Coverage for Missed Return Flight if Ship Docks Late

DontTreadOnMe

My biggest concern is that, for some reason, the ship is late in reaching the dock for final disembarkation and I miss my flight. I was looking at the SquareTrade site and called TravelSafe to ask them about this specific event. TravelSafe told me that they do not offer any coverage for this.

Does any provider cover me for getting me home (airfare, etc) in this scenario?

Thanks.

We were late getting back to Los Angeles because a passenger decided to jump off as we departed Cabos San Lucas. We had to turn around and join the Mexican coast guard in the hunt to no avail.

We got back at 1pm only to be greeted by the FBI, another delay. Finally we were allowed to depart. We along with others did not make our flights and we were charged for it. In checking with other passengers later on the roll call, the only airline that did not charge was Southwest.

It is unlikely you will be late, however, so relax. Even big storms haven't delayed us in the past.

It depends on the reason for the delay. If you are delayed due to weather or a mechanical problem, you would be covered if you would have coverage for this if an airline had done the same thing.

Delays in customs clearance, traffic on the way to the airport, departure lounge congestion, etc.? Not covered.

Moral of the Story? Try to book an afternoon flight.

Find a plan with a good travek delay benefit. This is from a Travelex plan:

"TRIP DELAY

The Company will reimburse You for Covered Expenses on a one-time basis, up to the maximum shown in the Confirmation of Coverage, if You are delayed en route to or from the Covered Trip for five (5) or more hours due to a defined Hazard.

Covered Expenses include:

(a) any prepaid, unused, non-refundable land and water accommodations;

(b) any reasonable Additional Expenses incurred;

© an Economy Fare from the point where You ended Your Covered Trip to a destination where You can catch up to the Covered Trip;

(d) a one-way Economy Fare to return You to Your originally scheduled return destination.

Hazard means:

(a) any delay of a Common Carrier (including Inclement Weather);"

The "any delay" is very important. You don't want to worry about if the reason for the delay is covered or not. And you want the delay time to be as small as possible. The above coverage would do you no good if your flight was scheduled to depart only four hours after docking.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We had this happen to us last month. The ship arrived late because it had to turn around for a medical emergency. We arrived in port 2 1/2 hours late and we missed our flight. We had to book new flights and paid over $800 for 2 one way tickets home. We put the tickets on our credit card and were reimbursed for the price of the replacement tickets. The delay was caused by the cruise line so it was covered. If you just miss your flights it probably isn't covered.

It took about 30 days and we had to provide all kinds of documentation, but they sent us a check for the entire cost of the new tickets. They would have also paid for expenses if we were unable to make it home that day. We buy insurance from our TA not the cruise line. I am glad we had insurance otherwise we would have been out of luck. It was Travel Guard.

Yes, many insurance companies cover this. Just look at the details of the coverage to read through what it covers and what it doesn't. Call the insurance company with questions and whatever they tell you ask them to show you where it says it on the policy.

Also, book a later flight. Often people book flights too close to disembarkation where a delay of one or two hours is a big deal for them.

Keith

• 1 month later...

I was told by carnival that their insurance covers all travel to port and from port. and have read that if you book your flight through them that if you miss the boat or your airflight that they will rebook asap to get you either to the ship or home and they will pay for any hotel or difference in airfare (so no out of pocket expense to be filed)

Archived