Are We Scooter People THAT Bad??

kitty9

We were behind an elderly couple (at least late 70's - possibly early 80's) leaving the theatre on our HAL cruise in the Caribbean last year. She has a walker so they're not moving too fast. He has a cane but has it hung on the side rail of her walker and is using it for balance - with his hand on hers. I didn't hear any comments as to how slow they were moving. In fact, as we were going through the shops one of the gentlemen who worked there watched them go by - and had the nicest smile on his face. Made you wonder who they reminded him of.

I thought it was great that they were still out there traveling - and obviously still enjoying each others company.

That's a sweet story.

My husband, who is an amputee, and wheelchair bound are leaving in 3 weeks on a cruise. I have been told that we should take his scooter as the ship, Norwegian Sun, while not an Epic or anything will wind up with me pushing him. After reading about how some cruisers treat scooter people I don't know if I should try the scooter or what. He is polite on his scooter and has never hit anyone. It is hard enough travelling with a handicap without having people make snide and uncalled for remarks. I remember an old saying people should think about....I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet. Thanks for letting me vent. Feel better already and I think we will take the scooter. Watch out world, here we come.;)

My husband, who is an amputee, and wheelchair bound are leaving in 3 weeks on a cruise. I have been told that we should take his scooter as the ship, Norwegian Sun, while not an Epic or anything will wind up with me pushing him. After reading about how some cruisers treat scooter people I don't know if I should try the scooter or what. He is polite on his scooter and has never hit anyone. It is hard enough travelling with a handicap without having people make snide and uncalled for remarks. I remember an old saying people should think about....I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet. Thanks for letting me vent. Feel better already and I think we will take the scooter. Watch out world, here we come.;)

willough: Don't let the "cranky", "insensitive", "ill mannered" people dictate your cruise or life experiences.

When I first started going through my life with a Service Dog, I can't begin to tell you the comments I would get [some were very hurtful] and, the folks I encountered who would try and kick me out of their establishments. Some of them were fired from their jobs for doing so [thank you ADA!] At first, I felt bad about it.....then I realized that I have the same rights everyone else does....I just may go about living my rights a bit differently.....I say "live with it" world!!!!!!

And, you go with your hubby and have a wonderful, fulfilling cruise experience.....Go live your very best life!!!!!

Wasn't sure if I should post or not but need to make a few comments here. First off let me say that I practiced geriatric nursing for over 20 years and am quite familiar with wheelchairs, walkers, power scooters, oldsters and not so oldsters requiring assitance with ambulation or transportation. In the not too distant past my own DH had the unfortunate experience of having to use a wheelchair and/or walker to be mobile for a time. I have nothing against folks using these tools and am thankful they are available to improve the quality of life.

For the most part I have found folks to be pleasant, courteous and genuinely friendly. There are those however.......

I had the unfortunate experience on my last cruise to literally have a run-in with "one of those". A man, aged 76 and wearing oxygen, operating a

motorized scooter was so totally obnoxious and arrogant as to expect the world to revolve around him. He literally backed up his scooter and rammed forward pinning my leg between two chairs on the Lido deck on early afternoon. I was attempting to move a chair out of his way so I could be seated with my friends and so he could pass - he would not wait even a few seconds for others to move to allow him free access. He sped off honking his horn and bellowing at fellow passengers to get out of his way. Yes - it was reported to security - we were on the last days of our voyage and no more ports to stop at before debarkation so not much could be done. Thankfully I was not seriously injured - just quite shaken up. On this same cruise a dear friend of mine was backed into by a female on one of these machines and then chastised for not watching where she was going - the operator never checked to see if anyone was behind her.

So yes, there are those out there who give a bad name to the whole lot. There are a few in every crowd. The same could be said about any group of people in any given situation. I will admit - I am a bit leary now when I see a scooter approaching.

Thank you to those of you who are considerate and careful - no matter your mode of transportation (that includes your own two feet) If we would only all take the time to treat each other with kindness and respect

I did mention to Carnival my concerns regarding these "tools" being kept in the passageways. A real safety hazard in emergent situations. We even had an "Alpha Team" false alarm at 2am one morning and I shudder to think of tripping over walkers and wheelchairs in the passageways. Carnival will need to be more strict in enforcing their rules of maintaining them in the cabins.

To those of you able to continue your travels more comfortably with these items I say - "carry on" and enjoy. I look forward to seeing you onboard -

Wasn't sure if I should post or not but need to make a few comments here. First off let me say that I practiced geriatric nursing for over 20 years and am quite familiar with wheelchairs, walkers, power scooters, oldsters and not so oldsters requiring assitance with ambulation or transportation. In the not too distant past my own DH had the unfortunate experience of having to use a wheelchair and/or walker to be mobile for a time. I have nothing against folks using these tools and am thankful they are available to improve the quality of life.

For the most part I have found folks to be pleasant, courteous and genuinely friendly. There are those however.......

I had the unfortunate experience on my last cruise to literally have a run-in with "one of those". A man, aged 76 and wearing oxygen, operating a

motorized scooter was so totally obnoxious and arrogant as to expect the world to revolve around him. He literally backed up his scooter and rammed forward pinning my leg between two chairs on the Lido deck on early afternoon. I was attempting to move a chair out of his way so I could be seated with my friends and so he could pass - he would not wait even a few seconds for others to move to allow him free access. He sped off honking his horn and bellowing at fellow passengers to get out of his way. Yes - it was reported to security - we were on the last days of our voyage and no more ports to stop at before debarkation so not much could be done. Thankfully I was not seriously injured - just quite shaken up. On this same cruise a dear friend of mine was backed into by a female on one of these machines and then chastised for not watching where she was going - the operator never checked to see if anyone was behind her.

So yes, there are those out there who give a bad name to the whole lot. There are a few in every crowd. The same could be said about any group of people in any given situation. I will admit - I am a bit leary now when I see a scooter approaching.

Thank you to those of you who are considerate and careful - no matter your mode of transportation (that includes your own two feet) If we would only all take the time to treat each other with kindness and respect

I did mention to Carnival my concerns regarding these "tools" being kept in the passageways. A real safety hazard in emergent situations. We even had an "Alpha Team" false alarm at 2am one morning and I shudder to think of tripping over walkers and wheelchairs in the passageways. Carnival will need to be more strict in enforcing their rules of maintaining them in the cabins.

To those of you able to continue your travels more comfortably with these items I say - "carry on" and enjoy. I look forward to seeing you onboard -

There are some rude, rude people in all genres of life. I, too, have had some very negative experiences with people both in wheelchairs and while I was pushing my DH who uses a wheelchair. The following being the worst ever........I wish no harm on anyone but the moron who ran over my Service Dog while pushing his father hurridly to get to the theatre first, should push one more wheelchair and then fall off the earth!

What really frosts my cake is that he didn't even turn around when he heard this beautiful dog cry-out in pain. If I wasn't tending to my dog, I would have "clocked him" with my purse!

The entire lounge jumped-up to come to my aid but not the one who did it........he was in a hurry to be first in line!!!!!!! :mad:

Oh, your poor puppy. My heart breaks for that. So nasty and unfair.

It took time, love and lots of consistency for me to undo what that inconsiderate person did in one fell-swoop! She had a sore heel for the rest of that cruise and, thank goodness I bring all the necessary meds for her on every cruise [that one was her 10th] and, she'll soon be on her 15th. There were a few others inbetween.

I look out for anyone who's near her by foot or wheel. I've been known to actually tap someone on the butt to warn them that there was a Service Dog behind them [i happened to have been bent over to adjust her vest, at the time], usually I'll tap their shoulder......this was just a quicker way to alert them not to step backwards on my baby!!!!!! :cool:

She's okay with wheel chairs now......I'm just more careful and watchful of who's around her and when!

These are the type of people who get my ROAD RAGE up. And I am a Confrontational person. I have been hit & hurt by several of these Rude Scooter type people. (Not saying everyone is. I will help anyone who is nice & needs help) And I have forcibilly detained them until Police or other Authority arrived to document what happened & obtained personal information from both of us. I will not force you to divulge personal info as I will tell you F OFF of you ask me. But I will make sure you provide it to Proper Authorities. This way it can be obtained if LEGAL action is needed.

So as always, you obtain more with honey that vinegar. So if you want to get an attitude, be prepared I can give a heck of lot more than you may realize. And I am not afraid of pulling you out of that chair if you assault me with it.

There are some rude, rude people in all genres of life. I, too, have had some very negative experiences with people both in wheelchairs and while I was pushing my DH who uses a wheelchair. The following being the worst ever........I wish no harm on anyone but the moron who ran over my Service Dog while pushing his father hurridly to get to the theatre first, should push one more wheelchair and then fall off the earth!

What really frosts my cake is that he didn't even turn around when he heard this beautiful dog cry-out in pain. If I wasn't tending to my dog, I would have "clocked him" with my purse!

The entire lounge jumped-up to come to my aid but not the one who did it........he was in a hurry to be first in line!!!!!!! :mad:

They may have been first, but they would have come back as I would have been in their face with Security in tow or I wiould be pulling them back to the scene of the attack DEMANDING action. I would demand that their personal information be taken & they be prepared for Legal Action. Service Animals are very valuable & expensive. I dont ask when you assault me, I DEMAND you make me whole again.

They may have been first, but they would have come back as I would have been in their face with Security in tow or I wiould be pulling them back to the scene of the attack DEMANDING action. I would demand that their personal information be taken & they be prepared for Legal Action. Service Animals are very valuable & expensive. I dont ask when you assault me, I DEMAND you make me whole again.

Brenda, my Working Dog, is invaluable to me, that said; dollar wise - she's worth around $70,000. She's brilliant at what she does and how she does it. She trains other dogs in "Service Dog behavior" she's so smart.

You are correct, the ADA and the Department of Justice protects our dogs with hefty fines and even a jail sentence if they are intentionally harmed.

I was so intent on attending to Brenda who had given such a "yelp", something I had never heard before or since this incident that I couldn't even tell you who the moron was. I never got a proper apology!

I keep antibiotic ointment in Brenda's emergency kit and she had it applied twice daily for the rest of the cruise. She has a definite scar on her elbow, to this day, from that cruise. :(

Archived