Galveston question

We are considering sailing Feb 12, 2012 out of Galveston.

We would be visiting Belize.

The return flight is at 11:20 AM from Bush Intl.

Any advice on if there is any problem making this flight, since we have heard there can be big delays clearing customs on Belize visited cruises.

Thanks

Change your flight!!!

Bush airport is 1 & 1/2 hours from the port, so you would have to be off the ship and cleared through customs by 8:30 to get through security at the airport. And that is if everything goes well.

All of the Gulf ports have frequent delays due to fog. And Galveston is one of the worse for fog delays.

Any advice on if there is any problem making this flight, since we have heard there can be big delays clearing customs on Belize visited cruises.

Thanks

We visited Belize and had no problem with customs, however, an 11:20 flight from IAH is almost impossible, IMHO. You would need to be at IAH by 10 AM, and it is about 1.5 to 2 hours from Galveston to IAH. You would have to be in a vehicle and on the road by 8 AM to be sure you were at the airport in time for your flight.

BIL and SIL had a 12:30 PM flight when we cruised from Galveston three years ago. We did the early self-debarkation and they barely made their flight. I would recommend taking a later flight....or flying out of Houston Hobby (HOU), if at all possible.

Since it appears that you are from Chicago, Southwest Airlines has non-stop flights between Chicago and Houston Hobby (I've become WAY too familiar with them....). There is currently an 11:35 AM flight on Sundays.....you at least have a shot at making that one. If you miss it, there is another one around 3 PM.

We sailed the Voyager out of Galveston a few weeks ago and stopped at Belize. No problems disembarking...haven't heard anything about Belize being an issue. We were off the ship and through customs in about 20 minutes total. We got off at about 8:15am - the lines may have gotten longer later in the morning. If you want to make a flight before noon you need to be among the first off the ship and hope for no fog, which wasn't a problem for us but has been an issue the past 2 weekends.

Just a note - Southwest flies into Houston's Hobby airport and also flies into Midway in the Chicago area (appears you are from there) - that might be the best option for your flights, and Hobby is closer to the port.

Thank you everyone for the comments.

Trying to use my AA miles and go nonstop so there are not many favorable options. There is another flight at 3:50pm but really don't want to wait that long.

Thanks again

If you choose the 3:50 pm flight you'll have time to sleep in a tad, have breakfast and then be one of the last off the boat. Then you won't need to worry about rushing to the airport and if it does take the 2 hours to get there, you won't be sweating bullets wondering if you're going to make your flight.

IMO 3:50 pm would be ideal - plenty of time to relax and enjoy the last day of vacation.

I don't think Belize has much to do with it, but I've been on the Voyager out of Galveston twice around that time of year. Both times there was some delay related to fog. Last year, we were delayed by fog on our embarkation day, and the ship didn't dock until about 2pm. Obviously, lots of people missed their flights that day. We didn't have any trouble getting in on time on our return a week later, but customs got backed up, reportedly because they found drugs in someones luggage, so that got them looking more carefully and backed up customs for everyone.

So, things do happen, and Galveston is still quite a trip away from IAH, so I think your flight time is very risky. If it's super-cheap, and you want to take the risk, knowing you could miss your flight, go for it. Some people can do that, with an attitude of, "if I make it, I make it; if I don't, I don't." But if it will be a cause of stress for you, definitely book later. :)

Book the 03:50 pm flight. You can't be sure that the ship, weather or traffic will not stop you from making it in time for the earlier flight. Take your time enjoying the ship, get off later and make your way toward Houston at a nice relaxed pace. Nothing could ruin your return from vacation like missing your flight home.

It is my understand that Roatan is the problem--Honduras--that requires extra time in processing through customs. Don't know for sure but heard the same problem has occurred at other ports when the ship has gone to Honduras.

Your odds of making that 11:30 flight with a 1 1/2 - 2 hour pre-check in are Slim and none and Slim just left town. We live in the Galveston area and, hence, take fellow passengers with us on cruises to the airport. We self-disembark with the first wave (pun intended) of people, no delay at immigration, our son is waiting to pick us up and we put the pedal to the metal to IAH. No bathroom stops, no Starbucks stops. Only once have we made it by 10:00 a.m. Most of the time it has been around 10:30. Any hold up at all with fog or immigration and you are screwed.

Tucker in Texas

Thanks

Having just gotten off the Voyager doing this same itinerary, I advise you to change the flights. We had MASSIVE fog delays at BOTH ends of our cruise and just barely made our 3:40PM flights out of Hobby, which is slightly closer! I can't imagine you making an 11:20 flight on time.

Your odds of making that 11:30 flight with a 1 1/2 - 2 hour pre-check in are Slim and none and Slim just left town. We live in the Galveston area and, hence, take fellow passengers with us on cruises to the airport. We self-disembark with the first wave (pun intended) of people, no delay at immigration, our son is waiting to pick us up and we put the pedal to the metal to IAH. No bathroom stops, no Starbucks stops. Only once have we made it by 10:00 a.m. Most of the time it has been around 10:30. Any hold up at all with fog or immigration and you are screwed.

Tucker in Texas

I will second Tucker's advice. We did this itinerary in January and had no delays getting off. We did not do self disembarkation but were in one of the first groups off the ship. We didn't make it to Bush until around 12:30ish (used RCI transfers and don't even consider this an option if you go with an early flight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). RCI transfers only leave once the bus is full regardless of what time your flight leaves. We had a late flight so we weren't effected by this, but our bus had several irate people who nearly missed their flights waiting for the bus to fill.

I would definitely go with a later flight.

Thank you everyone for the comments.

Trying to use my AA miles and go nonstop so there are not many favorable options. There is another flight at 3:50pm but really don't want to wait that long.

Thanks again

If you are willing to take a connecting flight, you can connect through DFW on AA to get to Hobby.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

We have decided to sail the Adventure on a southern caribbean cruise out of San Juan instead. It will be an interesting adjustment as we have been on Oasis twice and will be on Allure in October and have gotten used to the huge ships and all there is to do on them.

We believe the new ports will make up for the difference in ships. BTW, we have been on Mariner and Voyager so we are familiar with this class also, and have been considering a southern for a couple of years now.

Should be great as always.

Thanks again.

Archived