Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

mom22tinks - Baltimore is a great port! Parking is easy, a short walk to the ship. The surrounding area is nice and SailAway under the bridge is always exciting. The best part though, of not flying is there's no concern about liquids in 3-oz bottles, overweight luggage or too many suitcases:)! As much as I love the tropical atmosphere when leaving from Florida, the cost of flying and packing concerns aren't worth it.

cardamon - I'm not wearing sandals, but still summer shoes: orange canvas wedges, peep-toe and sling-back. We hope to arrive between 11-11:30. In the past, it's been quick getting from car to terminal; no standing outside.

Hi ladies, I'm back from a glorious two week vacation (Miami and 9 days on the Celebrity Century). Best cruise ever, loved the ship, the food, the spa and all the ports.

This great thread helped me plan my outfits and accessories so that for the first time I brought home almost nothing unworn. Still think I could eliminate a couple pair or shoes but overall everything worked perfectly.

Just an observation on what I saw ladies wearing. Our 9 days on the Century was actually a 5 and a 4 day back to back. Interestingly, there was a marked difference between the two cruises. On the 5 night I saw several gowns and tuxes on formal night but hardly any on the 4 night. I wore a long, saphire blue gown with rhinestone straps the first cruise and a short gold cocktail dress for the second.

On casual nights, it was pretty much anything goes. I like dresses for dinner and that was probably the majority, but there were also some great pants, capris and skirts. I did see several younger girls in great dressy shorts with heels. We dined in the specialty restaurant Muranos on 3 nights and did see jckets offered to men who came in without them. Also saw one couple turned away. The man had on shorts and a polo shirt and the woman had on a mini skirt and halter top.

We took tons of pictures and I will post as soon as we get them sorted. I am in the process of planning a family cruise for late June. We have cruised on Holland America and Celebrity but this time we are taking our 10 year old son, 21 year old son and his wife and 18 month old baby girl. Any suggestions for which cruiseline might be the best fit for us? And obviously I will need lots of advice for dressing for a different cruiseline, lol.

Kim

our turn: Welcome Back! Thanks for coming here to post a report and observations:).

I'm happy to hear that formal night really was "formal"! Your dresses sound beautiful!

And also pleased to know that when a specialty restaurant posts a dress code, they enforce it.

It's gratifying to hear that you found inspiration on this thread. Looking forward to seeing photos:cool:.

We have only cruised on Royal Caribbean and in our 8 cruises the style has been about the same. There are always people in T-shirts w/ silly sayings; blue jeans, faded and holey. But the women (and men) who dress with class and appropriate for the climate are the ones that stand out.

Family Cruising - Oasis of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) was perfect for kids. Allure of the Seas would be, too. All cruise lines offer programs for kids & teens, but IMHO, RCI has the best. Disney would probably be great, but costs much more.

Hi all,

All bags are packed and ready to go. I hope I've planned well. I will have too much if we spend the day by the pool- won't need all the shorts and tops. But I think I did better than usual.

ourturn: thank you for your posting! It really helped reinforce my choices. I had 2 long gowns, but decided not to take them because I cannot get my husband into a tie. So this is our compromise- at least I got him on the ship, in a suit. 3 cocktail dreses wil have to do- along with sundresses. I live all summer in swimsuits and shorts.

See you at the CBar,Indiana. This has been fun! I've learned so much about outfits and packing. Hopefully, I will be back planning our girlfriends' cruise in October, 5 night cruise to Bermuda aboard the same ship- EOS.

Since my nails are short and tend to peel, I take polish with me for touch-ups. Can't do that when the salon has colors I don't have.

I know I'm coming in late on this conversation but I just wanted to post my "tip" :D. I get my mani/pedi's done at a salon. However - I get them done with gel polish instead of regular polish. The gel polish lasts so much longer. I have soft fingernails and they are short as well (short nail beds) so I grow them out a little bit and then get the gel polish. It strengthens the nail without having to have acrylics put on them so I don't break it and I also don't have to worry about peeling or chipping nail polish!

Hi Ladies.

I am sailing out at the end of June and I have loved reading all your suggestions.

I plan on going to the nines for formal night. This cruise is for our 10 year anniversary and since this is our first vacation without the kids, I'm going to live it up. My clothing choices are usually from:

http://www.bodyc.com/default.aspx

http://www.charlotterusse.com/home/index.jsp

http://www.ebay.com/

http://www.venus.com/clothing.aspx

I am all about finding stuff that is inexpensive - hubby is happy about that too.

So here is some of my wishlist (still have a month or two to try and lose this last 15 pounds, right???):

HE09502GR-M.jpg

HE09210BK-M.jpg

HE09085PP-M.jpg

Non-dressy stuff:

Capri pants -

Z7016Z7121.17NB?$ProductPage380x532$

Linen pants -

Z8892WHZ8150SA.10?$ProductPage380x532$

Cover-up / Sundress -

L201TQ.8?$ProductPage380x532$

First, and most important - WELCOME new posters!!

natibee - YES, this whole fashonista thing IS an addiction...but so much fun! ;) We're always wanting to look our best and who could complain about that???

AlycLiz - I've heard about gel nails but that's about it - definitely something to check out. Thanks for the info!

CudaGirl - Yay for you! :) Cruise ships are one place that welcome formal attire and classy dressing. I loved the black & green long dress. It would flatter any figure.

There's nothing like a cruise to give a girl incentive to lose a couple pounds;)!

The only piece of clothing that would make me hesitate are the linen pants. Linen wrinkles so easily...but it is cooler than some other fabric choices.

cardamon - I'm pleased that we were able to help w/ the packing. Can't wait till Saturday:cool::cool:!

CudaGirl - Yay for you! :) Cruise ships are one place that welcome formal attire and classy dressing. I loved the black & green long dress. It would flatter any figure.

There's nothing like a cruise to give a girl incentive to lose a couple pounds;)!

The only piece of clothing that would make me hesitate are the linen pants. Linen wrinkles so easily...but it is cooler than some other fabric choices.

Yes - thank you for the reminder about the wrinkles. I have to remember to add a wrinkle releasing spray to my packing list. I know it will wrinkle, but I really want to bring some pants and since we will be in the Caribbean I need something light. That was all I could think of that would work.

Hi all,

All bags are packed and ready to go. I hope I've planned well. I will have too much if we spend the day by the pool- won't need all the shorts and tops. But I think I did better than usual.

ourturn: thank you for your posting! It really helped reinforce my choices. I had 2 long gowns, but decided not to take them because I cannot get my husband into a tie. So this is our compromise- at least I got him on the ship, in a suit. 3 cocktail dreses wil have to do- along with sundresses. I live all summer in swimsuits and shorts.

See you at the CBar,Indiana. This has been fun! I've learned so much about outfits and packing. Hopefully, I will be back planning our girlfriends' cruise in October, 5 night cruise to Bermuda aboard the same ship- EOS.

Have a great trip!

Luggage Scale Info - My DIL gave us a luggage scale for Christmas. Since we aren't flying, weight isn't an issue, but we weighed each piece anyway. The 2 large suitcases are 49.1 (mine) and 44.3 (DHs), garment bag 11.6, backpack 8.8 and my purse/beachbag 5.5 - for a total of 119.3 pounds. Since we've never had a luggage scale before, I don't know how that compares to previous trips.

The Balanzza Digital Luggage Scale has a capacity of 100 pounds, is easy to use, lightweight and small enough to pack. Google it for more info.

Packing Done BUT not without a Couple Changes! Okay, so after my hair appt yesterday, I stopped at the boutique in town...tried on a dress that the proprietor picked out. It was tan & black, sleeveless, silky, easy to pack; but not really a "must have". Then...she showed me a long, loose-weave cardigan in a tan, black and peach design with a long tan tank to go underneath. THAT combination would be perfect for the 2nd day when we are not very far south. I could wear it with black leggings and those new Laura Ashley wedges...Sold! Now what:eek: - I was totally packed.

Never fear, there's always room for One More Outfit;). Especially one that will be a bit warmer and still fit in to my tropical color-theme.

I revised my Outfits Chart, putting the original 2nd day clothes as an extra outfit on one of the cruising days.

PLEASE CONTINUE to POST while I am cruising! Upon returning home, I will report on the good taste of fellow passengers, post some pix and start thinking about The Next Cruise:cool:! All suggestions and tips are appreciated.

This has been one of the most fun reads on the fashion board! I have so enjoyed all the postings, comments, and especially the pictures. You all have made me laugh with pleasure. And you've given such wonderful websites and tips! Thank you all!:D

indiana71: have FUN. I'm so interested in seeing your pictures from your cruise. (and your outfits). Love your thoughts and you made me laugh with your recent purchase. It's always FUN to go clothes shopping after a hair stylist appointment. Who can't use an additional sea-day outfit? LOL.

Edited by Member123

One of the cosmetics the Lancome consultant suggested was a moisturizer costing $130:eek:. Does anyone use products that cost that much?

Being a fashonista implies that we take care of ourselves. While I'm the last one to say don't spend $$$ on something that makes you look and/or feel great - IMHO there are other options that work just as well. An SPF level of more than 15, and being in a pump container are things to consider, too. (Neither of which was present in the Lancome product.)

There is talk on other fashion & beauty threads about age appropriate dressing, i.e., should women over a certain age wear spaghetti strap dresses, shorts, or even Capris. What's that about:confused:!! Most of the responses are in favor of wearing what makes you feel good. My little Hungarian grandmother was 54 when she died. As a little girl, I remember her in a housedress and apron, white hair in a bun and pleasantly plump. Middle-aged women today are at the most beautiful age and can dress in anything that, to them, reflects a positive image in the mirror.:)

I like to believe we can be pleased with our look and also pleasing to the eye of others.

This photo was taken last year on Enchantment of the Seas. My dress is strapless (under the Bolero) and at age 63, I was having a great time! (jiggly arms and all)...

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3B2%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D339%3B8567%3C2335nu0mrj

Comments and opinions are welcome!

Love this picture and your post! Live and enjoy life is what I say. Have a great vacation.

I just love this thread. Thanks Ladies! The links are great. My cruise isn't until June but I've already been planning and plotting. And of course, dieting so I can fit into my wonderful clothes. I hope you all have a great time on your cruises :D

I just love this thread. Thanks Ladies! The links are great. My cruise isn't until June but I've already been planning and plotting. And of course, dieting so I can fit into my wonderful clothes. I hope you all have a great time on your cruises :D

My cruise is coming up in Sept.. I've been shopping, planning and plotting also. And I joined WW Online.. We're in the same boat. :p

Although I always shop a lot for cruises because I buy my "summer wardrobe" with cruising in mind.

I have all of my clothes in my spare bedroom sorted by outfit. I also love shoes, so it is very hard for me to downsize that portion of my wardrobe. I usually end up bringing 2 flip flops (bronze and black), 3 sandals (brown, black, white), and 2 wedges (black and white).

These are just the outfits I've put together so far (no pics, sorry). We are going to be traveling for 10 days total including our 7-day cruise, so I have a few more outfits to pick out.

Black sateen cuffed shorts + silk sleeveless multi-color U-neck top + black wedges (or purple/black sequin sleeveless top)

White sateen cuffed shorts + red one-shoulder top + white wedges (or yellow lace tank)

Dark rinse denim shorts (dressier) + fuschia sleeveless top + black wedges (or draped teal sleeveless top)

Fuschia ruffle tiered skirt + strapless black top + black wedges or sandals

Purple twirly-style skirt + lilac tank + black or silver sandals

Blue twirly-style skirt + white lace tank + white sandals

Sounds like a great cruise vacation wardrobe! And do I gather you live in "Greenbrier Land" where you can shop the discount shoe racks at Yarid's and the "closeout store from the Greenbrier" in White Sulphur Springs?!

Once I scored bargains at Yarid's, it became more of a challenge to shop for shoes on ebay!!!

Hi! I am really trying to get motivated to begin pre packing this weekend! Just wondering what a good "basic" packing list would be for me, dh and ds(13)!:confused: we will all 3 be in a balcony stateroom that I have heard has limited closet/storage space!:eek: I would love to hear what your short, but sweet list is????;)

I told you I'd get back to you on the closet situation. We had plenty of room for the two of us. I think with careful planning you can accommodate 3. I assume your son won't have that much to pack, mostly shorts, swim trunks and T shirts plus some dinner wear. Encourage him to have just a couple of slacks if you're eating in the MDR and just wear them a few times. DH got by with just 2 pair of khaki pants for the 5 non formal nights. And I noticed most men wearing short sleeve shirts (button down or polo style) on non formal nights.

OK, so back to the closet: There are six shelves on one side all about 16" wide. The top one is short, so good for shoes. I slid my packing cubes right into 3 of these. The bottom ones are extra high so you could stack packing cubes. Plenty of room for T shirts, pjs etc. There is a high shelf across the hanging section and I fit 5 pairs of my shoes across there. I put DH's shoes in the bottom. There is a double rod, so hanging space on top and bottom. Ton of hangers! I had my stuff mostly on my own velvet hangers, so I put the wood ones on the bottom to clear some room. Or you could leave the hangers at home and save luggage space. The only bad part is the lower rod goes almost all the way across leaving only about 12" of hanging space for long items. Since I packed so many dresses, this was a bit tight for me. I know others have complained about getting into the closet, but I found the space manageable.

There are 3 drawers in the vanity. The top one is shallow and holds the hair dryer. I also stored my costume jewelry bags in there. I don't bother with the safe as I don't have truly expensive stuff. There are two deeper drawers. I put DH's swim trunks in one and we didn't even use the other one. There are 2 narrow cabinets, top and bottom at the vanity for sunscreen. lotions, makeup, etc. The bathroom has 3 hooks on the back of the door plus two high wall hooks near the sink. We easily hung our toiletry bags here. There are 2 hooks in the shower for a loofah or such, plus a corner caddy for shampoos etc. We didn't need all the space, but there are cute small shelves in the bathroom for all your toiletry needs.

I had packed my over the door shoe storage bag and didn't even need it. We did have two Royal Caribbean robes waiting for us in the closet. These were bulky and took up too much room. I stuffed them in the bottom, but should have just asked for them to be removed.

I noticed our room had a rectangle in the ceiling which I assume was one of the pull down beds. I wish I could have seen it down. This looks like a better option than opening up the sofa bed.

And since I'm discussing the room here, even though it's a fashion thread, I wanted to say I liked the bed near the closet layout. I know so many want the other, but I liked having floor space near the balcony.

I'll report back later on my actual fashion items.

I told you I'd get back to you on the closet situation. We had plenty of room for the two of us. I think with careful planning you can accommodate 3. I assume your son won't have that much to pack, mostly shorts, swim trunks and T shirts plus some dinner wear. Encourage him to have just a couple of slacks if you're eating in the MDR and just wear them a few times. DH got by with just 2 pair of khaki pants for the 5 non formal nights. And I noticed most men wearing short sleeve shirts (button down or polo style) on non formal nights.

OK, so back to the closet: There are six shelves on one side all about 16" wide. The top one is short, so good for shoes. I slid my packing cubes right into 3 of these. The bottom ones are extra high so you could stack packing cubes. Plenty of room for T shirts, pjs etc. There is a high shelf across the hanging section and I fit 5 pairs of my shoes across there. I put DH's shoes in the bottom. There is a double rod, so hanging space on top and bottom. Ton of hangers! I had my stuff mostly on my own velvet hangers, so I put the wood ones on the bottom to clear some room. Or you could leave the hangers at home and save luggage space. The only bad part is the lower rod goes almost all the way across leaving only about 12" of hanging space for long items. Since I packed so many dresses, this was a bit tight for me. I know others have complained about getting into the closet, but I found the space manageable.

There are 3 drawers in the vanity. The top one is shallow and holds the hair dryer. I also stored my costume jewelry bags in there. I don't bother with the safe as I don't have truly expensive stuff. There are two deeper drawers. I put DH's swim trunks in one and we didn't even use the other one. There are 2 narrow cabinets, top and bottom at the vanity for sunscreen. lotions, makeup, etc. The bathroom has 3 hooks on the back of the door plus two high wall hooks near the sink. We easily hung our toiletry bags here. There are 2 hooks in the shower for a loofah or such, plus a corner caddy for shampoos etc. We didn't need all the space, but there are cute small shelves in the bathroom for all your toiletry needs.

I had packed my over the door shoe storage bag and didn't even need it. We did have two Royal Caribbean robes waiting for us in the closet. These were bulky and took up too much room. I stuffed them in the bottom, but should have just asked for them to be removed.

I noticed our room had a rectangle in the ceiling which I assume was one of the pull down beds. I wish I could have seen it down. This looks like a better option than opening up the sofa bed.

And since I'm discussing the room here, even though it's a fashion thread, I wanted to say I liked the bed near the closet layout. I know so many want the other, but I liked having floor space near the balcony.

I'll report back later on my actual fashion items.

Thanks! This has been a great help for my planning! :D I am pre-packing this weekend! Can't wait to hear more!

Just returned from a marvelous 9-day cruise and thought I would offer a few "fashion" observations. Can someone please tell me why a ballcap is a staple on so many men ? I don't mean on excursions or on the pool deck but in the theater, the upscale restaurant, lectures, and other events. Not necessarily nice caps but tattered and ragged caps. Do some men purposely pack their worst and suggestive t-shirts ? Is anything more puzzling than a nicely dressed women strolling with a guy wearing a faded ballcap and a t-shirt once used during the painting of the house ? Really ?

WHAT A FANTASTIC CRUISE:cool:! Nine days of gorgeous weather and the ports were awesome...but that's for another thread.

Now that the laundry is done and clothes are back in the "cruise room", it's time to get back to reading the threads. I LOVE reading all of the posts here:)!

er345 - Thank you for the detailed description of storage in your stateroom. That will help lots of fashonistas!

Our stateroom was like yours (except no pull-down bed). I took several padded hangers, too. And the cheap plastic hangers from stores - the ones for skirts or pants that hook over a regular hanger. They're good for putting an outfit together - top on the regular, skirt/pants on the one that hooks over.

We used all the drawer space. I, too, put jewelry in the top drawer w/ the hair dryer. The safe is used for passports, cell phone, cash, etc.

The built-in shelves in the shower were great for shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. DH used the shampoo dispenser.

We had plenty of space. Too bad our 2 big suitcases didn't fit under the bed. We had to crawl around them to get in to bed, but no big deal. (One of the suitcases was used as a hamper.)

MY OBSERVATIONS AND CRITIQUES OF ONBOARD FASHIONS: For the most part, cruisers were dressed in fashonista-approved attire. Many of the flip-flops aka thongs were not of the rubber variety. Some were silver or leather with decorative flowers on them.

One night in the theater a man came in wearing jeans, a flannel shirt and ball cap. (DH & I counted the # of ball caps each night. It's a pet peeve we share. Why do guys wear ball caps???)

On formal nights, about 20 percent of the men were in tuxes, a very few were dressed casually, the majority had sport coats and ties. Many of the women wore LBDs, some had gowns. Only a handful of females were dressed casually (Capris).

COMPLAINT: Let me start by saying Enchantment of the Seas is NOT new, therefore, not as many ammenities...

The bathroom lighting leaves much to be desired :confused: if you want to see clearly while applying makeup. I did take a suction-cup magnifying mirror that helped.

After uploading the pix, I will post any that are appropriate for this thread.

Meanwhile - we're counting the days till we cruise to Bermuda:).

PACKING NOTES FOR NEXT CRUISE - Don't bother taking a lipstick brush...takes too much time.

Two swimsuits + two cover-ups are enough.

Welcome home, you were missed! So glad you had a wonderful cruise and can't wait for pictures. I am so behind at work, I still have not posted mine.

Yeah, the ball cap thing gets me, too. DH only wears them in port.