Morning star or Sapphire Beach?

donnysmom

My husband and I will be in St. Thomas with Royal Caribbean next month. We don't plan to do an excursion, rather just take a taxi to a beautiful beach with good facilities (food, rest rooms, etc.). I've read several threads on this board and I'm coming back with the impression that, while beautiful, Sapphire beach's facilities leave much to be desired.

I did see a comment about Morning Star that intrigued me, but I'm wondering if it is as beautiful as Sapphire Beach and if the facilities are better. Any comments are appreciated.

My husband and I will be in St. Thomas with Royal Caribbean next month. We don't plan to do an excursion, rather just take a taxi to a beautiful beach with good facilities (food, rest rooms, etc.). I've read several threads on this board and I'm coming back with the impression that, while beautiful, Sapphire beach's facilities leave much to be desired.

I did see a comment about Morning Star that intrigued me, but I'm wondering if it is as beautiful as Sapphire Beach and if the facilities are better. Any comments are appreciated.

Morning Star is closer (next to the big Marriott) but by far Sapphire is the superior beach. If you are planning on spending an entire day Sapphire is definitely worth the ride. Morning Star is a little rocky and not nearly as nice. The only advantage is distance.

There are decent bathrooms (my wife says so ;)) and they do have food and beverage on the beach. Also beautiful views of St. Johns in the distance. They also have some decent snorkeling and you can rent beach chairs.

Thanks for the response. Do you know how long the cab ride is from the cruise pier?

Depending on traffic, probabaly 25 mins. It's worth it though. You will see more of the island and the beach is far superior. It's located just past Red Hook if you care to google. Coming back just leave a little extra time for rush hour. You will not need to go past Charlotte Amalie downtown to get to Sapphire Beach so it should not be too bad.

Another closer option (although not as nice as Sapphire IMHO) is Bolongo Bay. They have a great bar / restaurant operation there called Izzy's which is really fun and right on the beach. Not sure of their hours but you can check them on the internet. Not nearly as scenic but good snorkeling. It's about :15 mins away from port.

If you budgeted a full day - Sapphire. Megan's is always great too but no snorkeling and VERY crowded.

Just got back from Sapphire Beach and will say it is a great beach. However, food is a little pricey. Drinks are average to above average. Chair rentals are $10. Plenty of shade.

Just a comment - whenever you go to the beach food & drink will be expensive. Captive audience you know. One suggestion I have if you are heading our to Sapphire is that you will be going through the town of Red Hook. There are several restaurants including a Subway sandwich place in a stripmall. You can make a deal with your cab driver to stop at that Subway on the way out to Sapphire. It's not out of his way.

PS - the Iguanas love the lettuce on the sandwich! ;)

Just a comment - whenever you go to the beach food & drink will be expensive. Captive audience you know. One suggestion I have if you are heading our to Sapphire is that you will be going through the town of Red Hook. There are several restaurants including a Subway sandwich place in a stripmall. You can make a deal with your cab driver to stop at that Subway on the way out to Sapphire. It's not out of his way.

PS - the Iguanas love the lettuce on the sandwich! ;)

That's a great tip! Food gets pricey off the ship. You don't mind spending the money because you're on vacation. But, it's a little hard to digest(pun intended) when you know there's great food being served back on the ship, included with your cruise. Subway is reasonable and easily transportable to the beach! Thanks for the heads up!

• 2 weeks later...
That's a great tip! Food gets pricey off the ship. You don't mind spending the money because you're on vacation. But, it's a little hard to digest(pun intended) when you know there's great food being served back on the ship, included with your cruise. Subway is reasonable and easily transportable to the beach! Thanks for the heads up!

I agree!

Archived