1st cruise, T/A Azura oct 11 , what tours are best ?

lk&spw

Hi , (1st post , please be gentle with us :rolleyes: ),we have booked to go on Azura T/A in oct 11 for our 1st cruise :eek:, could someone give us an idea of which tours are best , and wether we should (or should not) book trips through p&o , we enjoy all sorts of different things i.e. snorkeling , rain forest , museums etc etc , any info at all would be grateful

thanks

leighton & sara

Why don't you try looking at ports on this website. Just click on Ports at the top. We always try to do our own thing wherever we go, as I can't abide being on a coach with 50 others, but sometimes it's better to. Which ports are yougoing to?

Hi , (1st post , please be gentle with us :rolleyes: ),we have booked to go on Azura T/A in oct 11 for our 1st cruise :eek:, could someone give us an idea of which tours are best , and wether we should (or should not) book trips through p&o , we enjoy all sorts of different things i.e. snorkeling , rain forest , museums etc etc , any info at all would be grateful

thanks

leighton & sara

Hi and a warm welcome to cruise critic. :) Are you on the 14 or 15 night cruise? (Same cruise, different cruise number)

There is a roll call for this cruise here if you would like to join in. It's not got going yet, but will get more active as the cruise gets closer.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1300251

We did our first Transatlantic on Ventura last year and enjoyed it so much we booked Azura for this year.

We always do our own tours as you can pick up a taxi or tour at each port for a lot less than P&O prices. Lots of people do book the official tours though.

There is a seach tool on the top tool bar which is excellent for bringing up threads with discussions about things you may have questions about. Just choose 'advanced search' then put your cruiseline and ship name in. :)

The advantages of doing a P&O excursion is that 'should' there be a delay, the ship will wait for you

They also know where to take you for the best vantage point etc. and can get you 'into' somewhere past all those on DIY trips.

We had a tree fall across our road once. As we were a convoy of excursion buses, no problem

When we went to see the divers at Acupulco, we were taken to a spot where we could almost touch them.

we were on a guided Tour somewhere in Thailand and saw some of our people on a street corner, map in hand trying to sort out where they were.

May cost you, but I feel organised tours are better than DIY.

You're only there for a short time and it 'might' be your only time. You want to make the most of it.

My view. Not shared by others!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replys ,

we are going to ,

Madeira , Antigua , St Maarten , St Kitts , St Lucia and Barbados ,

cruise A124A, 15 nights in all

thanks

Madeira. Watch for the difference between to two gardens, Botanical and Tropical. One is at the top of the cable lift, Tropical, the other Botanical which is featured in the brochures with the square pattern garden is lower down and can be accessed by road. If you go to the top of the chair lift, you have to use another lift to come down to the Botanical :( Been there, done that, had the extra ride.

St Kitts. Not done it, but the train ride was enjoyed by my family when we went there. Its the old suger cane train now tourist attraction.

St Lucia. If you do the Land/Sea Excursion, get to the assembly point ASAP :rolleyes: Two groups do this. One 'Land' first, one 'Sea' first. The first away is 'Land' first and then 'Sea' which involves swimming and plenty of Rum Punch after Lunch. Much the best way to do it :D

My two pennyworth :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replys ,

we are going to ,

Madeira , Antigua , St Maarten , St Kitts , St Lucia and Barbados ,

cruise A124A, 15 nights in all

thanks

Great! Thanks for reminding me where we're going cos I keep forgetting :rolleyes: You get to enjoy a full day and night in Barbados :D

Last year the weather was absolutely perfect on Ventura for the crossing. After the first day, it was red hot with barely a breath of wind. Azura wasn't so lucky, sailing a few days later, with a delay in Southampton due to rough seas and a rougher crossing.

Azura is a nice ship but gets very busy on sea days which you have a lot of.

Madeira:-Don't do a P&O trip if you want to go up the cable car the free shuttle drops you virtually at the cable car, go into the gardens at the top & either walk down(with care) or get the toboggan thing.

Antigua:-if you haven't been before you should do a trip involving Nelsons dockyard & Shirley heights, but this need not take all day, go to one of Antigua's beautiful beaches, arguably some of, if not the best in the region.

St Maarten:-Lots of shopping & a handy beach or go further afield for a tour,

St. Kitts:- We did the railway tour, some say it is the best thing ever we thought it was just OK. We didn't like this island & feel that care should be taken.

St. Lucia:-People say Cosol do a good tour, P&O also do a good one "By land & sea" Not wonderful beaches here & you really need to do some sort of tour. This will be your only island with rainforest so I would do that

Barbados:-Depends how long you are there, if just until the flight goes that day make the most of a P&O trip that will show you around & then to the airport, don't just sit on the ship waiting to go home. The Concorde exhibition is at the airport , within walking distance, If you are there for a second day you can do virtually anything, popular trips are snorkeling with turtles or "fun" catamaran sailings. Barbados isn't the most beautiful island, no real jungly bits but has got some history to it. Basically South coast- busy with lots of bars wider bigger beaches but busy, East coast wild & peaceful but few places to swim. West coast is traditionally ''Posher", more natural looking beaches than the South but access is sometimes difficult. If you have the time, do snorkel with turtles, an island tour of some kind, wander along the South coast Boardwalk, see Concorde on the way to the airport.

We usually do P&O trips unless we known the place we are.

Should have added, that when you go to Madeira, the ship berths out on a quay opposite the town. You 'could' walk it, but there is a free shuttle bus, (well it has always been free when we have been there) which comes onto the quay alongside the ship, it's quite wide, and takes you onto the seafront proper. The lift is a short walk away and the town is THERE!!

Azura is a nice ship but gets very busy on sea days which you have a lot of.

Madeira:-Don't do a P&O trip if you want to go up the cable car the free shuttle drops you virtually at the cable car, go into the gardens at the top & either walk down(with care) or get the toboggan thing.

Antigua:-if you haven't been before you should do a trip involving Nelsons dockyard & Shirley heights, but this need not take all day, go to one of Antigua's beautiful beaches, arguably some of, if not the best in the region.

St Maarten:-Lots of shopping & a handy beach or go further afield for a tour,

St. Kitts:- We did the railway tour, some say it is the best thing ever we thought it was just OK. We didn't like this island & feel that care should be taken.

St. Lucia:-People say Cosol do a good tour, P&O also do a good one "By land & sea" Not wonderful beaches here & you really need to do some sort of tour. This will be your only island with rainforest so I would do that

Barbados:-Depends how long you are there, if just until the flight goes that day make the most of a P&O trip that will show you around & then to the airport, don't just sit on the ship waiting to go home. The Concorde exhibition is at the airport , within walking distance, If you are there for a second day you can do virtually anything, popular trips are snorkeling with turtles or "fun" catamaran sailings. Barbados isn't the most beautiful island, no real jungly bits but has got some history to it. Basically South coast- busy with lots of bars wider bigger beaches but busy, East coast wild & peaceful but few places to swim. West coast is traditionally ''Posher", more natural looking beaches than the South but access is sometimes difficult. If you have the time, do snorkel with turtles, an island tour of some kind, wander along the South coast Boardwalk, see Concorde on the way to the airport.

We usually do P&O trips unless we known the place we are.

Interesting about St Kitts. We avoided that train trip last time because of warnings of delays back to the ship, but we intend to try it this time I think. We really liked this island.

St Maarten, we loved Maho beach with the planes landing over our heads.

Might take your advice about St. Lucia seeing as we've never been here.

Barbados, (OP is there overnight) the South coast Boardwalk was such a lovely way to spend our long day. We set off walking from the ship and walked all the way round to the Hilton, then on the deserted pure white beaches to the Boardwalk (see pic), called at a beautiful Tapas bar, then finished up with strong rum punches at Hastings Beach and taxi back. It was a perfect day and I am tempted to do the same again.

524770884_barbados(24).jpg.c47b907348cb7ee14d5f26ad07ab488b.jpg

Hi

I first went to Madeira when we were on the Oceana in 2005, loved it so much I've been 6 times since! The Strawberry World tours are great but they usually leave about 8.45 from the Monumental district so I don't know if you'll make it (Nuns Valley is fab though) If you chose to stop in Funchal, the cable car is an easy walk away - you'll probably be able to see the station from the ship. Don't fall for a trip to Blandy's (port makers) & the flower market as they are an easy walk away! There's a hop on hop off bus too. Arm yourself with a map!

There is also a great company that run catarmaran trips from the harbour wall - called Sea Pleasure I think, google it. The trips are about 30euros and last 3 hours - love them!

Can't help with the other ports.

Gillian

Interesting about St Kitts. We avoided that train trip last time because of warnings of delays back to the ship, but we intend to try it this time I think. We really liked this island.

St Maarten, we loved Maho beach with the planes landing over our heads.

Might take your advice about St. Lucia seeing as we've never been here.

Barbados, (OP is there overnight) the South coast Boardwalk was such a lovely way to spend our long day. We set off walking from the ship and walked all the way round to the Hilton, then on the deserted pure white beaches to the Boardwalk (see pic), called at a beautiful Tapas bar, then finished up with strong rum punches at Hastings Beach and taxi back. It was a perfect day and I am tempted to do the same again.

I think the train ride is only available via the ship so delays are not a problem, we didn't think there was that much to see, but the free drinks & singing were nice. We didn't go to the area of the island where the hotels are so may have got a bad impression, it just seemed a bit of a dump, a bus was held up at gunpoint last year too. St.Lucia is not well endowed with beaches but is a pretty, jungly but mountainous island, country roads are a bit dodgy, especially in the hills. Marigot bay is pretty too.

Thats a fair old walk from the ship in Barbados, not for everyone. Apart from a bit near the Hilton I have never seen deserted beaches in the South, & find the area quite busy & built up, some like this I suppose. The boardwalk ends at Accra/Rockley beach this is probably where you ended up.

I love Madeira, spent a week there last year and have stopped on cruises too,

No need for a tour as others have said, walk along the prom to the cable car station and take the cable car up to the top for the Gardens at Monte Palace,

about 10 photos here of Madeira and the cable cars, which are all very new cars.

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/1stCruiseCanariesOnArcadiaMay06#5113824132620747458

Lots of shops, bars and restaurants when you come down again into Madeira town, to fill the day.

I think the train ride is only available via the ship so delays are not a problem, we didn't think there was that much to see, but the free drinks & singing were nice. We didn't go to the area of the island where the hotels are so may have got a bad impression, it just seemed a bit of a dump, a bus was held up at gunpoint last year too. St.Lucia is not well endowed with beaches but is a pretty, jungly but mountainous island, country roads are a bit dodgy, especially in the hills. Marigot bay is pretty too.

Thats a fair old walk from the ship in Barbados, not for everyone. Apart from a bit near the Hilton I have never seen deserted beaches in the South, & find the area quite busy & built up, some like this I suppose. The boardwalk ends at Accra/Rockley beach this is probably where you ended up.

I thought you could do that train on your own? I haven't researched it properly yet this year. Free drinks and singing sounds right up my street/train line :D

We wondered how far we'd walked in Barbados. From the deserted beaches next to the Hilton, they remained deserted all the way round almost to where we got off, which was probably where you said, Rockley Beach. Hardly any part was built up and we didn't see a soul on the Boardwalk.

Hmmm- you walked from the pier to town, through town over the bridge, out the other side along highway 7 round Carlisle Bay past Needhams Point to the Hilton? I would say this is the most heavily populated & built on part of the island. Look inland from the boardwalk or step off the beach at Rockley back to the road it's all buildings, very nice if you stay on the beach though.

Another thought, not my cup of tea, but the Fish Fry (other food available) at Oistins (about same distance again) is popular, most busy on a Friday but is there on other nights.

We have also done the Tropical Spectacular show/Bajan Roots, one of those things you think you wont like but do, if you see what I mean.

Barbados has some top flight restaurants like Tides & the Cliff up West & Champers or Whispers down South.

Hmmm- you walked from the pier to town, through town over the bridge, out the other side along highway 7 round Carlisle Bay past Needhams Point to the Hilton? I would say this is the most heavily populated & built on part of the island. Look inland from the boardwalk or step off the beach at Rockley back to the road it's all buildings, very nice if you stay on the beach though.

Another thought, not my cup of tea, but the Fish Fry (other food available) at Oistins (about same distance again) is popular, most busy on a Friday but is there on other nights.

We have also done the Tropical Spectacular show, one of those things you think you wont like but do, if you see what I mean.

Barbados has some top flight restaurants like Tides & the Cliff up West & Champers or Whispers down South.

Ah! Of course, yes it was busy up to the Hilton, and seriously lacking in bars, we were dying of thirst :eek: but walking beyond the Hilton Beach was the deserted beach part :cool:.

Ah! Of course, yes it was busy up to the Hilton, and seriously lacking in bars, we were dying of thirst :eek: but walking beyond the Hilton Beach was the deserted beach part :cool:.

You could have gone in the Hilton for a drink, pay cash.

When you turn the corner by the Hilton there is a delightful bit of beach, almost like a seaside beach in UK, rock pools & little fish, you pass the Savannah hotel, the racetrack is over the road, & keep on 'til you meet the boardwalk then it starts to get busier again.

You could have gone in the Hilton for a drink, pay cash.

When you turn the corner by the Hilton there is a delightful bit of beach, almost like a seaside beach in UK, rock pools & little fish, you pass the Savannah hotel, the racetrack is over the road, & keep on 'til you meet the boardwalk then it starts to get busier again.

We did go in the Hilton for a drink and Grand Barbados but we had been walking for ages by then ;) I like a bar every 5 minutes.

Archived