is the room key the same as the ID/charge card?

tingalex

Hi all,

I've never sailed HAL before, and I called today to flip-flop the passengers reserved in the two cabins I've booked on an upcoming cruise. She said that since the cruise is <2 weeks away, it would be easier to just wait until everyone is onboard and then just swap room keys. I always thought that the "sail-and-sign" card (or whatever term HAL uses) was the same as the room key, but she said it is not.

I'm assuming she is right -- would someone mind confirming this for me? Also, if they ARE actually the same key and we can't just swap, should we just wait until onboard and go to the purser's desk? Thanks!

She is wrong. Your room key-card is your ID/charge card. You should go to the front desk to swap rooms. (Maybe it could be done at the check-in desk in the terminal, but I doubt it. It wouldn't hurt to ask.)

It always amazes me how "official" info from HAL HQ can be so wrong so often. :(

Just seconding the above post. Your room key is always your sail and sign card as well as the card you use to sign on and off the ship.

HAL must have a lot of employees who have never taken a cruise. It might be helpful if taking a cruise or two were a pre requisite to a job in customer service. It would be nice if the staff were familiar with their product.

Archived