A Million Questions... well maybe not that many, but

2bfirsttime

Hello everyone! Hope the weather is warming up for many of you who have had a hard winter.

My husband and I have decided to give our teen son the vacation of a lifetime for his graduation. Its been weighing heavy on our minds for a year now, and now is the time to REALLY start making our decissions.

Our son will graduate high school in 2012, so thats only a little over a year away. After looking at possibly every cruise there is to be seen, we have pretty much decided on Disney!

As for my questions..

1) We have not bounced the idea off our son as to Disney, just that a cruise was in order. Do you feel that there is enough magic and entertainment for 2 eighteen year old boys? (we have told him to take a friend) Or would it really be to childish for them?

2) Can the 18 year olds go to the adult clubs?

3) We would like to include WDW in our plans, Fort Wilderness Cabins to be exact. I think those look really neat, and would help save somemoney feeding hungry young men, as we could cook out. Would you go to WDW before or after the cruise?

4) Being that a Disney cruise is @ a premium price, and I am well aware they are worth every dime, would it make better money sense to book

A) A Family Suite like in the 1 bedroom suite

B) A large suite we would all share OR

C) 2 regular rooms

5) What all IS included on a Disney Cruise? I know the basics like the room, the shows, and food. But what about arcades? Workshops etc?

6) How "Dress Up" is dinner? You know sometimes it is hard to get teens to dress up too much. My guys are fans of their polo's and cargo's. Naturally I would not allow them to wear cargo's to dinner, but I am afraid I wont get them in a suite either. KWIM?

7) We would be sailing from Port Canaveral, can you recommend a stay and park hotel or resort? (We did this last fall in Mobile and are doing it again this fall, it seems to be the best way IMO)

8) How can I set up the boys sign and sail cards? Can I put limits on them so they dont get too crazy? I just do not want any suprises at the end of the cruise. They are both very good young men, but you never know.

9) Do you book your excursions through the cruise lines? Or do you investigate and book on your own?

We have only sailed Carnival (please dont bash) so the whole Disney Cruise is new to us. We want to make this a vacation the boys will NEVER forget. It will last for 14 days total including travel time, and will be a complete shocker. The boys know there is a cruise and thats it, the other boys parents know whats up and are helping us keep the secret. So for more questions....

1) How would you go about suprising the boys?

2) Should I made door signs for their door with their pictures in their cap and gowns?

Thanks in advance for any and all information and help you can give me.

Hi! I can help answer some of your questions because I am "in the same boat" so to speak. ;) My son is also graduating in 2012 and we are taking him and two friends on DCL followed by a couple of days at either WDW or Universal.

1. We have been on DCL 5 times and love it. My son is looking forward to the freedom and ability to participate as an adult on the cruise. And, no, we don't think it is too childish.

2. Yes, 18 year olds can go the clubs but can't drink, of course. They are also allowed to use the fitness center and spa, hang out at the adults-only Cove Cafe and pool and go to Palo, the adults-only restaurant.

3. If possible, I would go to WDW before. (Doesn't work with our schedule this time.) The parks are more hectic and you're always on the go. It's nice to relax and be pampered on the cruise after all that!

4. I would book 2 rooms. The boys need their privacy and their own bathroom. We have booked a verandah room for us and the boys will be in an inside cabin on the same deck but further down the hall.

5. DCL price includes accommodations, food, room service (for most items), shows, movies, fitness center, workshops, etc. but not the arcade.

6. Most nights my son will wear nice cargos or khakis with a polo. On formal and semi-formal nights (if going on a 7-night), he wears a pair of dress slacks and a button down shirt (with a tie on formal night). On pirate night, he can wear shorts and pirate-theme t-shirt if he wants. He doesn't mind the dressing up a bit. He really enjoys the nice dinner atmosphere and being treated like an adult!

7. We have stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn at the port. We get a 2-bedroom suite and it includes a very generous breakfast.

8. Because the boys are 18, they are considered adults and I am guessing will automatically have charging privileges. You will have to give them a set spending amount (they can spend on bingo, arcade, special coffees at Cove Cafe, spa treatments, gift shops) and then trust them.

9. I have done both and it is certainly cheaper to do it on your own. Great info on the cruise boards - here and the disboards.

As far as surprising the boys, that's a tough one to answer. It depends on them. My son would be embarrassed if I did anything too public. I would also tell them early enough so they can be involved in the planning of excursions, etc. Half the fun is in the planning. And I personally would not do the cap and gown picture for the door but only because my son is a private person and that might embarrass him!

Good luck with your plans!

I agree that a lot of the fun is the anticipation! We celebrated my husband's 60th birthday with a Disney Cruise with all of the children, spouses and grandchildren (it was our second Disney Cruise) and there was something for everyone at all times!

If both boys were your sons, you could share one of the veranda staterooms with no problem. However, with one being a friend, I would opt for a smaller, inside room for the boys.

I agree with everything that zincruiser replied as well.

Have a wonderful trip!

I'm new to DCL cruising too. Which ship are you looking at? So far the Dream hasn't had any reports of any dress up nights at all. So right now, there is one.

We are also staying at the Residence the night before and leaving our car there.

I have heard visiting Disney 1st is the better way to go. But we are going after, only because it works better with flights. But even if we did go before, I think I would come back one day too. It seems so sad to go from the ship to the airport. LOL~

You can check out the dining plan too. Perhaps with the quick service plan at WDW, you can let your boys get 2 counter services a day, plus 2 snacks.

Soft drinks are included on the cruise if you get them at the refill station or at dinner. If you get them fro mthe bar, they will charge you. I think room service charges for soft drinks as well. And remember if you order room service, you should tip.

go to WDW first...i hear when you set it up through Disney as a land and sea package they have you cruise first then go to Disney...WDW can be very busy and tiring especially if you are doing the parks. I would do WDW first then cruise and relax!

My husband and I love Disney Cruises, however, if I was taking 2 18yo boys on a cruise I would look at Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas from Port Canaveral. I think the boys would love the Flow Rider and Rock Climbing Wall. They will be allowed in the clubs on RCCL also. Don't get me wrong, Disney is great and we go with no kids, but I just don't there is enough to keep the 18yo set busy unless they really LOVE everything Disney.

My husband and I love Disney Cruises, however, if I was taking 2 18yo boys on a cruise I would look at Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas from Port Canaveral. I think the boys would love the Flow Rider and Rock Climbing Wall. They will be allowed in the clubs on RCCL also. Don't get me wrong, Disney is great and we go with no kids, but I just don't there is enough to keep the 18yo set busy unless they really LOVE everything Disney.

I agree with you. I would think 18yr old boys would enjoy RC more then Disney. Now 18yr old girls might like Disney! I would ask the boy. After all it is for HIM right??? You could still go to WDW and then do the cruise on RC.

I agree with you. I would think 18yr old boys would enjoy RC more then Disney. Now 18yr old girls might like Disney! I would ask the boy. After all it is for HIM right??? You could still go to WDW and then do the cruise on RC.

Have you been on RC? That was another one that we were looking at. They just do not have the iten's for the time we are able to go posted yet. I myself would like the rock climbing! :p

We bounced some idea's off the boys this weekend. So were getting a better idea of what they have in mind. More or less tey just want to go somewhere tropical, naturally the Bahamas is high on their list because a friend of theirs has been there and had a great time. So that points me in a direction to go on a Eastern, not a Western. They are both REALLY into Golf. Any suggestions for golfing (RC or Disney)?

Naturally my whole direction of thinking can be shifting here, but I am still super greatful for the input on this thread. Even if we do not go on a Disney Cruise, we will be going to WDW. That has been a request in my house for a couple of years now.

Archived