A little Quiz

Shiprobbo

Ok folks, a little knowledge test for a Tuesday afternoon......

One day in the late 'nineties, there were four passenger ships in Sydney together. They all had long and interesting careers, but between them there were - 3 Cunarders, 3 Princesses, 3 Sitmars. Three of the ships were on world cruises and one of the ships should not have been in port that day.

What were their current names? Their past names? Which were on world cruises? and which should not have been in port? A bonus point if you can tell me the date.

Good luck!

Ok folks, a little knowledge test for a Tuesday afternoon......

One day in the late 'nineties, there were four passenger ships in Sydney together. They all had long and interesting careers, but between them there were - 3 Cunarders, 3 Princesses, 3 Sitmars. Three of the ships were on world cruises and one of the ships should not have been in port that day.

What were their current names? Their past names? Which were on world cruises? and which should not have been in port? A bonus point if you can tell me the date.

Good luck!

i will have a rough quess...QE2,pacific princess,faistar,fairsky....

I think I have worked it out....

Date: 24 February 1998

Ships:

Arcadia (FairMajesty, Star Princess, Arcadia, Ocean Village, Pacific Pearl) = 1 x Sitmar, 1 x Princess.

Saga Rose (Saga Fjiord, Gripsholm, Saga Rose) = 1 x Cunard

Albatross (Sylvania, Fairwind, Dawn Princess, Albatross) = 1 x Cunard, 1 x Sitmar, 1 x Princess.

Fair Princess (Carinthia, Fairsea, Fair Princess, China Sea Discovery) = 1 x Cunard, 1 x Sitmar , 1 x Princess.

Fair Princess was the ship that shouldn't have been in port that day but had mechanical issues which delayed her and the other three were on world cruises.

Jenny

Ships:

Arcadia (FairMajesty, Star Princess, Arcadia, Ocean Village, Pacific Pearl) = 1 x Sitmar, 1 x Princess.

Albatross (Sylvania, Fairwind, Dawn Princess, Albatross) = 1 x Cunard, 1 x Sitmar, 1 x Princess.

Fair Princess (Carinthia, Fairsea, Fair Princess, China Sea Discovery) = 1 x Cunard, 1 x Sitmar , 1 x Princess.

Fair Princess was the ship that shouldn't have been in port that day but had mechanical issues which delayed her and the other three were on world cruises.

Jenny

Jenny,

Absolutely correct. Very well done indeed and in record time!!

Cheers,

Ships:

Jenny

Well done! I guess you have the Sitmar book, which is where I was heading to get the answers.

Well done! I guess you have the Sitmar book, which is where I was heading to get the answers.

Hi Skyrules,

Actually, I was at work and was initially thinking of 1997 when Fairstar (last cruise) and Fair Princess were in Sydney together as that would give you 2 x Sitmar, 1 x Princess and 1 x Cunard just in 2 ships, but then I realized that to get 3 x Cunard & 3 x Sitmar you would probably have to have Fairsea and Fairwind in Sydney together.

This never happened (to my knowledge) until after Fairstar was gone. So the only other Sitmar ship it could have been was either Fairsky or Fairmajesty. Since Fairsky (Pacific Sky) didn't come to Sydney until after Fairsea (Fair Princess) had gone, I thought the other Sitmar ship must have been FairMajesty. I found a date when all these ships were in Sydney together and found that Saga Rose was also in (giving me the extra Cunard).

But you are correct, it would have been much easier if I had access to my copy of 'Sitmar Liners Past and Present'.:)

Thanks David (Shiprobbo) that was fun!:D

Cheers

Jenny

Hi David, you would have been able to answer the quizz without any research.:DJenny

Ha Ha....not really Jenny ,....

That cruise was very early in my cruising history, and to be quite honest I dont recall seeing any other ships that day.

We sailed in very early, and we were mainly concerned with getting off and getting to the airport to catch the plane home.

I looked back on the Log of that cruise and it says we docked at Darling Harbour , Wharf 10.

Was there another terminal there before Wharf 8?

All I can remember was a big crowd and the taxis drove into the building up a ramp.

Ha Ha....not really Jenny ,....

That cruise was very early in my cruising history, and to be quite honest I dont recall seeing any other ships that day.

We sailed in very early, and we were mainly concerned with getting off and getting to the airport to catch the plane home.

I looked back on the Log of that cruise and it says we docked at Darling Harbour , Wharf 10.

Was there another terminal there before Wharf 8?

All I can remember was a big crowd and the taxis drove into the building up a ramp.

I think in those days they used to mainly the OPT, a couple of wharves in Darling Harbour and the old passenger terminal at 13 Pyrmont.

That day I think Fair Princess was in Garden island ungoing repairs, so there were still a number of suitable berths available. The Harbour has really changed over the years.

Jenny

it all told in the Sitmar past and present on page 236 at this link.

with a great photo of the Pacific pearl / Pacific Pearl (2010-on) OceanVillage (2003-2010)

Arcadia (1997-2003)

Star Princess (1989-1997)

FairMajesty (1988)in sydney under the habour bridge and albatos on page 238

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=PhGMcJw9THgC&pg=PA236&lpg=PA236&dq=when+was+there+four+passenger+ships+in+Sydney+at+the+same+time&source=bl&ots=dtWu_RJ5Di&sig=Hu7gpBtuWN4lHcb9FsCJ2CzMeyw&hl=en&ei=WgVbTeulPJD0vQPN7enSDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=when%20was%20there%20four%20passenger%20ships%20in%20Sydney%20at%20the%20same%20time&f=false

Love Thied

Peter is a great friend of mine and I have contributed a number of items and photographs to his books, including the Sitmar one. We both had lunch on Saga Rose on the day in question and Thied you are quite right it is documented in the book. We talked about the coincidence on the day as we waited to board Saga Rose, more so because Fair Princess and Albatross were both in port and we had never expected this to happen. Of course it was then a short hop to recall that Arcadia had been built for Sitmar and that Fair Princess and Albatross were ex-Cunarders!

While the easy answer was to look in the Sitmar book, Jenny I admire the way you worked it out.

Peter is a great friend of mine and I have contributed a number of items and photographs to his books, including the Sitmar one. We both had lunch on Saga Rose on the day in question and Thied you are quite right it is documented in the book. We talked about the coincidence on the day as we waited to board Saga Rose, more so because Fair Princess and Albatross were both in port and we had never expected this to happen. Of course it was then a short hop to recall that Arcadia had been built for Sitmar and that Fair Princess and Albatross were ex-Cunarders!

While the easy answer was to look in the Sitmar book, Jenny I admire the way you worked it out.

other Photo's and input are by Ian Edwards.

Archived