Beaches in Caribbean

We are shortly on the Caribbean experience cruise on Feb 24th. We just wondered if any of the beaches are close to the ports or do you normally have to get taxis if you don't fancy the Thomson excursions? I know it will be very expensive to do excursions every day and it would be nice just to go to the beach. Thank you for all the helpful advice from everyone on here!:)

We are shortly on the Caribbean experience cruise on Feb 24th. We just wondered if any of the beaches are close to the ports or do you normally have to get taxis if you don't fancy the Thomson excursions? I know it will be very expensive to do excursions every day and it would be nice just to go to the beach. Thank you for all the helpful advice from everyone on here!:)

I think that's the itinerary we did. if so;

Grenada: Grand Anse Beach 4$ each way water taxi from pier adjacent to port (free beach but charges for loungers/umbrellas) LOVELY beach

Curacao: you'd have to get a taxi here to a beach I think - none next to port (but didn't do one here so can't tell you about costs)

Aruba: we went to Eagle Beach - caught the L10 bus from the bus station (across the road as you leave the port) $2.50 each way - I think Palm Beach is probably better - it's a bit further on from where we got off. But easy convenient bus service (Eagle Beach free but few facilities)

Margarita Island: there's a small beach just by the berth (free)

Montego Bay: local shuttle bus to Dr Cave Beach @ 5$ each way (beach 5$ entry + charges for loungers etc.) FAB beach!

Grand Cayman: 1WD minibus from the bus station to 7-mile beach. 2.50$ to anywhere along the strip. We got off at Calico Jack's - free beach but not many facilities (although there are changing facilities) - might be worth checking out with Destination /Services for best beach around here - but may need to pay for private one for better amentities.

Roatan: The best beach of all! We got the local minibus service (Bodden's @ 15$ return from the quayside) and the driver took us to a private beach (10$ each) at the Mayan Princess but included use of pool, loungers etc. Idyllic spot!

Costa Maya: we didn't go to the beach here so can't help.

Havana: it's the old town you go to see here really - don't know if any beaches nearby.

Hope this helps. The two best beaches not to miss IMO are at Montego Bay (town not up to much) and at Roatan. Enjoy! :)

At Costa Maya there is huge pool area at the port and beach with great lobster /seafood lunch shacks about 2-3 miles from there, lots of cabs etc. at entrance to port to take you there.. very nice.

No wonder I couldn't help there Caroline - I've just remembered that our call to this port was cancelled! Couldn't imagine how I'd missed a large pool by the port! :o:D

It was Cozumel we went to and we went to the Mayan ruins on the mainland so we didn't see anything of the area around Cozumel itself.

Thanks for the helpful info again. I am looking forward to seeing the wonderful beaches! Also, what were the ruins like in Costa Maya? Is it worth a visit? As you did the same cruise can you tell me how long the airport transfers were each way? Thanks so much!:)

Thanks for the helpful info again. I am looking forward to seeing the wonderful beaches! Also, what were the ruins like in Costa Maya? Is it worth a visit? As you did the same cruise can you tell me how long the airport transfers were each way? Thanks so much!:)

Transfers from airports in Barbados and Havana both about half an hour. You get quite a good look at Bridgetown on the way through - and a bit of an eye-opener on the journey to the airport in Havana!!!

Someone said to me they were a bit underwhelmed by the ruins at Tulum - but I didn't quite know what to expect and we quite enjoyed the trip - we hadn't done many excursions mainly opting to find the beaches so it made a change.

They were quite well preserved but you couldn't get into the buildings - they're roped off - but they are in a beautiful setting. It's a National Park which is very well maintained and set out well too - you get free time to wander. The views along the cliff top are fabulous and there are loads of iguanas sunning themselves on the rocks. But the position is absolutely stunning - on a cliff top over-looking a gorgeous little cove. There were steps down to the beach and people were swimming there. If the timings are as when we went you would perhaps have time for a quick dip - we wasted about 45 minutes at the commercial bit where the souvenir shops are - I'd have rather gone for a paddle at least - but that's the wisdom of hindsight.

You should be aware though that there's about a 45 minute ferry ride to the mainland on a ferry then about another 45 minute coach transfer (boring scenery) to the site. If you've ever been to Olympia I would rate the ruins similarly - interesting and worth going to see but not as spectacular as Ephesus or Petra for example. Sorry not to be more definite - it's really hard to advise someone. Had it been a knock out (like Petra) it would be easier to say 'Yes - it's worth it'. It didn't blow me away but I did enjoy the trip in the context of a bit of variety during the holiday.

Anyway, hope you have a good time. :)

Thanks for the replies. Probably won't go to the ruins as the journey is a bit long and I don't think my teenage daughter will enjoy, (journey or ruins!) Can you tell me if there are toilet facilities at beaches? Has anyone been swimming with dolphins? I know it is included in one of the excursions. We are just trying to plan things to do.

Thanks for the replies. Probably won't go to the ruins as the journey is a bit long and I don't think my teenage daughter will enjoy, (journey or ruins!) Can you tell me if there are toilet facilities at beaches? Has anyone been swimming with dolphins? I know it is included in one of the excursions. We are just trying to plan things to do.

Sorry, our day was totally taken up with the trip so I can't give you any info on other excursions or even what Cozumel is like!! Hopefully someone else will know.

Hi just back from the Dream today.Costa maya was a wonderful stop,Large swimming pool surrounded by resturants,shops shower and rest rooms.Plus an added bonus was the Dolphins at the front of the complex in their own large pools, just grab a sun lounger and watch the Dolphins, just the thing for a teenage daughter and all for free. (just buy a drink from the waiters running around)

Hi.Just at the end of the pier where the ship docks.Only had one day of rain when we were visiting Rotan.

The Dream was fantastic, good food in every resturant,air con working to the max,no plumbing problems.Entertaintment great. As usual all staff walking around with a large smile on their face.

Only one problem was the lifts, to many with out of order signs on.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Archived