passport or birth certificate??

melkteach

From the NCL website:

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you need a valid passport OR proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo) or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, original certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

Planning to sail the Norwegian Spirit from New Orleans on May 22, visiting Belize, Roatan, Cozumel and Costa Maya. I'm sure a passport would be best, but has anyone had any experience with using birth certificates? My husband and I have passports, but our three children 22, 19 and 11 do not. Just trying to save a few dollars, but don't want to risk it if it's not a good idea.

Any input would be appreciated. THANKS!!

If you watch the news you will see that the world is a crazy place. Anything can happen at any time and travel restrictions can be put in place in an instant.

Get the passports.

Hope you have a great time.

I would get the passports for sure. They are good for 10 yrs (possibly less for the 11 y.o.) and I'd hope the older kids will want to use them again anyway. You don't want to get stuck in a foreign country without a passport, and it's very possible you could be (medical issue, missing the ship due to traffic, ect)

She's 91 and refuses to spend all that money for a passport. I did talk her into the Passport card however. So we'll have the card, the birth certificate, her expired passport, and her driver's license.

It's for the Mexican Riviera, so no problems. I was worried about the birth cert having her maiden name and her DL having her complete name, but now with the Passport Card we're ok. It saved her $70, which she wants to spend in the slots!

I say get the card. If (heaven forbid) it is lost at least it has their picture on it...harder for identity theft. If the birth cert is lost it's easy prey for identity theft. Plus the card is water proof, you'd have to worry about trying to make the birth cert water proof.

Now...if you can afford to get the book, too, go for it. The service charge is the same no matter what, but the processing fee is higher.

From the NCL website:

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you need a valid passport OR proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo) or any other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include: an original or state certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, original certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

Planning to sail the Norwegian Spirit from New Orleans on May 22, visiting Belize, Roatan, Cozumel and Costa Maya. I'm sure a passport would be best, but has anyone had any experience with using birth certificates? My husband and I have passports, but our three children 22, 19 and 11 do not. Just trying to save a few dollars, but don't want to risk it if it's not a good idea.

Any input would be appreciated. THANKS!!

The only risk with not having a passport is that you'll need one if you have to take an international flight. So, if for some reason you have to fly home in mid cruise due to illness, some family emergency or for some other reason, you won't be able to get on a flight with just the birth certificate and photo ID. You would have to go to the US consulate in the country you're in and apply for an emergency passport...but it may take some time for it to be issued.

I say get the card. If (heaven forbid) it is lost at least it has their picture on it...harder for identity theft. If the birth cert is lost it's easy prey for identity theft. Plus the card is water proof, you'd have to worry about trying to make the birth cert water proof.

Now...if you can afford to get the book, too, go for it. The service charge is the same no matter what, but the processing fee is higher.

The card is a waste of money for a cruiser. The most likely reason you'll need a passport is for international air travel...to get you home mid cruise in an emergency, and the card is useless for that purpose. You need the passport book to take an international flight.

It's next to impossible to lose your birth certificate on a cruise. After you check in at the pier you should just lock it in your room safe, where it should stay until disembarkation at the end of the cruise. There is no need to take the birth certificate ashore in any port.

If you watch the news you will see that the world is a crazy place. Anything can happen at any time and travel restrictions can be put in place in an instant.

Get the passports.

Hope you have a great time.

This is a totally unfounded fear. The current passport regulations were the result of the 9/11/01 terrorist attacks, but took years to be put into place. Laws are not amended nor regulations revised in an instant.

I used to work for the State Dept. assisting Americans in distress abroad. I strongly recommend getting passports for everyone. Chances are you will have a fantastic vacation and won't need them, but in the case of emergency they are invaluable. A passport card is NOT the same as a passport. To get an emergency passport issued abroad you need to prove both your citizenship and identity, which is more difficult if you've never actually had a passport. Once you've had one, this process becomes much easier. And I carry my DL with me when I travel, but leave my passport in the hotel/ship safe and just carry a photocopy around with me. If I have an emergency someone will be able to access the safe for me and get the real document out. This way I don't risk loss or theft.

Archived