Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Jack's mom, I think it's so hard to pack just the essentials, but I'm trying to eliminate items myself. Shoes seem to be a problem. While I would LOVE to bring several dressy shoes as where else can I show them off, I have managed to narrow it down to two pair, gold sandals and black heels. I am also bringing some black wedge sandals that work for day or night. And I'm cutting out extra flip flops and sticking with one good pair that is nice enough for lunch, but can be worn poolside.

For evenings besides formal nights I bring 1 pair of dress black pants that can be worn a few times with different fun tops. I also tend to bring simple dresses as that is 1 item vs. pants/tank top/jacket combo. Also my black tank dress works for lunch/bars/dancing/and even a coverup over a swim suit.

If you haven't tried this, midweek there is a laundry special to fill a bag with small items. DH and I put in underwear, his socks, my pjs and a T shirt or 2 if it will fit. This lets us rewear it all at the end of the week. I'm not sure if you can get the special on more than 1 bag per cabin, but you can ask.

I also use the lightweight packing cubes for my foldable clothes. Then I put the whole cube as is in a drawer or on a closet shelf and pull it out when I need it. One for underwear, one for T-shirts, one for pjs, one for swim suits etc.

I know you were looking for a list, but I don't have one handy.

Thanks! that is very helpful info! I look forward to dressing up and all for our cruise!:D But, I don't want to have more stuff than I have room for!:eek:

Thanks! that is very helpful info! I look forward to dressing up and all for our cruise!:D But, I don't want to have more stuff than I have room for!:eek:

Since you are traveling after us, I will try to see if I see a problem fitting clothes for three when I am on the Oasis. I need to add my sail date to my siggy, but I am leaving on 3/26/11. Since they are the same room layouts, I will let you know how well I can fit our clothes and if there is any extra room.

I shopped too much and now have a couple of extra dresses that I think are soooo cute, but since I can't find a specific time to wear them, I will have to leave them behind. DH makes fun of me nonstop. I told him to ask the other husbands in our group on the last night, "How many clothes did your wife pack that she hasn't worn yet?" Of course he won't for real, but I assured him I may only have an extra Tshirt or pair of underwear.

I don't know if anyone on here is likely to pack a robe. But I just bought a long sleeve hoodie zippered swim coverup from Land's End. I thought it looked frumpy online. But when I tried it on it was so versatile. I can wear it as a robe on the balcony, over a swim suit to walk to the hot tub, or as a coverup on our excursions if it's windy on the catamaran.

Since you are traveling after us, I will try to see if I see a problem fitting clothes for three when I am on the Oasis. I need to add my sail date to my siggy, but I am leaving on 3/26/11. Since they are the same room layouts, I will let you know how well I can fit our clothes and if there is any extra room.

I shopped too much and now have a couple of extra dresses that I think are soooo cute, but since I can't find a specific time to wear them, I will have to leave them behind. DH makes fun of me nonstop. I told him to ask the other husbands in our group on the last night, "How many clothes did your wife pack that she hasn't worn yet?" Of course he won't for real, but I assured him I may only have an extra Tshirt or pair of underwear.

I don't know if anyone on here is likely to pack a robe. But I just bought a long sleeve hoodie zippered swim coverup from Land's End. I thought it looked frumpy online. But when I tried it on it was so versatile. I can wear it as a robe on the balcony, over a swim suit to walk to the hot tub, or as a coverup on our excursions if it's windy on the catamaran.

Wow! Can't wait to hear all about your cruise!:D Hope you have a great time!

Makeup Consultation: Very interesting...there was no mirror so I couldn't see what was being done. Since I had no makeup on, the consultant didn't know my preferences.

I did buy a foundation brush. She believes it does a better job that using fingers.

Reveal Time (Looking in the Mirror When the MakeUp Was Done) - Oh My!! WAY too much eyeliner...and sparkly eye shadow. I use eyeliner but not as dramatically and a "smoky eye" is my favorite look BUT this was over the top.:eek:

I went to the Ladies Room and removed half of it. (Remember - I was going to a funeral home and then a church dinner!)

Moral of This Story: Pick up hints from the professionals (she's been a Lancome consultant for 20 years). It was fun to have her use new products or familiar ones in a different way - but incorporate what you like and stay with what you know looks good:).

er345: I don't take a "robe" but have a Juicy Couture knee-length black terry hoodie w/ long sleeves that goes over a swim suit if it's a little cool by the pool.

Too Many New Dresses: Now, there's a problem we love to have! I buy sale items all year and if some of them don't make the packing list this time, there's always the next cruise;)! Just think, you will have something new that you might have forgotten about.

jacksmom09: Streamlined Packing - I have a friend who uses one color palate for all her packing. That way she can mix and match and pack less. I.E. - black basics and colorful tops; 2 pairs of dress shoes - black + 1 color, neutral sandals.

Edited by indiana71

One of the cosmetics the Lancome consultant suggested was a moisturizer costing $130:eek:. Does anyone use products that cost that much?

Being a fashonista implies that we take care of ourselves. While I'm the last one to say don't spend $$$ on something that makes you look and/or feel great - IMHO there are other options that work just as well. An SPF level of more than 15, and being in a pump container are things to consider, too. (Neither of which was present in the Lancome product.)

There is talk on other fashion & beauty threads about age appropriate dressing, i.e., should women over a certain age wear spaghetti strap dresses, shorts, or even Capris. What's that about:confused:!! Most of the responses are in favor of wearing what makes you feel good. My little Hungarian grandmother was 54 when she died. As a little girl, I remember her in a housedress and apron, white hair in a bun and pleasantly plump. Middle-aged women today are at the most beautiful age and can dress in anything that, to them, reflects a positive image in the mirror.:)

I like to believe we can be pleased with our look and also pleasing to the eye of others.

This photo was taken last year on Enchantment of the Seas. My dress is strapless (under the Bolero) and at age 63, I was having a great time! (jiggly arms and all)...

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3B2%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D339%3B8567%3C2335nu0mrj

Comments and opinions are welcome!

Indiana71, the look on your face in that picture says it all. You were having a fabulous time and looked great. I think we all must admit that we see someone from time to time and think to ourselves "what were they thinking" going out in public like that? But you are right, as long as we feel good about ourselves, who cares what others think.

I am probably past what most would consider the bikini age but I (and dh) think I look great in one so I am wearing them. All my dresses are either sphaghetti strap or strapless and I have worked hard for these toned arms!

I am so excited, we leave on Thursday and I am packed except for all the little last minute things we are still using. I am about to spend 12 days in the warm sun with the most wonderful dh a girl could ask for. Life is very good!

Kim

our turn: The last couple days before a cruise is when the butterflies in the belly begin, you find yourself doing a mental countdown of hours until leaving, or think "What am I forgetting??!"

But come Thursday, when you are ready to go, all will be well and you will be ready for a wonderful cruise full of happy memories:cool::).

Enjoy every minute and check in after you return home to let us know all about it!

DH is beginning to gather clothes - he tried on several pairs of shorts (something he's never done before!) and laid out 7 to take. I think talking about this thread has influenced him in a positive way;).

Edited by indiana71

Yeah, I always worry that something will happen last minute to stop us from going - crazy I know. I still have a short list of things to get done for the kids, at work and last minute packing.

I just didn't have time to post any pics before I packed but I will post some of the cruise when we get home. I can't even concentrate, my mind is already cruising.

Kim

5326jan: Shopping is serious business for a fashonista. Thanks for sharing your newly discovered site:)!

How often do you think every outfit you have chosen is perfect...but after further thought, decide on one or two outfits that are completely different??

I did that today - took off 2 shorts & tops and replaced them with choices that are much better. And bought nothing new, just "shopped" in my own wardrobe:):)!

Oh yeah, I've already done that too! I bought a set of blue velvet hangers and all the stuff that makes the cut gets put on those hangers. And yes, some things thought they were going, but then they were replaced.

I do the color scheme thing like your friend so most things are mix and match. This time my daytime clothes are all in neutrals, tan, olive green, cream etc. Think safari, with some fun prints thrown in. I have some fun scarves to add color. My nighttime wardrobe will be mostly black and champagne/gold.

I like to keep it simple...I wear this stuff all the time at home so I just have to try on my formal wear...

daytime:

all of my bathing suits and cover-up dresses

black shorts

tan shorts

a few tees and tanks

casual evenings:

a LBD or two

2 pairs of wrinkle free black pants

lots of colorful/print tops

black wrap

black shrug

a few favorite costume jewelry pieces

royalcruz: Since you have been on lots of cruises - you must be an expert packer! Looks like you have it down to a science, you keep it simple and you still look good;)!

I, on the other hand, spent the morning tweaking outfits - a couple pairs of shoes have been returned to the closet - making a total of 11 going on the 9-day adventure.

One of my formal night dresses (a brown chiffon halter dress) is now replaced w/ a LBD that the silver heels (already on the packing list) will go with.

I added a couple evening purses (an inspiration from this thread)...don't know if they will be used, but they'll be ready to hold lipstick, comb, camera.

Next Step: Ironing whatever is in need. My least favorite part of the packing process...

The task of ironing cruise clothes is almost completed:). It's safe to say the outfits I've put together will make the cut and get to go on a nice cruise:cool:.

For evening's I have a couple Bolero-style cardigans and 2 wraps for formal night. That should keep me warm in the air conditioning!

Exercise: is part of a fashonista's routine (Note: I didn't say daily routine...). I've always worked out in the evening but this morning on Good Morning America, Dr. Oz suggested exercising before breakfast, saying that way you burn fat and not calories already taken in for the day.

Well, the reason I workout at all is to keep the fat under control - so starting tomorrow, I will attempt 10-15 minutes of aerobics before breakfast:eek: - even before coffee:eek::eek:!

Do you workout? Daily? I admire the dedication, but several times a week is all I end up doing...

The task of ironing cruise clothes is almost completed:). It's safe to say the outfits I've put together will make the cut and get to go on a nice cruise:cool:.

For evening's I have a couple Bolero-style cardigans and 2 wraps for formal night. That should keep me warm in the air conditioning!

Exercise: is part of a fashonista's routine (Note: I didn't say daily routine...). I've always worked out in the evening but this morning on Good Morning America, Dr. Oz suggested exercising before breakfast, saying that way you burn fat and not calories already taken in for the day.

Well, the reason I workout at all is to keep the fat under control - so starting tomorrow, I will attempt 10-15 minutes of aerobics before breakfast:eek: - even before coffee:eek::eek:!

Do you workout? Daily? I admire the dedication, but several times a week is all I end up doing...

Vacations are the only time I workout for. I wish I did it yearly, not wait for a reason to drop 5 lbs. oh well, so the crunch started last month. Elliptical and weights, I get exercises off of Women's Health and Shape Magazine to mix in. I know I'll never be the size I was in my twenties, but it makes a lil room for wonderful dinners and extra adult beverages I don't normally have at home :)

Uri1961 - Don't you love seeing those glamorous gowns? They are so beautiful and so-o-o civilized!

I've never worn a gown for formal night. All our cruises have been on Royal Caribbean and cocktail dresses are generally what you see. Short dresses are certainly more practical but a gown is pure elegance.

lilme74 - If the incentive for working out and keeping weight down is vacations - that's a good thing! Whatever the reason, exercise is healthy and allows all those great cruise clothes to continue to zip, button or snap:cool:.

I weigh 3 pounds more than on my wedding day (almost 45 years ago)...but it wasn't always like that. During child raising years I gained 35 pounds and wasn't interested in nice clothes. Fifteen years ago, my mind set changed and so did my eating habits.

I LOVE to eat - and don't deprive myself of any favorite food...but small portions make all the difference.

The mirror might reflect a bit of a belly, cellulite thighs and arms that are a little flabby - but I'm satisfied and enjoy wearing nice clothes:).

I have found my soul sisters!

I too, plan every detail of my cruise wear! I try everything on and make a list of what I'll wear each day/night. This takes all the stress out of dressing on the cruise. no decisions to make. Also it prevents overpacking, (except maybe for shoes).

I just bought 3 dresses this week, all a nice travel knit that will work well for days and even casual nights. I prefer dresses because it's one item vs shorts plus top, and they are comfy and so versatile! Since I am a size 12/14 and too self conscious for bathing suits, I always top one off with a cute sundress. No need to remove unless I'm actually getting in water.

I'm wearing a formal long skirt with fancy top one formal night. I'm a bit worried because they are black velvet and may be out of place. But my other formal dress is a fun green satin cocktail dress ala MadMen. I confess to bringing at least 3 evening purses, 2 formal and one all purpose one. Plus I'll have a beach/ daytime carry all. Since jewelry is so compact, I bring a different set for each evening. We travel with the same group each cruise so I see the same 12 people each evening.

Thanks for a fun thread!

Sound like good choices other than the black velvet.

Assuming you're going to a tropical climate, you should dress for a tropical climate and black velvet isn't a good choice.

cruisin'tex & d'sdarling: Thanks for checking out the Caribbean Cruising Fashonista thread:cool:!

When I wrote that 1st post, I had no idea if anyone would respond. It looks like others are interested in clothes, fashion and other girly delights! Keep posting - that way we can talk about our favorite subject without other people being bored and/or rolling their eyes:).

Favorite Stores: Nordstrom is by far my favorite but I rarely get to one. Talbot's is good but some of their clothes are more appropriate for a work environment rather than cruising. And there's always Macy's. Victoria's Secret has the BEST under garments. Zappos.com is where I can find the best selection in my shoe size (5.5) & you can't beat their return policy.

I rarely order clothes online. It's so much more fun to try things on in a store!

We have an independent clothing store in our small downtown and I'm happy to find something there.

How about the rest of you? Where do you like to shop?

For Clothes

Sak's, Bloomingdales, Bergdorf's for dept stores.

Anthropology, DKNY, Ann Taylor for chain stores.

For Cosmetics

Sephora, Space NK + neighborhood specialty shops.

I just read through this entire thread, but my next cruise isn't until September, so I'm not quite to the packing stage.

Indiana, I did enjoy looking at your outfits and thought they were all very cute on you. Enjoy packing and wearing all of your outfits on your next trip.

This weekend, the Gap Give & Get program was going on where you could get 30% off in the Gap, Old Navy and Banana and 5% of what you spent went to a charity.

I found only a couple of things in the Gap, but found some cute summer/spring things in Old Navy and will definitely be taking some of them with me on my cruise. I needed summer clothes so badly because last summer my SO & I bought a house and then spent the rest of the summer painting, staining, etc. So there wasn't much time for shopping or wearing cute clothes.

Here's some of the items I purchased:

Cargo Pants - Both colors.. green & khaki

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=26192&vid=1&pid=792270

Camo Capris

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5456&vid=1&pid=809676

*Can't wait to wear these with some cute wedges!

Tshirt - I just happen to get 3 of these figure they'd be great on very hot days

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=17082&vid=1&pid=812711

Basic tanks - black & white

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=55410&vid=1&pid=810161&scid=810161022

I bought some work stuff also, but not going to post since I'm more excited about summer things than work things.

Anyway, I just felt inspired since everyone was posting their clothes. :p

Iluvmypuggle: I agree! Work clothes aren't nearly as much fun as cruisewear:cool:.

Thanks for posting your new purchases! Everything on this thread is an inspiration.

Jane110: I'm so jealous! You have great places to shop!! Ann Taylor is the only store on your list that is within driving distance and the selection of Petites is usually good. Trying on clothes is much more fun than ordering online and not as disappointing as receiving a dress, pants, etc. that don't fit.

In the "Cruise Room" -

Outfits Chart

EVERY piece of clothing on the chart - clean, ironed, etc.

Jewelry to go w/ each outfit in a little plastic zip bag & labeled by day and outfit

Purses, wristlets

Shoes - only 8 pair (+ the pair I'm wearing to the ship). This is the least ever

Cruise documents

Book, notepad, pens

Make-up, toiletries, etc. in make-up hanging thing

Clock, nightlight

Tissue paper

You get the idea...

The Packing Process:

Underwear, pajamas & swimsuits go in first. Capris are folded so the legs are together, then laid out flat. Tissue paper goes between each layer. Next are tops, laid out flat; dresses are folded w/ tissue paper on the folds. Shorts are on top. Because I wear a small size, it's easy to pack without folding.

If there's room in the big suitcase, shoes are tucked wherever they fit (again, my size 5.5s are easy to pack).

DH & I have 1 big suitcase each, his sport jackets go in a hanging bag; and what's left goes in a carry-on.

Every outfit has been tried on at least once (many, 2 or 3 times). Now, I'm SO ready to start packing:). Caribbean music is ready - the afternoon session will be accompanied by a nice glass of wine; and by evening the luggage will be ready for tags:cool:.

Next Week - is the Not So Glamorous part...cleaning the house, making sure the bills are paid, going to my hair stylist for color & cut.

TWO QUESTIONS: On the thread for our upcoming cruise, there has been talk about how far in advance of a cruise to get a haircut.

Hmmm - I always go 2 days before, but one female cruiser went last week and wasn't pleased with her new look and said she's thankful to have a couple weeks to grow some hair!

How far in advance of a cruise do you get a hair cut/color?

AND - Do you go to a salon for a Mani/Pedi or do your own?

Edited by indiana71

I always get a mani/pedi before any vacation. It's about the only time I get one. I also will get a cut. If it's just a trim, I'll go right before vacation. If it's a whole new cut, I'll go a few weeks earlier.

Indiana,it sounds like the way you pack would be a blast (caribbean music and wine). Great ideals!

I bought a great new pair of shoes today at DSW. Now if only Nov could arrive a few months early!:p

Edited by d'sdarling

Oh my gosh, I feel like I found a home! Im so obsessed with shopping and planning every detail of every outfit, its almost sick. But I still like it!:p

Im a Kohls junkie and am always using coupons, Kohls cash, etc, etc to stock up on little things I need (and stuff I dont need.)

I SO agree about the Dior mascara. Also, drugstore Maybelline Collossal works really, really well for volumizing. At least a 50% increase immediatly, no clumps and one coat. Love it!

I love reading about others fashions, finds and outfits!!!