Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

My daughter dyed my naturally red-going-white hair a color called Cinnamon Twist two summers ago. It has grown out some. I am lucky that it is so close to my natural color that the roots are not *OMG* obvious.

I have a friend that is (was) a hair dresser. She has done semipermanant color several times now and I love what she does. She's had to give it up because of neck pain.:(

geocruiser: WELCOME!! I always get a warm fuzzy boost to read a new posters comments:)!

Purple Hays: WELCOME to you, too! Cinnamon Twist sounds like a beautiful red shade - I'm envious!!

I've decided to call my hair stylist to see what she can do to lighten my hair. Even though the stylist used the same formula, the color is much more brown than blonde - even with highlights.

Not a big deal if my roots wouldn't be such a contrast to the dark color. In 3 weeks the roots will show.:eek:

Anyway, my hair stylist doesn't work until Thursday, so I'll call then (or maybe go to the salon) to see what she can do...

Edited by indiana71

Thank you for the welcome. I just finished reading the WHOLE thread. I love all the packing and fashion tips. I all ways planned my outfits for each day. But now I will do it better. I will make a list of what day I will wear each outfit.

One thing that I do is when I pack a suit case I start by lining my suit case with plastic on the inside. I use a large hefty bag or a piece of a plastic table cloth that fits and covers the whole button of the suit cast. When done packing I place another piece over the clothiers and tuck it down the sides of the case. Then I zip it up. This plastic keeps the clothes from getting we, if it is raining when we get to the port. I have seen the cases left in the rain waiting to be loaded onto the ship. My things never get wet because of the plastic.

Geocruiser -

What a fabulous idea!

I remember one road trip - CO to VA, 3 kids, BF and dog, where we had a wedding with one side of the family and ocean camping with the other.

We had a softsided luggage topper from Target that got ripped to shreds just during the drive (and the minivan was in a parking garage for the hurricane!). Everything for the wedding (inside a softsided suitcase and softsided duffels inside the topper) got damp. Your tip could have really saved a lot of hassle and weird drying time!

The clear plastic that you buy by the yard can also be used. I get it a Walmart for 97 cents a yard. If you make each piece long enought to line the bottom ,sides ant top of your suite case . Take the first piece and put it on the bottom lenght wise in your suit case with the extra lenght hanging out the sides. Then put the second piece width wise with the extra hanging out the sides. Pack your stuff. When packed fold over the extra lenght wise then fold over the extra with wise. This should cover all your things. It can be saved after use. I hope I was able to explain it right!

geocruiser: I'm guessing that the plastic you buy is a bit heavier than drycleaning bags, making it easier to fold over.

Either way, it's an inexpensive, easy way to keep the contents of your suitcase dry:)!

Now if I could just find a good way to get DH to finish laying out his clothes:eek:...shorts, dinner pants and shoes...that's all that's left!

geocruiser: I'm guessing that the plastic you buy is a bit heavier than drycleaning bags, making it easier to fold over.

Either way, it's an inexpensive, easy way to keep the contents of your suitcase dry:)!

Now if I could just find a good way to get DH to finish laying out his clothes:eek:...shorts, dinner pants and shoes...that's all that's left!

Dry cleaning bags would work too!

For those that need a plethora of bathing suits to choose from, Lands End suits are currently on sale. I just bought four. Well worth the price. I prefer a tankini top with a skirt and was able to find some good deals and adorable patterns. I'd post pics but I'm shy!!!

We used to live on Maui.

Be sure to take in a Luau while you are there.

An interesting place to see is Haleakala, but take a jacket if you go up there. We lived in Kehei so we could watch in snow on Haleakala from our kitchen window and then walk to the living room and watch the surfers in the ocean. It was really neat.

If you are landing in Kahalui you will be on the Kehei side of the island. Wialea resort is on that side of the island, along with all 3 of the Kamamaha beaches. Besure to visit old town Kehei. It is on the main road going to Lahaina.

If you are flying in to Lahaina then besure to visit the fishing village. Enjoy the drive between Kehei and Lahaina, some of the most beutiful scenery can be had there.

Also take the ride upcountry to Hana. It is a breathtaking ride!!!

Most of all enjoy the island and ALOHA!!!!:D

Momtoabowhead, what part of North Carolina are you from?

I was just in Black Mountain the 1st of the month visiting my daughter and her family.

I loved all the trees and green everywhere!! Sure is prettier then Arizona this time of year.

Edited by TNGALOHA

We used to live on Maui.

Be sure to take in a Luau while you are there.

An interesting place to see is Haleakala, but take a jacket if you go up there. We lived in Kehei so we could watch in snow on Haleakala from our kitchen window and then walk to the living room and watch the surfers in the ocean. It was really neat.

If you are landing in Kahalui you will be on the Kehei side of the island. Wialea resort is on that side of the island, along with all 3 of the Kamamaha beaches. Besure to visit old town Kehei. It is on the main road going to Lahaina.

If you are flying in to Lahaina then besure to visit the fishing village. Enjoy the drive between Kehei and Lahaina, some of the most beutiful scenery can be had there.

Also take the ride upcountry to Hana. It is a breathtaking ride!!!

Most of all enjoy the island and ALOHA!!!!:D

Momtoabowhead, what part of North Carolina are you from?

I was just in Black Mountain the 1st of the month visiting my daughter and her family.

I loved all the trees and green everywhere!! Sure is prettier then Arizona this time of year.

I live in Charlotte!

We fly into Kahului and are staying at the Hyatt Regency in Lahaina. We rented a car.

I'm going to print your post because I will never remember all these names!!

Enjoy your trip and remember no matter what you can never get lost. You are on an island and every road leads to the main roads.

If you like wine they have some great wineries in the upcountry.

Enjoy the scenic drive from Kahalui to Lahaina. The ocean will be on your left after you leave Kehei. Shortly after you leave Kehei you will have a big curve and you will probably see Dolphins playing in that area. The whales are there when it is whale season, but this time of year you will see more dolphins.

I am soooooo envious!!! I would love to be back in the Islands. They are so gorgeous and the Aloha spirit is so strong. Enjoy your time there and enjoy the food and hospitality the islanders have to offer.

ALOHA!

Edited by TNGALOHA

Any 'must do' things? We don't have

much of an itinerary, just going to wing it!

Make sure to stop into one of the many ABC stores on the island for cute, inexpensive T shirts, pareos and "slippahs" (flip flops).

Okay, now that I have made my post somewhat "fashion related" - I will also say that I love land vacations in Hawaii just for the fact that you don't have to have much of an itinerary other than "where shall we snorkel today?" Everywhere you go is beautiful scenery, it is great just to soak up the Aloha atmosphere. One place we really enjoyed though was I'ao Valley. It is a state park, beautiful and lush with the famous I'ao Needle that you have probably seen photos of, and it is also the site of a famous historical battle. Very interesting and easily doable short trip from Ka'anapali Beach, where the Hyatt is located. Enjoy your trip!

To be honest I have done no research in terms of what to do or see. We figured we would ask some local and go from there. So glad you all are so knowledgeable.

We are for sure doing a luau at the resort and plan to hit up the swap meet - like a flea market - on Saturday. Other than that we are totally up in the air. Will likely do a zip line tour at some point - hoping we can book this through the resort.

I just hope to relax and enjoy a kid free, husband free vacation. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the past 5 days, I was the exact opposite of a CCF:eek:!

DH & I, along with our Local DS flew to Minneapolis. DH & I always go in June, but this year Out-of-Town DS demolished his old deck and started building a new one. Local DS is a contractor who specializes in decks. So taking him was a no-brainer. O-of-T DS didn't know, so it was quite a surprise to see his brother!

We worked hard every day and the guys were pleasantly surprised to see mom carrying buckets of concrete and helping where I could. Dressed in old black pants, a Tshirt and very unattractive tie shoes; I was not a pretty picture!

But we're back home and can almost smell the sea air for our cruise in One Week:cool:.

Packing can be completed in about an hour - some cosmetics that went to Minneapolis (I might have been dressed for construction work - but I DID put make-up on every day!) and DH's shorts and dinner pants need to be selected.

He says he has plenty of time and will get what is needed by Monday - :eek:. I must except that he isn't the Pack Ahead type...

momtoabowhead: Going to Hawaii is awesome:cool::cool:! Enjoy every minute! I was on Oahu for a week when DH was in the service and had R&R. The luau is one of my fondest memories.

Don't you love the middle-of-summer sales. Lands End & Kohl's have great deals. Snatch up those swimsuits - a CCF can never have too many:)!