Internet on Dream

We are going on the Dream Feb 24th. I want to take my I pad but wondered if I would be able to get Internet access on the ship? Also, are the safes large enough for me to store it in? Can anyone advise on what currency to take? Am really looking forward to going and so pleased the ship seems to be improving. :)

I would take the ipad and put some films and games on it .Also Im sure some of the ports you visit will have internet cafes and they will be alot cheaper than the ship.

If you look up the port information on this site: Caribbean then your specific ports of call you may be able to find where internet cafes are located near the port e.g. here is the link for Grenada - scroll down to the bottom for 'Keeping in touch'

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/ports/newport.cfm?ID=18

We are going on the Dream Feb 24th. I want to take my I pad but wondered if I would be able to get Internet access on the ship? Also, are the safes large enough for me to store it in? Can anyone advise on what currency to take? Am really looking forward to going and so pleased the ship seems to be improving. :)

1. wireless internet access is officially available (at a cost) in the library but is seemed to work in some other public areas as well. Go to the library for instructions and:

1. be aware that "Full name" actually means surname only in the login process :confused:
    2. make a note of the logoff URL (and use it when you have finished) - just disconnecting does not stop charging :mad:

[*]the iPad fits comfortably in the safe

[*]there is a great GPS app called GPS HD - costs almost nothing for the app and the maps are free. Download the maps of the Caribbean and if you have an outside cabin you can sit you iPad in the window and watch your progress. the only bad thing about this app is that the map downloads take forever - only download the level of detail you need

[*]currency: GBP/EUR (which needs to be converted at the port) for Cuba - USD everywhere else. Euros seem to get the best rate in Cuba so if you already have them use them but, it is probably not worth buying Euros just for the purpose. DO NOT CONVERT US DOLLARS IN CUBA - the USD rate seems to be about 20% worse that the EUR rate judging from the moans I heard from a passenger who chose to ignore the advice

Thanks for your info on this subject. We do have an outside cabin so will download that useful app. I am going to download some films and games also before we go. I presume you take I pads in hand luggage and just wondered if there were any problems going through customs with them in Cuba? I know it is only the same as an I phone but bigger screen. I am glad it will fit in the safe as I was worried about it getting stolen. We are grateful for all your help. thanks!

Thanks for your info on this subject. We do have an outside cabin so will download that useful app. I am going to download some films and games also before we go. I presume you take I pads in hand luggage and just wondered if there were any problems going through customs with them in Cuba? I know it is only the same as an I phone but bigger screen. I am glad it will fit in the safe as I was worried about it getting stolen. We are grateful for all your help. thanks!

Yes, take it in your hand luggage - I fly every week and i dont bother to take it out at security (think of it as a phone rather than a PC) unless they specifically ask - in Cuba they queried it on the X-Ray but it caused no problems

Start downloading those maps now - when I said slow I mean really slow - many, many hours - well worth the effort. In general you want maximum amount of detail only for town centres you may visit (surrounding areas get included at lower detail) - trying to include entire islands at max detail is a bad move

• 4 years later...

We are booked on Thomson Dream Cuban Fusion/pride of Panama flight/cruise starting 29.12.2015. I asked about Internet on board and received the answer which is attached. Hope this helps

Thomson Dream Internet Prices.pdf

Edited by Divoch

• 3 weeks later...
We are booked on Thomson Dream Cuban Fusion/pride of Panama flight/cruise starting 29.12.2015. I asked about Internet on board and received the answer which is attached. Hope this helps

I'm on the same cruise, I've taken the £50 option for the week (I'm quite a heavy user if the Internet), which is expensive, but better than some cruises I've been on. So far it's proving more than adequate.

I've been very happy so far; to put this in perspective, we normally cruise with Cunard, P&O (and have done NCL as well). It was a sea day today and we did struggle to find a pair of sun loungers so only to be expected really. The buffet is not big, so I expect it will get busy in there. Has a really nice coffee (Explorers lounge I believe it was). The only complaint so far really is, that it's 30 years old and the decor is dated, but cabins are a good size, but it's bloody noisy compared to new ships. I'll update as we go on.

Well at the end of the first day all is well (in general). We ate in the MDR last night. We arrived at 20:10 and there was a queue of about 40 - 50 people in front of us, but it moved quite swiftly, and then the group in front of us wanted a table or four, but as a table for two came up we were able to jump in front.

The starter of Mexican bean chilli tortilla was very nice, as was the jalapeno and sweet potato soup, but my main dish of beef stroganoff and rice was very disappointing, the rice was over cooked (and somehow dry) and the beef whilst tasty, was as dry as an old boot and tough, it wasn't terrible, but I've eaten better (or at worst case similar) in other buffets let alone MDRs). My wife had the same starter, but a fish dish for her main which she said was "very nice".

The show that evening was "At the Copa" (Copa Cabana), a musical based on the "her name was Lola, she was a show girl etc song". It was a bit cheesy, but the main singers were very good, and whilst I normally quite often drop off in the evening show, I actually quite enjoyed this one and, consequently stayed awake.

The staff have all been very friendly and efficient, however the wine waiter in the MDR seemed very overstretched.

Well at the end of the first day all is well (in general). We ate in the MDR last night. We arrived at 20:10 and there was a queue of about 40 - 50 people in front of us, but it moved quite swiftly, and then the group in front of us wanted a table or four, but as a table for two came up we were able to jump in front.

The starter of Mexican bean chilli tortilla was very nice, as was the jalapeno and sweet potato soup, but my main dish of beef stroganoff and rice was very disappointing, the rice was over cooked (and somehow dry) and the beef whilst tasty, was as dry as an old boot and tough, it wasn't terrible, but I've eaten better (or at worst case similar) in other buffets let alone MDRs). My wife had the same starter, but a fish dish for her main which she said was "very nice".

The show that evening was "At the Copa" (Copa Cabana), a musical based on the "her name was Lola, she was a show girl etc song". It was a bit cheesy, but the main singers were very good, and whilst I normally quite often drop off in the evening show, I actually quite enjoyed this one and, consequently stayed awake.

The staff have all been very friendly and efficient, however the wine waiter in the MDR seemed very overstretched.

Hi mark we always go to the back of the mdr as there is never a queue .when people are queuing up to get in go to the other door they will show you to a table, mind you we usually eat at the same table and get served by Ronald who we look out for. But the back always seems less busier.