How far in advance?

Blndiebby25

Hello everyone,

How far in advance do you book your flight? I got my tax refund back today and was going to use it for my flight but am wondering how far in advance should I book. Should I book now (it looks like it will be $1470.00CDN for 2 from edmonton to tampa return) or book later and hope for a seat sale?

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Most airlines will show flights 300 days in advance. If you are comfortable with paying the amount then book it. You didnt say when your cruise is= if its a high peak time I would book flights for times I am comfortable with. If not high season I would wait.

Thanks Serene,

My cruise starts on December 11, 2005, but we want to fly in a day early due to the wonderful Canadian winter weather :rolleyes: .

I have been keeping an eye on the prices with Air Canada the last little while as they were the only ones showing prices this far in advance (been checking the last 2 months) and have noticed their airfares creeping up a bit ($20) at a time.

I think I will keep an eye on the prices for a couple months longer just in case there is a seat sale with another airline or something.

Thanks,

Jennifer -- going down a day earlier is a wise move- especially during a winter time frame- youjust never know what could hit. Kee p watching and knowing what the price is about. Put yourself on the travelocity fare watch for yourself also. That could help keep an eye for you

i can only tell you that i purchased my flight as soon as i could. and as i thought the price has sky-rocketed since my purchase. i am glad i bought it when i did. if you are comfortable with the price get it now. keep checking it and if the price goes down get a refund.

Musicmansmom, I wish I could gather posts like yours and show them to friends who keep dragging their heels in hopes for a better fare from Seattle to Florida next January. If it were me, I'd book and deal with a refund (if any) later, to get my choice of flights, times, etc., but they want to wait and see if any sales show up. With fuel being what it is, I can't see that. We booked our seats within days after the schedules for our time frame came out and I'm glad.

thanks chipster, i had the feeling that the gas prices would cause the flights to go up and they sure did. i am from the midwest and we have already saved over one hundred dollars on the price. also, the good times for leaving and making connections are booked full already. i hate having to run through the airport to catch a plane in a 30 minute time frame. wow are we lucky. that is the price of some type of tour or something great to buy at one of the shops in a port. i did the same with our hotel room. as soon as priceline would take bids for rooms i got a 4* a block from the harbour and 3 blocks from the cruise ships for $50. wow, what a deal ;) . other posters here now say they are up too $100 for the same rooms with priceline. i guess being a early planner is the best defense for me. have a great time and i hope your friends dont regret choosing too wait untill the last minute.

The problem is, they don't travel very much, and the process I think intimidates them a bit. I have no problem planning ahead, especially if I know my dates are certain, like these. I am wondering how far ahead you started bidding your rooms. We cruise in January of 06 and will need rooms in Fort Lauderdale (or Miami) pre and post-cruise. Too early to start?

As far as my friends go, I have told them REPEATEDLY that what they might gain in savings, they could give up in schedules and airline preferences, etc. So hopefully, they are listening when I keep repeating that! :)

chipster

i bid with priceline last june for my may cruise. and you are going to a very popular spot at a very busy time of year. i would check out priceline now, see if they will accept the dates you want to be there, choose a area they include ( look at the map for the areas ) that offers the location you want to stay and start bidding now. i cant advise you on what star rating to choose as i have never been to fl.lauderdale. but for me i would not go below a 3 star. beleive me , i am no expert. this was my first try with priceline and i will definetely use them again. but i would not wait. i hope you get lucky

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I've been a PL user for YEARS and never had a bad experience (never say never, right?). Especially if it's one or two nights before or after a cruise, I'm sure paying a lot less will appeal to our group (we are 7 couples and I'm the appointed "cruise director" since my husband and I travel regularly and I feel comfortable with making plans!) Yes, I know it will be a busy time of year down there, and then we realized that we arrive on the Friday of a 3-day weekend as well!

Archived