Missing clothing items - the REAL truth.

Here's a thought. Before you leave the cabin for the very last time, open the closet, open the drawers, look under the beds.

That would fix the entire problem without the cruise lines having to come up with a massive lost and found system for people who cant take an extra minute to make sure they have everything.

RCI could do it if they wanted to, and could charge for it. It is a pin, but hotels do it. Disney does it.

But anyone who truly believes that new or nearly new garments aren't recycled among the crew are kidding themsleves. I am certain they aren't binned.

travels for his job and so far this past year he has left in his hotel room...3 cell phone chargers, and on a USAir flight a brand new IPAD (yes an IPAD $950.00) on a plane. The cell phone chargers were turned into lost and found and returned to us by mail (we paid postage). However...his IPAD remains a gift to someone who is enjoying it tremendously. USAir said that most of the electronics are never turned in (in the words of one employee..they become the "gift" to the finder". Sad but true...costly lesson for anyone traveling...don't be to quick to leave. Of course RC could have told OP that in the very beginning. Room stewards must have a "shopping spree" after all that stuff is left. Don't believe for one minute that your "stuff" (unless it is real junk) doesn't become the property of someone else. After all would you toss perfectly good clothing and not to mention the electronics/sunglasses/and other personal valuables left behind.

I agree if they can find a place to put the 500 irons they collect on each voyage as well as the cases of booze...they can store your belongings for at least 7 days. Wouldn't most people be willing to pay a fee for storage and return postage???

A couple of years ago I left my CPAP machine on the Grandeur. I had packed the hose and mask but forgot the machine. We (I) were in a hurry because we needed to get out of the room early for debarkation. DW had to go to Guest Relations for something and while she stood in line our cabin steward came running up to her to return the machine. He was going to Guest Relations to see if they could page me before I left. It took two more cruises on the Grandeur to get up with him. I gave him a healthy tip for his service above and beyond what great service we had from him. If anyone ever gets a steward named George from Trinidad who wears glasses, you'll have a great guy.

Phil

On our cruise aboard the Jewel in November 2010, my brother & sister-in-law found brand new men's shirts & shorts, and a new pair of black size 7 ladies sandals in their closet upon boarding. We asked the room steward if we should turn them into the Purser's Desk. The Room Steward said a Lost & Found did not exist for clothes, only jewerly, electronics & valuable items. He said he would be happy to take them and dispose of them. We asked if they would be thrown away and were told no. The crew members launder & trade items if in good condition among themselves.

here's a thought. Before you leave the cabin for the very last time, open the closet, open the drawers, look under the beds.

That would fix the entire problem without the cruise lines having to come up with a massive lost and found system for people who cant take an extra minute to make sure they have everything.

amen!

Archived