New Englander in search of lobster on the Epic

shmoopea

OMG! YOU traumatized me with that post! :eek: I'm just so happy I really only eat shrimp and scallops....:D

When I was a teenager I worked as a dishwasher in the same kitchen my father worked in as one of the cooks. I used to watch him prepare them this way (and the traditional boiling pot method), except they went under the broiler. Now I'm all hungry again:o.

....I can eat meat/fish/seafood and poultry AS LONG AS I don't see it alive first.

It kinda kills my appetite....:eek:

My friend from Louisiana (a member here at CC) was here over Labor day, took the lobsters, shoved a sharp knife in their heads and proceded to slice them in half to put on the grill. :eek:

I nearly threw up. She had them layed out on the platter all cut in half, buttered, seasoned and ready to go on the grill and they were still moving.

That reminded me of the first time I ever saw eels being cooked -- chopped into pieces and jumping around in the frying pan. I've never seen any reason to try eating them.

I do eat lobster (the Maine variety), but I've never killed/cooked them myself.

Tossing a live animal in a pot of boiling water is something even after 11 years of being here, that I just can NOT do yet....

You have to put them to sleep first. Turn lobster on its back while still holding their tail and gently rub the belly. They fall asleep (their claws and legs stop moving). Lift from counter and quickly put it head first into the water. They allegedly do not feel a thing. Seriously!

I ordered the lobster in Manhatten restaurant back in October. I was pleasantly surprised how tender and delicious the the tail came out. I usually find the Caribbean lobster mostly "misses" on cruise ships but on that particular evening it was a hit.

coka

just my two cents but warm water lobsters are more akin to large shrimp.if youre in massachusetts and dont mind a ride go to www.nordiclodge.com for a lobster fix like no other.

Thanks for the tip! We're from SE MA and will def. be taking your suggestion. I know the lobster on the ship won't be as good as what we get here. But, there's something magical about eating lobster on a ship....

You have to put them to sleep first. Turn lobster on its back while still holding their tail and gently rub the belly. They fall asleep (their claws and legs stop moving). Lift from counter and quickly put it head first into the water. They allegedly do not feel a thing. Seriously!

I ordered the lobster in Manhatten restaurant back in October. I was pleasantly surprised how tender and delicious the the tail came out. I usually find the Caribbean lobster mostly "misses" on cruise ships but on that particular evening it was a hit.

coka

Thanks for that info...I still don't think I could do it.

I know that's hypocritical because I eat them...but I just can't be the one to kill them. I wish I could!! Maybe one day I'll just put my mind to doing it and eventually I'll 'harden' to the idea.

I can't even kill a spider. I'm one of those crackpots that picks them up with a tissue and puts them outside. :rolleyes:

Just off 2 wks on Epic. Lobster is offered in Manhattan Rm and Taste on Tues. nights whether Eastern or Western itin. However, they now have a fourteen day rotating menu so the lobster dish is different depending on your wk. Great for B2B guests who now have 2 wks worth of different menus! (They've also rolled out a daily regional specialty):D

On the Eastern itin, I had the lobster & snapper plate. You can ask for additional tails as well.

For the next wk, DH and I enjoyed the "seafood extravaganza" plate which had a lobster tail, pc. of fish, mussels, shrimp, scallops served over pasta. I was very good and served piping hot.

You can also get lobster in some of the specialty restaurants. They no longer offer the live Maine lobsters in Cagney's but still have the lobster tails (or surf & turf). I've found a new favorite though - King Crab legs...huge & delicious! There is an extra charge for this one.

I also ordered the "Lobster Beurre" in Le Bistro after watching Chef Eric Cousins prepare and talk about it on the TV channel. It was very very good! (Also has an extra charge).

Just off 2 wks on Epic. Lobster is offered in Manhattan Rm and Taste on Tues. nights whether Eastern or Western itin. However' date=' they now have a fourteen day rotating menu so the lobster dish is different depending on your wk. Great for B2B guests who now have 2 wks worth of different menus! (They've also rolled out a daily regional specialty):D

On the Eastern itin, I had the lobster & snapper plate. You can ask for additional tails as well.

For the next wk, DH and I enjoyed the "seafood extravaganza" plate which had a lobster tail, pc. of fish, mussels, shrimp, scallops served over pasta. I was very good and served piping hot.

You can also get lobster in some of the specialty restaurants. They no longer offer the live Maine lobsters in Cagney's but still have the lobster tails (or surf & turf). I've found a new favorite though - King Crab legs...huge & delicious! There is an extra charge for this one.

I also ordered the "Lobster Beurre" in Le Bistro after watching Chef Eric Cousins prepare and talk about it on the TV channel. It was very very good! (Also has an extra charge).[/quote']

Welcome back Barb! OMG...I love king crab legs more than I do lobster...and I enjoyed those too the last night of my Epic trip in Cagneys. I too had the lobster beurre after watching Chef Eric prepare it and...it was divine!

coka

]Does anyone know when lobster night is on the Epic and where. >>

If you're from NE there is NO fresh lobster night on any ship. :eek:

Now, if you're cruising the Boston/NY to Canada route you can get great real lobster off ship in Boston/Maine/Canada.

Otherwise, don't bother. Believe me.

Cat

Welcome back Barb! OMG...I love king crab legs more than I do lobster...and I enjoyed those too the last night of my Epic trip in Cagneys. I too had the lobster beurre after watching Chef Eric prepare it and...it was divine!

coka

Hi Coka,

I have a postcard for you - actually looks more like a photo - hope it goes with the rest of your collection! The pic of the Epic though isn't very large.

BTW, and I don't want to get off topic, the solo cabin idea has really evolved and they're doing some wonderful social hours in there, group dinners, 2 for 1 drinks, etc.

So many things on Epic improved and smoother....loved it!

Back to lobster, the Exec. Chef from Austria recommended I try the Fruit de Mers in Le Bistro but I had already ordered the lobster beurre. It was so large I had to give one of the tails to my "date" who had ordered the filet. So he ended up with a great surf & turf and I enjoyed the lobster.

Those king crab legs are huge!!!

Archived