Help which insur. if u miss boat in a port of call

I have DAN insurance for my scuba diving, but if the dive boat has a malfunction (never has before) can't make it back in time for me to get on the cruise ship, I need insurance to pay for me to get to the next port of call or back to Florida if there aren't any more ports.

I went to insuremytrip dot com and I'm wondering which one to pick. It would be nice to have some medical coverage is I should get ill and need to see the cruise ship doctor, but I haven't had a cold in over 8 years. No pre-exisiting conditions either. The cheap one $77 for 9 days seems to be enough.

They talk about trip delay, but does that include the ship leaving me behind because I missed the ship?

I heard that to see the cruise ship doctor it is over $100. Is this true?

If you go with RCCI insurance (way more expensive), do you still need to pay the doctor up front and get reimbursed or do they take the insurance.

You probably know this but I'm not hearing it in your post,,,,,,,,,,

None of the insurance policies you are looking for pay for any of the services you may require. They all reimburse only,,, for the most part.

Need to see the ship board doctor?...... You pay cash or credit, then file for reimbursement.

Miss the ship and need to fly somewhere?..... You pay cash or credit then file for reimbursement.

This is from CSA under their trip interruption coverage:

"1. Common Carrier delays resulting from inclement weather,

or mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship or boat or

motor coach on which you are scheduled to travel, or organized

labor strikes that affect public transportation;"

And here's their definition of "common carrier":

"COMMON CARRIER means any land, water or air conveyance

operated under a license for the transportation of

passengers for hire, not including taxicabs or rented, leased

or privately owned motor vehicles."

I think a good case could be made that the dive boat falls under the definition of a "common carrier" and that a breakdown of the boat causing the passenger to miss the ship should be covered (note no minimum interruption time required). It would be interesting to see how that would be handled.

With Travelex the Missed Connection benefit might apply:

"MISSED CONNECTION

This benefit covers missed Cruise departures that result from cancellation or delay (for three (3) or more hours) of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to Inclement Weather or any Common Carrier caused delay. Maximum benefits of up to the amount shown in the Confirmation of Coverage are provided to cover additional transportation expenses needed for You to join the departed Cruise, reasonable accommodation and meal expenses and nonrefundable trip payments for the unused portion of Your Cruise. Coverage is secondary to any compensation provided by a Common Carrier. Coverage will not be provided to individuals who are able to meet their scheduled departure but cancel their Cruise due to Inclement Weather."

Their definition of "Common Carrier" is similar to CSA's. What I'm not sure about is if a "missed Cruise departure" only applies to the departure from the original boarding location or if any departure from any port of call would be covered.

Archived