Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I went shopping after I got my hair cut today and found a gorgeous purple Ralph Lauren dress on clearance for $15!!! It fit like a glove and made my curves rock and my hair pop. :D It's this dress in a beautiful jewel tone purple http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/lauren-ralph-lauren-faux-wrap-jersey-dress-plus/3332034?origin=keywordsearch&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=4235

Lisa

That's the best feeling...to find something you absolutely love for such a great price! It's gorgeous!

I was wondering if anyone has done a bra fitting at Intimacy? There isn't one close to us, but I was thinking of doing one when we are in NY in 3 weeks. We are only there for 3 days and it will be our first time there. I don't want to waste any of that time with a bra fitting unless it's really worth it!

RedHeadTexan: Nordstrom is a great place for bargains - high quality at a reduced price AND a beautiful dress, too:). The style of your dress is my favorite because it flatters every female shape.

deladela: Don't know anything about Intimacy, but any shop that offers professional undergarment fitting is worth going to. There's one in Rehoboth Beach that I visit every summer and the fitting and advise is priceless!

Great dress and color. I love both.

That's the best feeling...to find something you absolutely love for such a great price! It's gorgeous!

I went shopping after I got my hair cut today and found a gorgeous purple Ralph Lauren dress on clearance for $15!!! It fit like a glove and made my curves rock and my hair pop. :D It's this dress in a beautiful jewel tone purple http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/lauren-ralph-lauren-faux-wrap-jersey-dress-plus/3332034?origin=keywordsearch&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=4235

Lisa

I didn't see the entire segment, but Good Morning America did a story on bra fittings, stating that women often wear the wrong size and should see a professional to find the correct size and style...just reiterating what we CCFs have been saying!

BTW - have you seen the TV ads for Genie Bra? "For 3 payments of $19.95 you can get.....". Well, WalMart has a "As Seen on TV" section, and there were Genie Bras (2 in a box, black & beige)...so I bought a box ($19.95 Total). They're better fitting than I expected, Size Medium. If you buy them, pay attention to the sizing info on the back of the box. Where normally my instinct would be to pick the Small (I'm a 34B) - not this time. A Small would fit my 9-year old granddaughter:confused:!

Anyway, these low-cost bras are okay for every day wear - comfortable, pullover style and straps stay in place, but IMHO, not the kind of fit or look preferred for going out OR cruising.

I didn't see the entire segment, but Good Morning America did a story on bra fittings, stating that women often wear the wrong size and should see a professional to find the correct size and style...just reiterating what we CCFs have been saying!

BTW - have you seen the TV ads for Genie Bra? "For 3 payments of $19.95 you can get.....". Well, WalMart has a "As Seen on TV" section, and there were Genie Bras (2 in a box, black & beige)...so I bought a box ($19.95 Total). They're better fitting than I expected, Size Medium. If you buy them, pay attention to the sizing info on the back of the box. Where normally my instinct would be to pick the Small (I'm a 34B) - not this time. A Small would fit my 9-year old granddaughter:confused:!

Anyway, these low-cost bras are okay for every day wear - comfortable, pullover style and straps stay in place, but IMHO, not the kind of fit or look preferred for going out OR cruising.

Thanks for sharing the good morning america info! I have always heard that women usually wear the wrong size. I have tried doing a fitting at a department store and it didn't really help. Intimacy in NYC is where "what not to wear" sends their people for fittings. That's why I was thinking of going there.

I was going to try the genie bras, but I read a lot of reviews and they were not good if you have a larger chest because they don't have enough structure to support.

Hi,

Yes I looked at those in Walmart too; they felt like a weak sport bra or maybe those bras I used to see advertised as "sleep bras" in the paper catalogs that used to come in the mail. Agree with Indiana, not what you'd want to wear under nice clothing. Not worth the money imo.

Betty

I have never gone to Intimacy myself but have friends who have. They raved about the service but the bras cost well above $100 if I remember correctly. Just wanted to be sure that you were aware of that before you went to NYC.

Thanks for sharing the good morning america info! I have always heard that women usually wear the wrong size. I have tried doing a fitting at a department store and it didn't really help. Intimacy in NYC is where "what not to wear" sends their people for fittings. That's why I was thinking of going there.

I was going to try the genie bras, but I read a lot of reviews and they were not good if you have a larger chest because they don't have enough structure to support.

Hi..if you're thinking of going to Intimacy, you will have a bra fitting unlike any other! They have a rather unorthodox fitting method. You might want to look into it before making your appointment to see if you'll be comfortable. Also, the bras are very expensive. Having said that, I'm sure it would be an interesting way to spend some time!

I have never gone to Intimacy myself but have friends who have. They raved about the service but the bras cost well above $100 if I remember correctly. Just wanted to be sure that you were aware of that before you went to NYC.

Thanks for the heads up...I figured they would be pretty expensive, but figured it would be worth it for a good bra that fits correctly.

Hi..if you're thinking of going to Intimacy, you will have a bra fitting unlike any other! They have a rather unorthodox fitting method. You might want to look into it before making your appointment to see if you'll be comfortable. Also, the bras are very expensive. Having said that, I'm sure it would be an interesting way to spend some time!

Thanks...I think I lost whatever modesty I had when I had a room full of people in the room for the births of my children!:eek: :oSo I figure it can't be worse than that!

deladela: "What Not to Wear" is one of my favorite shows. I've always wondered if they sent their make-overs to only one shop for under garments. Stacie emphasizes the importance.

If/when you go, please let us know all about it. The issue with spending $$$ is that, for a bra, you probably want more than one...

No, I don't consider myself a "fashionista" BUT - I love planning every detail of every outfit. When all the work is done before SailAway, so much time is saved onboard. I would LOVE to hear what other like-minded clothes-lovers have to say!

Surely, there are others out there who love the tropical clothes and enjoy the process of planning and the comfort of knowing each outfit will be interesting, fun and appropriate???

It has nothing to do with pleasing strangers on a cruise ship, but rather the same kind of self-pampering one gets from having a really good mani-pedi or massage.

In a spare bedroom I assemble every possible clothing item, shoes, jewelry, accessory; then start to build outfits for each occasion. The first is for travel to the ship and (usually) SailAway the same day. We've been leaving out of Baltimore recently so there's no overnight stay in Florida.

Every outfit gets tried on - under garments to accessories - assessed, tweeked and put into a spreadsheet for each occasion. Sometimes DH is consulted - "Which shoes (earrings, top, etc.) looks better?

When it's time to pack, every item gets ironed the day before and layered in the suitcase(s) with tissue paper.

Surprisingly, I only take 1 big suitcase + a carry-on - and a big purse.

Are we related? LOL. I do the same thing. I thought I was all alone. Well said.

deladela: "What Not to Wear" is one of my favorite shows. I've always wondered if they sent their make-overs to only one shop for under garments. Stacie emphasizes the importance.

If/when you go, please let us know all about it. The issue with spending $$$ is that, for a bra, you probably want more than one...

I figure one is a good start. Then once I know my size, I can order more at a later date. I am traveling with my hubby, my sister and her hubby so I don't know how that will go over with the group, but I will let you know if they let me go!

I figure one is a good start. Then once I know my size, I can order more at a later date. I am traveling with my hubby, my sister and her hubby so I don't know how that will go over with the group, but I will let you know if they let me go!

The problem is that the manufacturers make bras that all run a little different! Ive found a bra that fit and then went to order another brand and it didnt grrr. Id love to get a fitting too. I think Nordstrom also does it? Where is the place that they use on WNTW???

The problem is that the manufacturers make bras that all run a little different! Ive found a bra that fit and then went to order another brand and it didnt grrr. Id love to get a fitting too. I think Nordstrom also does it? Where is the place that they use on WNTW???

Intimacy in NYC is the one they use on WNTW, but they have locations in several cities...just not one close to me. :( If I find a bra that works for me then I can order another of the same brand and size from their website. I have done a fitting at a department store and it was pretty much worthless.

I find that the British then European sizes are a much better fit for me being large cup sized.

I truthfully have never found a comfy bra I have bought here so I stopped looking and bulk bought the last time I went home to UK. I actually spent around $700 on underwear with multiple quantities of the same bra/pant(ies) in every color so I am OK for a couple years!

Then I noticed the store we are now talking about above says she brings in most of her stock from Europe.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

fi'fi: Of course we're related;)! All CCFs are in a sisterhood of good style + comfort!! After re-reading the very post ever on this thread - it's all still true!

Thanks for coming on; keep posting:cool:.

CELTICGIRLCRUISER: Buying in bulk is a very CCF thing to do! When you find an item (any item) that is perfect - purchase every color and enjoy:).

When I was fitted in Rehoboth, the bra that worked was French, and it's proven to be a winner.

Went to the cleaners to pick up the rest of the CruiseWear...and it wasn't ready:( - guess it won't be too heartbreaking to wait a little while longer. My calendar was cleared to concentrate on Outfits this weekend...but there's always some household chore that can be done. In the next couple weeks, I can surely find time!

QUESTION: What's the latest you ever packed for a cruise? Days before? Hours???

The Upside to Packing Closer to SailAway Date:

I won't forget about any of the items on the Packing List/Outfit Spreadsheet.

There's all that fun organizing to look forward to.

There are 56 days till the Next Cruise - it's not like I'm leaving next week!!!

Edited by indiana71

Went to the cleaners to pick up the rest of the CruiseWear...and it wasn't ready:( - guess it won't be too heartbreaking to wait a little while longer. My calendar was cleared to concentrate on Outfits this weekend...but there's always some household chore that can be done. In the next couple weeks, I can surely find time!

I packed 3 days in advance. And the day we leave I re check my luggage

I usually try to pack at LEAST 2-3 weeks before we leave, but I have packed as late as a couple of days before when I just didn't have time. The later I pack, the more I pack so earlier is better and much more organized! I leave at 6am on Oct 18th for my next cruise and I am WAY behind! I have barely started on my outfits!:eek: I am planning on spending all day tomorrow trying on and organizing outfits. I also have to finish getting my halloween costume ready...so much to do!!!

My bra collection is rather embarrassing. I'm in the 30's at least. I have a bra drawer, organized by color. :)

So glad to meet someone as bad as I am! I organize all my bras 1st by purpose (i.e. pushup, strapless, plunge) and then I organize those groups individually by color. I am also known to be an awesome list maker:p

Curly I was trying to respond to your pic a couple of days ago. I love that swimsuit. Do you think it has alot of support for the girls LOL.

Did it explain how it holds them up. I would like to get one like that.

Edited by footballbabe3

I went to the Intimacy store in Boston this summer for a fitting. Very professional and no measuring tape in sight! Your fitter asks what your are looking for (ie. everyday bra, "sexy" bra, sports bra etc.) and brings you in a selection to try on. I left very happy with my purchases (who knew I was more of a 40-42 DDD vs the 44C I had been wearing. Many of their bras are from the UK and Europe - I had already been wearing Prima Donna brands - the Europeans just manufacture lovely, well made bras.

Not cheap - I brought a selection of 5 bras, but I am happy, and so are the "girls" and I have cleavage I didn't know I had ;-)

I went to the Intimacy store in Boston this summer for a fitting. Very professional and no measuring tape in sight! Your fitter asks what your are looking for (ie. everyday bra, "sexy" bra, sports bra etc.) and brings you in a selection to try on. I left very happy with my purchases (who knew I was more of a 40-42 DDD vs the 44C I had been wearing. Many of their bras are from the UK and Europe - I had already been wearing Prima Donna brands - the Europeans just manufacture lovely, well made bras.

Not cheap - I brought a selection of 5 bras, but I am happy, and so are the "girls" and I have cleavage I didn't know I had ;-)

Thanks for sharing your intimacy experience! I will have to try to make time to go for a fitting when I'm in NYC. I'm SURE I'm wearing the wrong size, but most stores don't carry anything larger than a 38DD around here...and even those are hard to find in cute styles. According to an online "bra size estimator" I should wear a 36H, but I've never even SEEN one that size...and I kind of have a hard time believing I'm wearing a bra that is that far off what I should be wearing, but maybe. I guess we'll see! Thanks again!