Inspiration Review (with pics) to Grand Cayman and Cozumel

ohitssunshine

Enjoying your review. Keep it coming.

We will hopefully be going on the May 2 sailing. Will pay for it in March.

Can you describe the buffets? How was the food? Did you try Serenity?

I have been on the Imagination and I forgot the layout. Is there a bar back in the Serenity area?

We all had the melting chocolate cake for dessert and let me tell you...we learned it has AT LEAST 4,000 calories for each serving. Yes....4,000.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Holy cow who told you that? I figured about 1,000, but 4,000? GHEEZ! I guess that's why it's so yummy! Great review so far. :)

We were told the day prior to be in line at the tender dock by 2 pm, as the last of the tenders would be running. Well, here is the line at 1:30.

Great review! After anchor dropped at 8 am, when were the first people able to get off the ship? You mentioned waiting because you didn't have anything planned, so maybe won't know the answer to that question.

Also, What time were you guys scheduled to depart from the Caymans? I'm just curious, as we are scheduled to leave at 4 and I wasn't sure if we would also have the 2 pm time.

Enjoying your review. Keep it coming.

We will hopefully be going on the May 2 sailing. Will pay for it in March.

Can you describe the buffets? How was the food? Did you try Serenity?

I have been on the Imagination and I forgot the layout. Is there a bar back in the Serenity area?

The buffets were the same as all the others. On the outside lido they will always have cheesburgers, hot dogs, chicken fingers and fries along with a couple small salad choices. On the other side of that buffet it would change, usually the mongolion. Inside it would change daily, and was like italian one day, then french, etc. I have to say I was not too impressed with it and usually relish any food I am not cooking or cleaning up after. This time I ate mostly the salad bar and sandwiches from the deli.

Serenity- we only went out there once and just to check it out. You can access it from the back of the buffet seating area or from the comedy club area. I do not recall seeing a bar there. There were 2 hot tubs and plenty of empty seats on the windy chilly day we popped out there. Oh actually I believe there is the bar all the way to the back of the buffet area where the doors to access Serenity are, so yes, technically the bar is right behind it but inside. Hope that helps!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Holy cow who told you that? I figured about 1,000, but 4,000? GHEEZ! I guess that's why it's so yummy! Great review so far. :)

We went to the Shipology 411 on the last sea day. We could ask any questions of the CD, Captain and 3 other officers heading food, hotel and something else that is escaping me right now. A passenger asked how many calories does an average passenger consume on a cruise. He answered welll.....did you have the chocolate melting cake? (My husband had his, more than half of mine, and almost all of my daughters) and he said well that is at LEAST 4,000 NOT INCLUDING THE ICE CREAM! Holy crap!

Great review! After anchor dropped at 8 am, when were the first people able to get off the ship? You mentioned waiting because you didn't have anything planned, so maybe won't know the answer to that question.

Also, What time were you guys scheduled to depart from the Caymans? I'm just curious, as we are scheduled to leave at 4 and I wasn't sure if we would also have the 2 pm time.

We were up on lido eating, but I can tell you when we were in line there were the 2 little flights of stairs full of passengers at about 8:45 and they were still bringing other passengers from one of the meeting areas to get off first also. If you have an early excursion they have you meet in one of the rooms to ensure you are ready to go quick.

That being said, there were people behind us in line with 10am excursions and they made them wait with the masses...only those with very early ones could go.

We were scheduled to leave at 3 pm. With the tendering process they said to be at the tender dock at 2, which was also the time the LAST tender was supposed to run. They were packing the boats full and we made it back about 2:30 or so. From what I heard throughout the line it was never like that before and no one could figure out why everyone was backed up like that.

One side note I forgot-

We did ride the tender back to the ship and dropped the kids off and all that. Well, this was about 12. We went back to the gangway and were told we needed to go all the way to the other end as they had a tender ready there but not where we were. No problem...we book it down there.

Once there they tell us they need to bring off the passengers from the docked tender first...of course...makes sense. So the 2 of us were joined by 5 or 6 more passengers waiting to get back to the island while they unloaded a double decker tender. The security was a mess. They had to tell every passenger to take off all purses, bags, etc and even their shoes - but they didn't tell them until they are at the belt. So no one is moving...these people are trying to untangle 10 bags of stuff, their cameras, blah blah blah. Well then they would proceed to the walkthrough where they would set off the alarm. I am not kidding, 80% of the passengers on this cruise were seniors and 90% of that 80% had artificial joints somewhere in their body. All the spouses are assuring security "its just his hip, its just his knee!". Needless to say we weren't even on the tender until 12:45.

I know it is a necessity but I think it could have and should have been handled more efficiently. Even having one more security guard working the line before their approach to have them disrobing all their items would have sped it up tremendously.

Funny note here- we had a Carnival employee getting on the tender with us and he asked..."What time do we have to be back?" I laughed and said don't you work here? He said yah but I usually just do laundry on Grand Cayman day...

Also while we were in Margaritaville we met 2 men who were working on the boat repairing the elevators. They said they had been working on the ship for 4 weeks and they were finally done after this cruise. The one lives in Sweden and holds an apartment in Ft. Lauderdale. I guess elevator repair pays well?

He said he goes from ship to ship as needed and will work a month here and there taking 2 weeks off in between. He said of all the cruise lines Carnival is the lowest class he's worked and they spend on average a total of $20 per day on each guest aboard. Interesting...

(What was more interesting is that the last sea day there was a strong grease smell throughout the elevator areas and we soon found him working on one and it was kept out of order. I wonder if he really got his vacation or if he's still there...)

Day 4: Cozumel

Our CD told us last night that when we were sailing into Cozumel we would be going down the coastline and would be seeing one of the biggest ships in the world...the Oasis of the Seas. She made an announcement at 10 am to let everyone know to get to the deck to check it out. We first passed the Norwegian Epic, and then saw the Oasis of the Seas docked next to the Carnival Elation.

IMG_3435.jpg

I cannot believe how much it dwarfed our Carnival ships! And they were actually about right next to each other!

IMG_3437.jpg

(I apologize...the morning was overcast and I left my DSLR in the safe and opted to bring my hubby's point and shoot to the sand covered island!)

IMG_3442.jpg

This didn't look good! :eek: But all was good, just the angle of the smoke making it appear the ship was going up! Or down!

Getting closer:

IMG_3456.jpg

We were scheduled to be in Cozumel from 11 until 8.

Todays debarkation went much more smoothly than yesterdays. We were off the ship in no time at all.

We booked Nachi Cocum again this year after falling in love last year. The kids have been talking about it since we left a year ago and this was the highlight of the cruise for them.

http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/CozumelBeachBreak.htm

Adults are $49

12-17 are $35

11-4 are $17

Under 4 are free.

Your day includes a 3 course lunch, all drinks (alcoholic and non) and there is a nice white sandy beach, chairs, hammocks, pool and hot tub. The pool and hot tub both have a swim up bar.

We were assigned Carlos as our waiter, the same we had the year before - he did great both years. This time there was maybe 30 people there total. We hit the hot tub right away while the kids splashed around in the pool. The kids think it is so great they can order all the fancy drinks without alcohol so we asked them to recommend different ones for the kids. My 15 year old now swears by a Miami Vice...not sure if that is good or bad!

The kids ate at one point and we ate at another...they had no problem splitting things up like that.

When we did eat we had chicken tacos, fries and mozzarella sticks. The mozz sticks are not like american mozz sticks...they have a different cheese and in the sun they turn into something I cannot describe! The chicken tacos were amazingly delicious. The kids said the cheesecake was to die for, but us adults waited on it, and then left without remembering to actually get it!

I had decided on Nachi and my sister in law wants to do an different excursion. I am thinking we may have to just split up. I just don't want to pass up Nachi!

I would bid her farewell and meet up with her after! I know my opinion is biased because we haven't even tried any other resort on the island, but I have no need to. The price is right, and the atmosphere is wonderful.

Actually, it's more like 1,000 calories...diet food!

Where did you hear 4,000 calories?

We went to the Shipology 411 on the last sea day. We could ask any questions of the CD, Captain and 3 other officers heading food, hotel and something else that is escaping me right now. A passenger asked how many calories does an average passenger consume on a cruise. He answered welll.....did you have the chocolate melting cake? (My husband had his, more than half of mine, and almost all of my daughters) and he said well that is at LEAST 4,000 NOT INCLUDING THE ICE CREAM! Holy crap!

We made our way through all of the shops and found the taxi's. Everyone we encountered was really friendly and also helpful. We paid $32 for a van to drive 7 of us to Nachi Cocum. We could have paid $15 for a car and split in 2 cars, but we decided to stay together.

Our van was air conditioned and very clean. Our driver almost ran over a couple on a moped...there was oncoming traffic the one way and the moped was driving in the road at probably a quarter of the speed we were. I swear our front bumper touched the moped but finally the traffic broke and he passed them. I thought...that's why they tell you not to rent those things! Other than that the ride was uneventful!

I'm in a taaaaaxi....I'm in Meeeexico...I think that is the dance he was doing

IMG_3497.jpg

My daughter is obsessed with Seals, and this is her Seal, named appropriately Seal Icicle. The seal has its own youtube account...it makes videos. I was really hoping seal would stay on the ship today, but no.

IMG_3498.jpg

What is this...

IMG_3501.jpg

Yay!

I have no idea what this says, but we're headed in

IMG_3502.jpg

Our driver was very cordial and provided a step to get out, and helped as needed. I offered my son in lieu of the payment and he laughed and said "maybe discount".

Upon entering the resort they suit you up with sombrero's and take a group photo. Later in the day when you are good and liquored up they approach you to sell you the photo- its about a 5x8, something awkward and you can get one for $12 or 2 for $20. We purchased 2.

nachicocum.jpg

I already talked about food and drinks...they are just great people. They seem to really enjoy doing what they do. The bartender was great both trips making suggestions and mixing crazy drinks. We also had some bottles of water in between.

Oh, and here is where I met DickWI and his lovely family. What a great dad/grandfather to bring his wife, kids and grandkids. Good kids, and my son and his grandkids played for some time.

Some pics of the area:

IMG_3509.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

Really? I think he meant 4,000 for the WHOLE DAY? Or 4000 calories for husband's, half of yours, and daughter's combined? Because I had the Melting Cake on the Valor in Aug, it wasn't that huge. It was like a bomb, filling-wise, though! I also make WCMC at home, using the Carnival recipe, and when I calculated nutrition, it came out to be about 1100 calories.

The Dune Buggy excursion thru IM. It looks ok, free drinks and food, but I would rather sit in the pool or lay all day by the beach. Too much work getting in and out of a Dune Buggy ;) I AM on vacation!

I see...that does sound fun, but like you said it also sounds like work! I am not the adventurous kind at all. Give me a lounge chair and a drink anytime!

Really? I think he meant 4,000 for the WHOLE DAY? Or 4000 calories for husband's, half of yours, and daughter's combined? Because I had the Melting Cake on the Valor in Aug, it wasn't that huge. It was like a bomb, filling-wise, though! I also make WCMC at home, using the Carnival recipe, and when I calculated nutrition, it came out to be about 1100 calories.

I'm sorry, that was confusing. I was just mentioning as a side note that my husband ate that much. (When he heard the 4,000 each I think he almost exploded) He was just answering one persons question. Weird that you were able to find out its 1100, I wonder why he would say it was 4,000? He didn't even really laugh about it like it was a joke, he answered it pretty matter of factly! I wonder now?

It was like...

"How many calories do you think one passenger consumes on a typical cruise"

He said

"Well did you all enjoy the melting cake in the dining room?"

Lots of people say yes... and he says

"Well the cake alone is at least 4,000 not including the ice cream"

To which everyone in the room moaned and almost threw up.

:eek:

Ok, I'm a sucker for the beach so here's a couple more

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

Was it a good day?

IMG_3563.jpg

2 thumbs up! Or 3...or 4

IMG_3561.jpg

Annnd we are back in the taxi...(which they call for you whenever you are ready)

IMG_3565.jpg

Here is where my sister in law thinks maybe the last shot wasn't as good an idea as she thought.

Archived