as you did with the punch card.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I tried to carry a glass of vino from my cabin to the MDR. Waiting for the elevator I drank the whole glass. Grabbed a quick refill and tried again. Dam HAL elevators are slow so I killed that glass. Gave up my master plan and ordered room service.

[quote name='mudscraper']I tried to carry a glass of vino from my cabin to the MDR. Waiting for the elevator I drank the whole glass. Grabbed a quick refill and tried again. Dam HAL elevators are slow so I killed that glass. Gave up my master plan and ordered room service.[/QUOTE]

Now that's funny! :D:D

Archived