Eastern or Western - I'm so confused!

sasisu

We booked the 10-day eastern cruise on the Dawn for April 2006, but I hear so many cruisers talking about Dawn's 11-day western cruise. I hope I made the right choice. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We did an Eastern/Southern on the Dawn in Dec. 05, our first time in the Caribbean, and enjoyed it immensely. We just lined up the eastern ports available for that timeframe vs. the western ports, and we clearly favored the eastern ones. However, now that we've been there, we would now be open to try a western cruise in the future vs. a repeat.

I looked at your itinerary, and note a few changes vs. ours, incl. Puerto Rico and the private island. I didn't look at the times in port, but I would assume you would have more time since we travelled much further south to Barbados.

Beach, cruise ship, tropical drinks, and hopefully great weather, how can you go wrong!!!

We booked the 10-day eastern cruise on the Dawn for April 2006, but I hear so many cruisers talking about Dawn's 11-day western cruise. I hope I made the right choice. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It is all about the ports you want to see. Many of us have already cruised on the Dawn to most of the ports in the Eastern intinerary. By 5th Dawn booking is the 11 day Western. Two reasons the date (same time next year) and the fact that it will make 4 different itineraries out of 5 cruises on the ship. I have done Eastern out of Miami, FL from NYC, 2 Sothern 10 days from NYC, and I will now add a Western.

For me if you like the ports the 10 day is better. Less time off work as you cruise over two weekends. I was abble to wrap up some last minute business by cell on Thr. evening from my balcony and only give up one vacation day for friday. You get 10 days and only take one extra day off compaired to a 7 day cruise.If you have not done it it is a better itinerary. I will not get off the ship in Jamaica unless I head over to Jimmy Buffets.

I am still concerned about being away for almost two full weeks to get an extra day.

My $.02

Tom and Shoreguy,

Loved your replies. I am satisfied with my decision and will just have to book a western in the future. Can you tell me anything special about the ports,

St. Thomas, Tortola, & St. Maartin. I bought a book, but I want to hear something from a cruise critic. Thanks again.

Tom and Shoreguy,

Loved your replies. I am satisfied with my decision and will just have to book a western in the future. Can you tell me anything special about the ports,

St. Thomas, Tortola, & St. Maartin. I bought a book, but I want to hear something from a cruise critic. Thanks again.

One thing in my opion is a must do. Take the tour to Virgin Gorda/ The Baths when in Tortola.

http://community.webshots.com/album/27257925oReEddANfF

St Thomas - if your there a full day a trip to St. Johns might be an option. If shopping for high end jewelry this is the place.

St Maartin - Cheapest booze on the cruise. Lots of great options. All depends on what you like. Excellent beach day options. I did Rhino Riders last month. It was a hoot but you will be sore in the morning :)

This is the exact cruise we would like to book for spring of 2006. What kind of cabin did you book ? We were on the Sun last month (western caribbean) and almost booked for next year. We were given a price of 3572$ (two adults) for a balcony cabin, including ports and taxes.Is your pricing similar ?

I have one concern for cruising from New York. I was not sea sick on the Sun but felt "queezy" a few times. I'm just wondering if the sea is much rougher from N-Y down to the caribbean sea ?

I envy you...

I have one concern for cruising from New York. I was not sea sick on the Sun but felt "queezy" a few times. I'm just wondering if the sea is much rougher from N-Y down to the caribbean sea ?

I envy you...

Can be a "little" rougher. From the worst cruise in 2 years. :eek:

1220wave.jpg.ce706c6a74e3b2234c8d4bc3755bd0b6.jpg

I envy you...

A month later same area of the Atlantic. :) Like the carib it varies from cruise to cruise

Dawn0128.jpg.087d0bfd9d4fa5f82f4839656d29a66c.jpg

Shoreguy,

Thanks for the pictures! They were very so enjoyable. Was that an AB suite that you were staying in? If so, do you remember the room number?

I was in an AF 11502 but had friends in 11510 (Ruby) two doors down. I have to look at what I put up but I think there are pictures from both.

The only picture posted from the AB is the bath. Here is the dining area shot from the living area.

2058527220_Dawn2005ABbar.jpg.7b784932fec2f34e064ed8f8e40b4a77.jpg

Archived