Cruising P&O with a toddler - questions

P&O princess

Hi everyone,

I know there is a family section on these boards - and have got some really great general advice from there about travelling with toddlers/children. But as I am after specific info on P&O Australian ships I thought I'd post here.

We are a family of 5 travelling on Pacific Pearl in Sept this year (2 adults, 7yrs, 5yrs and 22months). Obviously, due to P&O's limit of 4 to a cabin, we have booked 2 cabins (4 berth and twin). However, if possible, we were hoping to all sleep in the same cabin - by bringing a portacot along for our youngest. I know it will be a bit squishy, but we only plan on sleeping in the cabin.

Has anyone done this? Did it work successfully? If not, why?

Also, has anyone used the cots that P&O supply onboard? What are they like? If anyone has any pictures they would like to share, I would be so grateful!

In relation to the pools onboard, I know that children who are not toilet trained are not allowed in - and completely understand why! But on the Pearl deck plans it shows a paddling pool on deck 11. Does anybody know if this pool (maybe like a 'splash area) is designated for toddlers (toilet trained or not?) or if it is just a childrens pool?

Finally, with the kids clubs. Are there set times when we can accompany a child under 3 into Turtle Cove, or can we access it anytime that it is open (ie. when the other children are there).

Any other helpful tips etc about travelling P&O with children would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi everyone,

I know there is a family section on these boards - and have got some really great general advice from there about travelling with toddlers/children. But as I am after specific info on P&O Australian ships I thought I'd post here.

We are a family of 5 travelling on Pacific Pearl in Sept this year (2 adults, 7yrs, 5yrs and 22months). Obviously, due to P&O's limit of 4 to a cabin, we have booked 2 cabins (4 berth and twin). However, if possible, we were hoping to all sleep in the same cabin - by bringing a portacot along for our youngest. I know it will be a bit squishy, but we only plan on sleeping in the cabin.

Has anyone done this? Did it work successfully? If not, why?

Also, has anyone used the cots that P&O supply onboard? What are they like? If anyone has any pictures they would like to share, I would be so grateful!

In relation to the pools onboard, I know that children who are not toilet trained are not allowed in - and completely understand why! But on the Pearl deck plans it shows a paddling pool on deck 11. Does anybody know if this pool (maybe like a 'splash area) is designated for toddlers (toilet trained or not?) or if it is just a childrens pool?

Finally, with the kids clubs. Are there set times when we can accompany a child under 3 into Turtle Cove, or can we access it anytime that it is open (ie. when the other children are there).

Any other helpful tips etc about travelling P&O with children would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance for any help!

hi, if you have 2 cabins why not use them and have 1 adult in one cabin and the other adult in the other one and then you wont be so crammed in and i think the cabin steward wouldnt like 5 in the same room as he/she has to clean the room

i think someone said the back pools on deck 11 were spas so your toddler not being toilet trained would not be able to use them

i cant tell you about the kids club

I just got off a cruise with a toddle he was about 22 months I think.

The cots look similar to this but a lot older.

oomo-bright-sparks-lightweight-travel-cot.jpg

We had to book 2 rooms as well cause of it but it was good if someone wanted a good night sleep to go into the spare room.

You could all sleep in one room we did this one time during the day but its better to use both rooms

But i dont think they would like 5 people in a cabin all the time.

Thank you for your replies.

I was told by P&O that it is a fixed cot that is supplied. That is why I was wondering what it would actually be like. I think I will bring my own portacot either way. We can store it in the 2nd cabin if we don't use it.

As for us all sharing, I just thought it would be nice for us all to be together at night, rather than my husband & I split. I guess we'll just take it day by day and see what happens when we're on board.

I don't see the issue with 5 in the room. There are many cases with 2 adults, 2 children, so just adding the portacot isn't a big issue (though will make things tight, but that's your issue, not the cruise line's). Other lines also offer rooms for 5 so I don't see that having 5 of itself in the cabin is a general issue (aside from safety reasons).

as we have not been on the pearl as yet and from what I can see from the P&O book the four berth cabin is the same as the Pacific sun, if it is the same and as we have done in the past is have the porter cot between the bunks, but we only have three plus a baby in the cot, but you still use the same amount of room with three bunks down as you do with four bunks down.

If it was me, I would store the excess luggage in the second cabin(assume it is next door) and sleep 2 kids in one bottom bunk and the other child in the other bottom bunk. Then you two parents can take the two top ones.

You also will have the spare cabin if kids need a afternoon nap and others just need a cabin.

A parent can also use the second cabin if they have had a bad night the night before.

You could even put the mattress on the floor for the kids, and not bring the portacot. You need to bring enough stuff for the kids anyway.

Make sure you bring plenty of nappies etc and any special foods your kids eat. There will be a ton of different food though available.

A small fold up stroller is also useful if for instance you want to see a show and toddler is sleepy, or just walking around the decks at nap time.

A "maybe" idea...do you have an older teen relative or even just a relative that would want to go with you. You may find it is not much more to add them, if you have a twin cabin booked for one person. That way they could do a bit of babysitting for you at nights as I think with 3 small children you will be in need of a bit of free time.

A cruise is perfect for mums, no beds to make, no bathrooms to clean, no dishes to wash, perfect...

Archived