a locals opinion of Magens Bay

hpreece

Recently while visting St.Thomas I spoke with a native regarding their option on Magens Bay. He stated that he prefers Sapphire Beach because the water is warmer and they use underground septic tanks in St. Thomas so when it rains "it" washes down the hills into Magens Bay.

I don't know how true it is but I thought I would share because I was appreciative that he shared that with me. I do know a little about septic tanks and know that they do leak into the ground.

-Heather

Well, we have been to Magens 3 times and have never had a problem with sewage, either smell or solids. :eek: If this was actually true, I doubt Magens Bay would have been listed as one of the Top Ten beaches in the world (which it was, a few years back).

Anyway, to anyone who is going it's not a problem you will notice, if it is a problem at all.

Many people have a favorite beach or two, but Magens is the equivalent of the community center in other places. People have birthday parties, company picnics and BBQs. There are runners and swimmers groups that meet there. The Boy Scouts have a kayak regatta there. It is a gem to most locals.

The water is basically the same temperature everywhere given the same depth. There are thermoclines due to currents, but one beach is not "warmer" than another.

On *any* Caribbean island, it is not advisable to get in the water after a great deal of heavy rain.

Archived