Any cruise line or cruise not charge for an infant?

Rob_Jen

Hello,

We have been on 6 cruises and want to go again this fall. Only set back is now we have a new baby.

I cant believe they charge for an infant. The child is on formula and would not eat any of the food or drinks. Charging $400 for a child that we will be holding the most of the time is crazy.

Anyone know if any cruise line doesn't charge for infants?

This may keep us away from cruising for a long time.

By maritime law, the ship can only carry a certain number of passengers. An infant counts as one of those passengers. Once again, since the infant counts as a full birth, they are charged accordingly. A handful of cruise lines do have special rates for children under two, and Disney has variable rates according to age; however, the vast majority charge the same for children as they do adults.

Thanks,

I guess that means no cruising for us for a long time.

I dont believe that the Coast Guard charges $400 per person for their occupancy on the ship. The price changes per stateroom as well.

If its law then I guess no more cruising for me.

Time to look into a resort i nthe Carribean instead. Any ideas?

Be prepared to get a variety of comments on this question:)

Have you checked with Disney? I think they give a discounted rate for infants. CCL charges 3rd person rate for an infant, or at least they did when I was checking.

Just curious but how old is your baby? I thought about taking our youngest on a cruise when she was 6 months old. Then I started thinking about everything I would have to pack: formula, bottles, extra diapers, wipes and so on. I would have to pack another suitcase just for those types of items....then another one for her clothes:p I would have had to take her stroller which would have been a royal pain in some areas of the ship. She tended to be fussy so I knew going to the dining room would be almost impossible. She also had difficulty sleeping in strange places. I could just imagine her crying all night and having some angry neighbors turning me into the pursers desk:eek: We decided to wait until she was older and I am glad I did.

I am in no way against anyone bring a baby on board....I just feel sorry for the parents if the baby decides he/she is not having the time of their lives:p Nor am I saying your baby was like my DD. Save up the money and take him/her on a great cruise when they can enjoy it a little:)

Sorry I can't help you there... every caribbean resort I have been to has been geared towards adults and don't allow children... but I know they are out there. You might want to do a search as I am sure there are message boards out there for land based resorts as well. Good luck!

Big problem is I need a vacation.

I understand that:p

Do you have a TA? I saw a show on the Travel Network about all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and a few included childcare. I didn't pay too much attantion since I was not interested in that typ of thing. Maybe a good TA could find out:)

Good luck!

Not positive but I believe that Norweigan, Disney, and HA all have infant rates. It seems most of what I have read says that they charge port charges and taxes only. I also read a post by a guy name flagger that said that he is only paying port charges and taxes for his 18 month old on RCCL. Try doing a search under the family cruising section.

Gabby

Carnival - See you in about 20 years!.

My 3 year old had a wonderful time on the boat. At 7, he still isn't the kind of kid that likes to be dragged around Disney World; cruising is wonderful with kids big enough for Camp. Don't think you have to stay away 20 years! .

I dont believe that the Coast Guard charges $400 per person for their occupancy on the ship. The price changes per stateroom as well. If its law then I guess no more cruising for me.

Rob, the Coast Guard doesn't charge anything....don't know what you mean by that. They simply determine how many passengers are on a ship.

Would like to know how old your baby is. If under four months of age, an infant can't cruise on Carnival.

You said YOU need a vacation - Don't ALL new parents?:D Would it be possible to leave your baby with grandparents? It would probably be a nice vacation for you both without diapers, formula, etc., and the baby certainly won't remember a thing about a cruise.

Hope you work something out.

Then I started thinking about everything I would have to pack: formula, bottles, extra diapers, wipes and so on. I would have to pack another suitcase just for those types of items....then another one for her clothes I would have had to take her stroller which would have been a royal pain in some areas of the ship. She tended to be fussy so I knew going to the dining room would be almost impossible. She also had difficulty sleeping in strange places. I could just imagine her crying all night and having some angry neighbors turning me into the pursers desk We decided to wait until she was older and I am glad I did.

This can all happen at a land vacation as well.

We had the pleasure of taking our then 7 month old to Europe (and again at 19 months, 3, 4 and 5 years old)! Luckily, it was family, yet worked out VERY well.

First do not listen to some of these smart As** on these posts. There seems to be a lot of them on the Carnival Thread than the other cruise threads. You asked a legit question. I know for a fact that NCL only charges the port and taxes for babies under two. I had two of my grandchildren on cruises and it was great. We celebrated two birthdays (they set up the decorations and cake). In fact one of them took their first steps and learned to walk on one of the cruises. (if they can walk on a ship they can walk anywhere.) Have a great cruise.

PS-We just took our first cruise on Carnival ( we have sailed NCL and RCCL many times) and it was excellent and in fact we booked a last minute cruise for next week on the same ship. So if you get a chance in the future try a Carnival Cruise.

Archived