A Carnival cruiser's review of NCL

ShedQueen77

I know the Carnival vs. NCL question gets asked a lot on both boards, so I thought I'd post the link to my recent NCL Dawn cruise review in case it was helpful to anyone with that age old question. It's long, but separated into sections so you can pick and choose what you want to read.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1348360

Thanks for sharing your review with us. I found it interesting. I've never been on NCL, but my parents have. I noticed you and them both said the same things about the bed, that's why they have warned me not to go on NCL. I have 3 ruptured disks and they said their beds would kill my back.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!

Thank you for the comparison of NCL to Carnival. Friends we just cruised with were on NCL once for the itinerary (Southern Caribbean), but were not too impressed with the line. Felt the other guests were a bit older and kind of dull (we are late thirties). They didn't go into a lot of detail, but also were not huge fans of the freestyle cruising either. Before I cruised and experienced the regular dining service I would have been intrigued with freestyle, but I am now a huge fan of regular dining at the same time with the same wait staff in a nice, slightly more upscale environment than the buffet or casual dining.

I am especially grateful for the detailed experience with your attempt to see the Baths. Haven't done any research, but already figured out that is the thing to do in Tortola (and would like to do a Southern or Eastern Caribbean cruise someday so hopefully will get there eventually). Glad you did get your money back in the end, but what a sad fact about the guide and having to go through that in a foreign country.

we are considering trying NCL for the 1st time in Nov. I will have a look at your perspective as I always enjoy seeing different people's opinions on these things. Of course just by saying I am considering another cruise line on this Board opens me up for a good flaming....oh well if the price and itenary are right then it may be worth a good consideration!!!

i am a loyal carnival customer but i truly enjoyed my cruise too alaska on the ncl pearl. i loved the ship and the itinerary was great with the glacier bay day and leaving from seattle. the food was not near as good as carnival ( beleive me i didnt go hungry but carnival food is better ). everything about the cruise was great. dont be afraid too sail on ncl to alaska.

Baths is probably easier to do on your own than with a cruise line. Simply walk off the dock and take a left. Walk seven minutes to the ferry docks. Approach Speedy's counter and purchase round trip to Virgin Gorda with transfers to and from Baths and get on the ferry. The rest is easy and it is much cheaper than what the cruise lines charge. We did this with our kids when they were 10 and 8.

I guess if I wanted more restaurants, I'd take the leap and go on Celebrity. Right now, the rotation is Carnival (with family), RCI (with family), and Princess (just parents). Maybe NCL gets a bad rap. I guess there is just nothing drawing me to that line.

NCL is one of our favorite lines so I am glad to see that you gave a fair comparison from your perspective. The funny thing is we are all different in our likes and dislikes so it helps to see other's perspective. We do not commit to any line as we go by ports but for each of the lines we have been on we enjoy it.

Though this is the wrong board to say it on, I do like NCL's food, decor, and entertainment better but Carnival has its own charm and food highlights so there is no hesitation for me to cruise on either line. I think what I order and like imprints the food experience more than anything so I hesitate to say one is actually better than another, only that for me one is better.

As far as demographics go I think NCL is young compared to other lines and Carnival is younger still. I love them all. Enjoyed reading your review.

My bride and I enjoyed our Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Sun, but she wanted to run back to CCL.

The specialty restaurants were excellent, but the MDR and room service food was, in a word, uninspired. And tasteless.

The taste, presentation and quality of food is important to her. And the MDR and room service was just totally blah.

And the buffet was no better. And no pizzeria with goat cheese pizza.

My bride and I enjoyed our Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Sun, but she wanted to run back to CCL.

The specialty restaurants were excellent, but the MDR and room service food was, in a word, uninspired. And tasteless.

The taste, presentation and quality of food is important to her. And the MDR and room service was just totally blah.

And the buffet was no better. And no pizzeria with goat cheese pizza.

I was on the Sun. Did you find the hidden secret Tapas Bar near the Lido? We stopped there late at night and early evenings for horderves. Loved it and it is one of the free areas. I am a foodie too and tend to prefer smaller servings, more taste with huge emphasis on presentation. Maybe it is what I ordered but I loved the Sun's food. We asked for the amazing creme brulee to be brought to our cabin on a few evenings and they did it.

we are considering trying NCL for the 1st time in Nov. I will have a look at your perspective as I always enjoy seeing different people's opinions on these things. Of course just by saying I am considering another cruise line on this Board opens me up for a good flaming....oh well if the price and itenary are right then it may be worth a good consideration!!!

This is us! :) Unless I have a disastrous experience, I will never write off any cruise line...well, except Celebrity who lost running on my list due to their restrictive smoking policies. Now THERE'S a flameworthy statement right there! LOL

Archived